Will Scotland ever be good again?

Guest DAVIDB69
“Coming through” we have Mctominay, Gilmour and Cochrane. The balance of probability is that they will be top class.

The reality is mctominay will be on loan somewhere very soon .

He isn’t remotely ready for international football

Around the same time Sablon commissioned the University of Louvain to carry out an extensive study on youth football in Belgium, which involved filming 1,500 matches across different age groups. He had worked closely with the clubs for some time, holding regular meetings with academy directors to exchange ideas and encourage them to contribute towards the changing face of Belgian football, but not everyone was convinced.

The university’s results, Sablon says, were a turning point. “That’s why we started with scientific analysis. If we showed the clubs the figures of young boys and girls playing at under-eight and under-nine, and they touched the ball twice in half an hour, no one can say that it’s good. We had the proof. We had the figures. And this was people who were known in football. The guy who made the analysis, Werner Helsen, was a player and a coach in the second division, so he’s a professor in university but also a real football man.”

One of the findings in the university research was that there was far too much emphasis on winning and not enough on developmen

We are playing with three defenders at a lower age to put them in difficulty.”

Our main motivation is we want to create technically skilled football players

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/06/belgium-blueprint-gave-birth-golden-generation-world-cup-

Scotland needs a unified vision for youth sport. One that has the twin goals of improving the health of the youth population and creating an array of talent for our international sports. We need our universities involved to be producing analysis of how to improve skills and stamina to produce elite junior athletes and researching which social or psychological barriers (ie a lot of young women do not like cycling because they feel "on display" and subject to cat calls) and have  parliament acting to try to remove them (i.e. mandating councils having to make space available for football etc) 

We need to research what works to improve skills for football in other countries and if necessary impose those changes on school sports. 

The days of expecting some waens down the park to kick a ball around and produce another Jimmy Johnstone\Jim Baxter are long long gone. 

We may have to look at innovative ways of raising funds. We could likely access money from the Lottery and research grants to help. 

Our clubs are not doing it, not my club, not your club. Our national FA is doing that, FA in terms of youth development. We need to stop dicking around as amateurs and realize there is a huge social good in terms of the long term health of the country that can be created from encouraging young girls and boys to take up sports. 

12 hours ago, forameus said:

We qualified for tournaments when all kids got was consumption for Christmas, and I doubt they really had the facilities that we could potentially have now.  

I agree with the rest of your post, but on that bit, worth saying that we qualified when everyone else was getting consumption too. We've only qualified for two tournaments since the collapses of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia. Now, countries like Belgium, Iceland and many others have got serious about youth development, and we're still praying that good players will just emerge from the current crappy set-up.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Stuart Armstrong is another great example of intelligence and hard work paying off.  He studies law through the Open University and seems to have his head screwed on.  He's got his move to the Barclays too.

I mind an interview with Armstrong and GMS the day they both signed for Celtic.  Armstrong was talking about his studies whilst GMS was playing Fifa in the background.  Now that's not to say every footballer should be working in the background to secure a great job once they retire,  but I think there could be some correlation between success as a sportsman and great academia.

This might be a bit controversial, but...

I don't think it's a coincidence that most of Scotland's genuinely elite level sportspeople in recent years - Andy Murray, Chris Hoy, Laura Muir, Kathleen Grainger among others - are middle class and from supportive families. I think people from a culture of striving for success, hard work and pressure are more likely to have the personal skills to push themselves on. You can't be eating fish suppers, going out drinking with your mates and be a top professional in physical sports any more. Andy Murray begged his parents to send him to Spain, he sacrificed his teenage years in his drive to reach the top, without any guarantees that it would work.

(For the record, I grew up 100% schemie). 

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The grass needs time to rest, I suspect.  However, councils should definitely do more to get people out playing by making other facilities available.

They do, but often it bites them on the arse, Greenfield football pitches left the gates open all the time, till one night the wee guys that were playing on it decided it would be mote fun to torch the 3g pitch and wreck thr goals

3 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

They do, but often it bites them on the arse, Greenfield football pitches left the gates open all the time, till one night the wee guys that were playing on it decided it would be mote fun to torch the 3g pitch and wreck thr goals

We had an 11s game there cancelled because of that.  One abandoned at Drumoyne because wee guys decided it'd be fun to shoot fireworks at the people playing.

Surely if we concentrate on improving domestic football (including a higher quality player coming into the country) by getting a better TV deal and marketing our product better the quality of Scottish player will improve and in turn our international game will also improve.

If all clubs had more money and got some decent talent in the door, the Scottish players around them would also improve (take Celtic for example) and even if the decent Scottish talent left the country, they'd be going to play for better clubs rather than falling into the Championship or below and being stuck in a black hole.

