Your Club's Biggest Legends

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really would have to include Michael Johnston if making up a Kilmarnock list.  Cleared millions of pounds of debt whilst keeping the club in the top division and hiring the manager to bring us a trophy.  Ok so he then sacked that manager but still.

Few questionable decisions but he is our Fergus McCann to some extent.

Would put him in over players like Paul Wright for example.

14 hours ago, Mr. X said:

Barney Battles

Willie Bauld

John Cumming

Jimmy Wardaugh

Rudi Skacel 

Reveal hidden contents

384de102dfc5a82958da9c93ae8530ce.jpg

No Dave Mackay or John Robertson?

Would have gordon Marshall as well, collected 5 medals with Hearts.

29 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

You really would have to include Michael Johnston if making up a Kilmarnock list. 

Not sure if serious.  He has got Killie back on a good financial footing, but has recouped a hotel for himself and next year will be in a position to sell a major shareholding, all in return for £1 investment.  Beyond that, he enjoyed a position at the SFA and had the club keep his business afloat with legal fees.  Who is to say that any other competent chairperson would not have managed to negotiate with the bank like he did?

Killie has undoubtedly benefitted from a business sense, but has also had to endure a decade of alienation and degradation at the hands of a man clearly as interested, if not more interested, in ensuring that he profitted from his involvement with the club.   

The debates as to whether MJ has been a good / bad / indifferent thing for Kilmarnock Football Club can rumble on in the pubs, but I have to pull you up at the mere suggestion that he might be afforded 'legend' status.  

Not sure if serious.  He has got Killie back on a good financial footing, but has recouped a hotel for himself and next year will be in a position to sell a major shareholding, all in return for £1 investment.  Beyond that, he enjoyed a position at the SFA and had the club keep his business afloat with legal fees.  Who is to say that any other competent chairperson would not have managed to negotiate with the bank like he did?
Killie has undoubtedly benefitted from a business sense, but has also had to endure a decade of alienation and degradation at the hands of a man clearly as interested, if not more interested, in ensuring that he profitted from his involvement with the club.   
The debates as to whether MJ has been a good / bad / indifferent thing for Kilmarnock Football Club can rumble on in the pubs, but I have to pull you up at the mere suggestion that he might be afforded 'legend' status.  

That’s 1.

On 7/12/2018 at 13:04, Tony Wonder said:

No Dave Mackay or John Robertson?

Would have gordon Marshall as well, collected 5 medals with Hearts.

Dave Mackay was one that I was swithering about, an absolute legend and the most successful career of the lot, but I had to squeeze in Skacel somehow.  Robbo was a legend especially against Hibs, but I could only choose five . 

On 7/12/2018 at 12:40, Dindeleux said:

You really would have to include Michael Johnston if making up a Kilmarnock list.  Cleared millions of pounds of debt whilst keeping the club in the top division and hiring the manager to bring us a trophy.  Ok so he then sacked that manager but still.

Few questionable decisions but he is our Fergus McCann to some extent.

Would put him in over players like Paul Wright for example.

Thats 2.

Phil O'Donnell - Scottish Cup winner at 19, scored in the final, netted us a healthy fee when sold then returned to captain the club before his untimely death. A brilliant player and a 100% club legend.

Davie Cooper - Another Cup winner and a genius of a winger.

Tommy Coyne - My favourite Motherwell player in my time. Classy, clinical and made the whole team tick. We've never had a player quote like him since.

Dougie Arnott - A great wee striker for us. Cup winner and regular scourge of the Old Firm sides.

Brian Martin - like Coyne, he's never been replaced.

Nacho Novo - The often forgotten hero of Skippy Sunday. Without his goal for Rangers against Hibs then that glorious day wouldn't have been the same.

Guest Pampered Adolescent
1 hour ago, MJC said:

Even Sevconians are jealous of my uber-bigotry.

FTFY ya walloper.

1 hour ago, Pampered Adolescent said:

FTFY ya walloper.

I defy you or anyone else to give one example of any bigotry, Uber or otherwise, that I have posted on here. 

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:31, RandomGuy. said:

I'm hopeful an older poster like Radford or PauloPerth come in with a detailed post, as I've only seen Saints for the last 15 odd seasons, but I'd assume ours looks something like.. 

1. Geoff Brown

2. Tommy Wright 

3. Willie Ormond

And then it becomes a bit subjective. I'd assume Henry Hall would be four due to being record goalscorer. Steven Anderson is record appearance holder so deserves a mention, and then you've got players from memorable squads like the Cup winners and John Connolly. 

What about Willie Coburn?

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:46, Frank Grimes said:

Willie Miller

Alex Ferguson

Joe Harper 

Alex McLeish

Jim Leighton 

I'd have Eddie Turnbull in there. Don't know who I'd leave out, mind.

11 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Think if you were going to have him, you'd have to have a lot of that late sixties team – and John Connolly was probably the best of them.

I suppose if legends isn't limited to the best, but the most iconic, then as far as players go, I'd pick Hall or Connolly (early seventies), John Brogan (late 1970s), Roddy Grant (1980s) and probably Macca.

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

He's be in the argument the other two spaces, I'd imagine. The three quoted are stick ons for everyone's list, I'd have though. The other two will probably be defined by your age. 

Coburns desire to work for the club, to the point that when Id play football on the astro at 9 at night on a Monday, he'd be there watching the games and then closing the gates, probably helps his cause. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's be in the argument the other two spaces, I'd imagine. The three quoted are stick ons for everyone's list, I'd have though. The other two will probably be defined by your age. 

Coburns desire to work for the club, to the point that when Id play football on the astro at 9 at night on a Monday, he'd be there watching the games and then closing the gates, probably helps his cause. 

That's why I suggested him - I read somewhere (probably your Cup Final thread) about the amount of work he did for the club after he hung up his boots.

Still think he was a dirty wee bugger as a player, but that's another story...

Archived