Next Tory leader /Prime minister

doulikefish

There's no doubt that Brexit has destroyed politics as we know it in this country (not before time it could be argued), I mean what chance does the electorate have when the actual parties don't even have an official stance or really know what or who they're supposed to be standing for or representing ??

The winners from all of this have got to be the SNP as they at least have set their stall out, with close links to the EU but independence from the UK, everyone may not agree, but at least it's a clear and straightforward choice, unlike the others.

It will be very interesting to see the battlelines of the next election, that's for sure..........

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no doubt that Brexit has destroyed politics as we know it in this country (not before time it could be argued), I mean what chance does the electorate have when the actual parties don't even have an official stance or really know what or who they're supposed to be standing for or representing ??
The winners from all of this have got to be the SNP as they at least have set their stall out, with close links to the EU but independence from the UK, everyone may not agree, but at least it's a clear and straightforward choice, unlike the others.

You’d think so. But the Brexit vote was in 2016. In the 2017 general election the SNP lost more seats than every other party (Labour and the Tories included) combined.

Funny old game eh?

13 minutes ago, Lex said:

You’d think so. But the Brexit vote was in 2016. In the 2017 general election the SNP lost more seats than every other party (Labour and the Tories included) combined.

Funny old game eh?

The Tories weren't in the complete turmoil back in 2017 that they are in now, not to mention that it's only recently that people have begun waking up to the fact that there is and never was any Brexit plan and of course they've all proven themselves to be completely and hopelessly incompetent.

16 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

The EU has ran its course.....a failed social experiment which is no more than a massive ponzi-scheme.

This is the sort of attitude that generates so much hostility from the EU.
It seems you would like to see the disintegration of the EU and seem surprised when they are not willing to oblige.

If the Brexit lot had said "Maybe the EU is fine for everybody else but it's not for us - we're leaving", then that might have worked better.

Instead there is constant talk of other countries leaving (although they never do) and the complete collapse of the EU, which is what the Brexit brigade actually want.
Why would the EU ever agree to its own demise?

Tories in crisis.... Yougov publish a poll boosting May. Like clockwork. UK Rasmussen.
Polls outside election campaigns don't mean much but Survation had Labour on 40% at the weekend two points ahead.
Thought exactly the same actually.
Yougov poll in three...two...one...

5 hours ago, Fullerene said:

This is the sort of attitude that generates so much hostility from the EU.
It seems you would like to see the disintegration of the EU and seem surprised when they are not willing to oblige.

If the Brexit lot had said "Maybe the EU is fine for everybody else but it's not for us - we're leaving", then that might have worked better.

Instead there is constant talk of other countries leaving (although they never do) and the complete collapse of the EU, which is what the Brexit brigade actually want.
Why would the EU ever agree to its own demise?

It won't, but the unelected bureaucrats know that their gravy train has to terminate at some point.

A restriction on freedom of movement to the UK to protect our already groaning under the strain public services and the ability to set own laws wasn't that big an ask for Cameron to avoid us having to vote to leave in the first place. Sadly he shat the bed big time.

21 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

This chat you get about the "failing/dying EU" becomes funnier by the day.

Old Blighty telling the gerrys and frogs what for was supposed to kill off the EU and two years later it's the UK that has asked for more time to leave, had its bluff called on absolutely everything, had the first of possibly several waste of time elections and is generally just a full shit-in-pants,  floundering, laughing stock.

Do you think there's any point in reminding them who won the fucking war?

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:58, LincolnHearts said:

It won't, but the unelected bureaucrats know that their gravy train has to terminate at some point.

A restriction on freedom of movement to the UK to protect our already groaning under the strain public services and the ability to set own laws wasn't that big an ask for Cameron to avoid us having to vote to leave in the first place. Sadly he shat the bed big time.

I disagree on this.  If you are going to be part of a club then you have to accept the rules of the club and that means you can't have your own rules that undermine the club.

On the issue of migration, I have more understanding.  England is an overcrowded place.  I can understand some people in England resenting MORE people, even if those additional people make a positive contribution to the country,

However, the EU cannot offer the UK a special deal on migration.  It affects every country in the world and certainly other countries in the EU.
If it offers anything to the UK, it will have to offer it to the other 27 as well - or it simply will not work.

Unfortunately the UK is full of crap politicians who say "we have got a moat - let's pull up the drawbridge and ignore the rest of the world."

The sort of politician we really need is one who says "we have an issue with migration - and I guess you do as well.  Let's solve this together."

Who would that be?

I disagree on this.  If you are going to be part of a club then you have to accept the rules of the club and that means you can't have your own rules that undermine the club.
On the issue of migration, I have more understanding.  England is an overcrowded place.  I can understand some people in England resenting MORE people, even if those additional people make a positive contribution to the country,
However, the EU cannot offer the UK a special deal on migration.  It affects every country in the world and certainly other countries in the EU.
If it offers anything to the UK, it will have to offer it to the other 27 as well - or it simply will not work.
Unfortunately the UK is full of crap politicians who say "we have got a moat - let's pull up the drawbridge and ignore the rest of the world."
The sort of politician we really need is one who says "we have an issue with migration - and I guess you do as well.  Let's solve this together."
Who would that be?
England is not overcrowded but

Archived