Barrhead Travel - Holiday Money

Newbornbairn

Get a starling bank account.

Works in the same way as a regular bank account but there’s no fees for using it abroad and you get the MasterCard exchange rate on purchases and cash withdrawals. This is a better rate than you’ll get anywhere else.

When I go abroad now I don’t take cash with me. Merely go to a cash machine at my destination (not at the airport they charge ATM fees) and withdraw what is needed.

The Halifax clarity credit card and tandem credit card work in much the same way for purchases abroad but they charge for cash withdrawals.

ETA when asked abroad by a cash or card machine if you want to use GBP or the local currency ALWAYS pick the local currency.
Clarity doesn't charge for cash withdrawsls

On 10/07/2018 at 12:28, NewBornBairn said:

Recently bought Euros from Barrhead Travel in Stirling - £2k @ £1.11 to the Euro. The next week the wife and I were at The Fort and she decides to get her money so changed £1500. Wasn't until we were putting the money together a few days later we discovered we'd only got £1.06 to the Euro. When I went in to complain they said they can do this because unlike other Currency shops, they don't display their rates on a board so they can charge what they want.

Basically, if you demand their best rate they give you a competitive one. If you trust them to give you the rate you received a few days earlier, they'll fiddle you.

Emailed them, no response so thought I'd warn folk of their shady practices.

don't understand why anyone would change money while not knowing the rates.

and why would you expect the rates to be the same a week later?

On 10/07/2019 at 21:23, Lex said:

It does.

IMG_0839.jpg

They don't charge you for the withdrawal - you just pay interest on it instantly (ie the next day) rather than waiting until after the next bill. If you use your mobile banking app to transfer money into it the same day (or if you just chuck some money into your credit card account before you go) then it will cost you nothing at all. I do this all the time.

Edited by craigkillie