1 hour ago, boulderdomb said:

Surely if we concentrate on improving domestic football (including a higher quality player coming into the country) by getting a better TV deal and marketing our product better the quality of Scottish player will improve and in turn our international game will also improve.

If all clubs had more money and got some decent talent in the door, the Scottish players around them would also improve (take Celtic for example) and even if the decent Scottish talent left the country, they'd be going to play for better clubs rather than falling into the Championship or below and being stuck in a black hole.

How much is the croatian tv deal compared to the epl? 

Will we ever make it to the top table again?
Yes.
But in response to the question in the title, will we ever be good again?
When have Scotland ever been good?
Scotland have never achieved anything of any note. How many traditional footballing countries have never played a single knock-out match in a tournament? England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, East Germany, West Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, USSR, Ukraine, Russia, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, Saudi Arabia, USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, Ecuador, Peru, Senegal, Ghana, Nigeria, Morocco, Cameroon and Algeria have all achieved more in football than Scotland. That's 56 countries who have made the knock-out matches in the World Cup or the European Championship. Most of those European countries similar in stature to Scotland have done it many times, and most have gone beyond. Sixteen European countries have played in major finals and at least a further six have made a major semi-final.
It's a myth that Scotland have ever been any good at international football. We're down with Finland and Albania among the established countries who've never done anything in their whole history. 
But aye, we won a friendly of no consequence 3-2 in 1967 so we must have been great.
Great post

I don't see why not. Plenty of nations that are now good (and with good I mean at least regularly qualifying for tournaments) were completely rubbish in the past. Obviously, major reforms are needed and it might take a long time, but one day Scotland should at least be at the "good" level again.
You need to get rid of the rot in the SFA

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 03:32, GordonS said:
Will we ever make it to the top table again?
Yes.
But in response to the question in the title, will we ever be good again?
When have Scotland ever been good?
Scotland have never achieved anything of any note. How many traditional footballing countries have never played a single knock-out match in a tournament? England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, East Germany, West Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Croatia, Greece, Turkey, USSR, Ukraine, Russia, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, Saudi Arabia, USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, Ecuador, Peru, Senegal, Ghana, Nigeria, Morocco, Cameroon and Algeria have all achieved more in football than Scotland. That's 56 countries who have made the knock-out matches in the World Cup or the European Championship. Most of those European countries similar in stature to Scotland have done it many times, and most have gone beyond. Sixteen European countries have played in major finals and at least a further six have made a major semi-final.
It's a myth that Scotland have ever been any good at international football. We're down with Finland and Albania among the established countries who've never done anything in their whole history. 
But aye, we won a friendly of no consequence 3-2 in 1967 so we must have been great.

Great post

Agreed, great post which adds a touch of harsh reality.

What we need is some kind of brave project where the likes of Celtic and Rangers colts can regularly play against the part-time jobbers of league 2.  Then, and only then, will we qualify for the Euros/World Cup.

did I get that right?

9 hours ago, forameus said:

We had an 11s game there cancelled because of that.  One abandoned at Drumoyne because wee guys decided it'd be fun to shoot fireworks at the people playing.

lol we had stones and bits of bricks lobbed at us at milton once, thinking it was the neds backing the local team we just rode it out and hoped they would f**k off in the second half when we changed sides, 2nd half the wee neds started lobbing more shit at the local team :lol:

I’m a big believer in 3 foreigners rule so happens we were doing all right at that time in history gotta get more Scots playing at top level in the top league instead of below average imports sucking clubs  dry in wages they can ill afford to pay 

Guest Pampered Adolescent
20 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

I’m a big believer in 3 foreigners rule so happens we were doing all right at that time in history gotta get more Scots playing at top level in the top league instead of below average imports sucking clubs  dry in wages they can ill afford to pay 

As a Motherwell fan, and someone whom has kept an eye on Falkirk since 1996, when I moved to the area (until 2002), I would have loved us to have signed Craig Sibbald when his contract was up a season or so back. However, we couldn't afford the development fee, seemingly the same for others, as I believe, he signed a new deal to take him through an age related gate regarding said development fee.

Unfortunately I do not have any answer tonight (2 am), however, Motherwell has a disproportionate amount of non Scots due to the development fees. We do, however, promote promising talent to the first team, including our neighbours Accies, such that Chris Cadden has, by far, the most club appearances something like 110 all competitions at just 21 or 22.

Off to bed now!

Cheers

PA

2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Yet the last squad contained a lot of players playing at a level thats higher than the players of iceland etc

Scotland have guys playing regularly in the champions league, regularly in the epl, regularly in the championship down south, and these same guys have failed time and time again