I'll Have What ......

beefybake

These have been having...

Uruguay :          Population  3.397   Million

Croatia :            Population  4.171   Million

Costa Rica :     Population  4.857   Million

Denmark   :      Population   5.7    Million

Iceland   :          Population   0.3    Million

And why not...?     How Do They Do It...?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't the '78 plan that we'd have a team of Diego McClumphas by now?

The Tartan Army must have been firing blanks. No way thousands of pasty overweight Scots didn't get their hole among the sultry senoritas of South America.

Guest Moomintroll
Our national sports is Orange Walks.
We need more immigrants to get better at football. More Africans, more people not infected with the Scottish disease of acceptable underachievement.
We tried that with Islam Feruz, that did not end well.

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Our national sports is Orange Walks.

We need more immigrants to get better at football. More Africans, more people not infected with the Scottish disease of acceptable underachievement.

I'm originally from The Netherlands and played 4 years in senior Dutch non-league football as a left back. I'm a British citizen now and therefore eligible to play for Scotland. Should I consider coming out of retirement?

I'm originally from The Netherlands and played 4 years in senior Dutch non-league football as a left back. I'm a British citizen now and therefore eligible to play for Scotland. Should I consider coming out of retirement?
We're covered for LB - anywhere else and you'd be fine!!

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 minutes ago, Marten said:

We're covered for LB - anywhere else and you'd be fine!!

I suppose I could play RB too, done that a fair amount of times.

Most of their best players don't play in their country but abroad.

Uruguay almost actively encourage their players to go abroad.
Correct. We shouldn't be scared to encourage our young players to develop on the continent. It would lead to more cultured, technically sound and tactically knowledgeable players.

15 hours ago, Raidernation said:

No OF or SFA

Well...

Croatia is a bit of a strange one to look at given their records only go back to 1992, but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_First_Football_League

27 seasons. 19 won by Dinamo Zagreb.

Uruguay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Primera_División

Penarol, 49 titles. Nacional, 46 titles. Then Defensor Sporting, 4 titles.

Just as examples. Uruguay is a bit different again in that they have a long tradition with football and more importantly have Brazil and Argentina as neighbours. Any of their players who are any good are encouraged to go to Europe as soon as possible, and clubs don't really stand in the way of that. You'd imagine there's a bit of migration/adoption of neighbouring countries' cultures enough to engender good player development, but there's still a need to overcome the other obvious disadvantages. Perhaps there's something in the above notion of Scotland being full of shitebags.

None of this is to suggest having a duopoly like the Old Firm is or has been a good thing for the Scottish national team. It certainly isn't now, where a move to there is seen primarily as an achievement rather than a stepping stone to better things. Portugal have  a similar record here with Sporting, Benfica and Porto winning all of their competitions and they still manage to produce good players regularly.

The only thing I can come back to is it being a cultural problem. Too much money in England which offers great reward in return for comparably meagre achievement - Dylan McGeouch, recent Scotland cap, is effectively made for life by going to an English League 1 team. Where's the motivation to improve there?

56 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:
4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
Most of their best players don't play in their country but abroad.

Uruguay almost actively encourage their players to go abroad.

Correct. We shouldn't be scared to encourage our young players to develop on the continent. It would lead to more cultured, technically sound and tactically knowledgeable players.

The continent don't want them as they aren't good enough though.  Our problems obvious start at the earliest stages but f**k that. Shteevie G's here now and If Celtic get out of their Champions League group the Scottish game will be well on the way to recovery.

School classes where children are encouraged not to achieve in case it upsets the slower ones, and sports where there are no winners , only participants, encourages a mind set of ‘ that’ll do’.  Our historical risk taking, entrepreneurial spirit has been managed out of us over the past 40 years of striving for egalitarianism.

Aim for the best at all times and we may recover!

Archived