The Barbecue thread

Just now, Bairnardo said:
Just now, Zen Archer said:
Do you soak them?

I believe you are supposed to aye. Never tried it before.

I've seen some programmes where they are soaked in whisky.

On that note, I have several bags of whisky barrels that were chopped up for kindling, I might try chipping them and have a wee shot at smoking a dead animal.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen some programmes where they are soaked in whisky.
On that note, I have several bags of whisky barrels that were chopped up for kindling, I might try chipping them and have a wee shot at smoking a dead animal.
I did read that you can mess about with soaking them ie in fruit juices, wine, whisky etc depending on what you are cooking. I will settle for just managing to get some smoky flavour out it first then f**k about with it later

I soak the wood chips for a day or so before using them, can get away with less though. Do it at as low a heat as I can so it takes longer for that more smokey taste.

I just use an old shortbread tin with a bit of chicken wire as the stand with the lid slightly ajar for the smoke to get out, simple and cheap.

After years of not getting it right I finally ‘mastered’ the barbecue a few years back.  Maybe I’m a slow learner.

On that note I’ve tried wood chips (pre soaked) on a few occasions and can’t say I’ve noticed a discernible difference to the taste.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 18:42, philpy said:

Kebabs cooking away nicely for tonight

. IMG_20180709_184408.jpg

don't mean to unduly dis' your kebabs an' all, but that looks like jeffrey dahmer has been picking up BBQ supplies at a jewish boy's camp....

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

Built this last weekend, done some ribs and some pulled pork on it. Still trying to get the hang of translating the dial temps to real temps but trying to cook some chicken wings and thighs on it right nowIMAG0314.jpg

Some time later...

images-1.jpeg

1 hour ago, the tungston weasel said:

Built this last weekend, done some ribs and some pulled pork on it. Still trying to get the hang of translating the dial temps to real temps but trying to cook some chicken wings and thighs on it right nowIMAG0314.jpg

Nice Crude Oil smoke ring.

Carcinogenolicious.

Built this last weekend, done some ribs and some pulled pork on it. Still trying to get the hang of translating the dial temps to real temps but trying to cook some chicken wings and thighs on it right nowIMAG0314.thumb.jpg.7fbeb7082d603687ec4b35d2c8170d25.jpg
I take it you are using it as a smoker?

Future Chicken was good (and i still have one of my eyebrows). Done a salt and pepper, chilli and bbq glazed wings and thighs think i used a bit too much salt in the rubs though.

Yup using it as a smoker but stuck different levels on it so i can stick the fire basket higher and use it for grilling aswell.

I've gone a bit bbq daft in the last few years. I currently have a wood pellet smoker, an offset stick burner, and electric wood chip smoker and a gas grill. Each has it's time and place. I just made a 10lb pulled pork and i used a combination of cherry, apple and a wee touch of hickory woodf. It took right around 18 hours to cook and it was worth every minute. Bbq is the laziest and easiest way to cook which suits me just fine.

7 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

Nice.

Some size.
Looks like you could fit half a pig in there.

16 minutes ago, sjc said:

I'm looking to build a BBQ in the garden. Was hoping for it to also have a pizza oven and smoker. 

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Wait till the end of the typhoon season before making long term plans. And make your barbecue earthquake proof.

4 hours ago, sjc said:

I'm looking to build a BBQ in the garden. Was hoping for it to also have a pizza oven and smoker. 

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

I built a barbecue in the garden of my old house. Cost me a fortune. 27,000 bricks and half a ton of cement. My house was on the 4th floor!

Archived