Your Club's Biggest Legends

With it still being pre-season and not much better to talk about, I thought this would be an ideal topic. It's a fairly subjective question, but I thought we could see if we could get a consensus as to who the top 5 legends for each club are. This combined with the recent passing of one of Dundee's biggest ever legends prompted my thoughts for this thread.

I'll start with Dundee's, feel free to disagree Dee's:

1. Bobby Cox

bo.jpg

Probably the most famous image in Dundee's history. Our league winning captain, and the man who led us on an incredible journey in Europe. He was also voted as Dundee's most inspiring Dundonian: https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2016/02/23/bobby-cox-chosen-as-most-inspiring-dundonian/

Rightfully known as 'Mr Dundee'

2. Alan Gilzean

image.jpg@1.717329.jpg

Heartbreaking news that we've lost such an icon. It takes a special talent to be known as the 'King' at two separate football clubs. Tottenham fans of a certain age say that Dimitar Berbatov at his very best was similar in play style to Gilzean but still half the player. Unfortunately I never saw him play, but the reception he received when he visited Dens a few year back highlighted just how loved he still is and always will be. A contender for our new stadium to be named after him.

3. Bob Shankly

C5fScWzWMAAJGKl.jpg

Overshadowed by his more famous brother, but still Dundee's most successful ever manager. Won the league and led us on an incredible journey in Europe. Our away stand at Dens is named in his honour.

4. Jocky Scott

_45159118_jockyscott282.jpg

Probably the most famous Dee in the modern era simply due to the amount of times he's managed us. Led the line the last time we won a major honour and is either just behind or ahead of Gilzean as our record ever goalscorer.

5. Anyone else in our league winning squad/Barry Smith (For saving the club and captaining us for a decade)/Doug Cowie (Record ever appearance holder and captained us for more than a decade).

I've got a personal top 5 (For instance Jim Duffy would be in mine considering he put his hand in his own pocket and tried to keep the club afloat) but I've tried to stay as logical as possible rather than merely picking my favourites.

Over to P&B, who is your club's top 5 legends and why?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hopeful an older poster like Radford or PauloPerth come in with a detailed post, as I've only seen Saints for the last 15 odd seasons, but I'd assume ours looks something like.. 

1. Geoff Brown

2. Tommy Wright 

3. Willie Ormond

And then it becomes a bit subjective. I'd assume Henry Hall would be four due to being record goalscorer. Steven Anderson is record appearance holder so deserves a mention, and then you've got players from memorable squads like the Cup winners and John Connolly. 

If, as RG suggests non players are eligible then clearly Fergus McCann,  who saved Celtic,  paying the bills,  preventing liquidation and preserving the history would be in there,  players/managers  purely would be my first four of Jinky, Mr Stein, Cesaer and Henke, in all seriousness several contenders for spot 5....

McGrain, Chalmers,  Lennox,  Gemmell,  Dalglish,  Jimmy Delaney and many others could lay a claim, even modern day figures like Martin O'Neill,  Neil Lennon, Brendan Rodgers,   Scott Brown and Paul McStay would all be reasonable shouts.

Tony Fitzpatrick

Billy Abercromby

Campbell Money

Steven Thompson

Craig Samson

Shug Murray

Future legend:

Stephen McGinn

Would love Cammy Smith to stay about long enough to write himself into the books.

Subjective but, in my Saints supporting lifetime...

Alex Ferguson and the 1977 Fergie’s Furies team, Stewart Gilmour, Tony Fitzpatrick, Billy Abercromby, Shuggie Murray, Stevie Thompson, Jim Goodwin and Danny Lennon for 2013, Yardley & Lavety, Barry McLaughlin, Ian Ferguson for that goal in 1987, the Paisley pandas who were pwoper naughty.

Alex Ferguson 

The 1987 Scottish Cup winning team

The 2013 League Cup winning team 

Gunni Torfason , Shuggy, Dorman, Yardley, Basher .

Too many to mention them all.

If, as RG suggests non players are eligible then clearly Fergus McCann,  who saved Celtic,  paying the bills,  preventing liquidation and preserving the history would be in there,  players/managers  purely would be my first four of Jinky, Mr Stein, Cesaer and Henke, in all seriousness several contenders for spot 5....

McGrain, Chalmers,  Lennox,  Gemmell,  Dalglish,  Jimmy Delaney and many others could lay a claim, even modern day figures like Martin O'Neill,  Neil Lennon, Brendan Rodgers,   Scott Brown and Paul McStay would all be reasonable shouts.
It should be:

1 Fergus McCann
2 Fergus McCann
3 Fergus McCann
4 Fergus McCann
5 Fergus McCann

Without him you'd still be the biscuit tin club

Archived