Celtic Nations Euro 2028 Bid

A bit of fun as I'm bored. In light of the expansion of the Euros to 24 teams and the fact that a 3 nation host for the 2026 world cup has been recently chosen, could a joint bid be launched from Scotland, Wales and Republic of Ireland? 

Possible stadiums could be as follows:

1. Murrayfield - Edinburgh, Sco (67,144) 

2. Celtic Park - Glasgow, Sco (60,411)

3. Ibrox - Glasgow, Sco (50,817)

4. Aberdeen - Aberdeen, Sco (30,000)

---------------------------------------------

5. Liberty Stadium - Swansea, Wal (30,000)

6. Millenium Stadium - Cardiff, Wal (74,500)

7. Parc y Scarlets - Llanelli, Wal (30,000) 

----------------------------------------------

8. Aviva Stadium - Dublin, Ire (51,700)

9. Páirc na nGael - Limerick, Ire (35,000)

10. Páirc Uí Chaoimh - Cork, Ire (35,000)

Some of the capacities above are existing, some proposed. I've tried to pick stadiums which could realistically be converted then perhaps reduced after the tournament. There would be some excellent large stadiums in there and only 1 city with 2 grounds. I'm not sure how the Gaelic grounds in Ireland would work for football though might be a bit large. Also not sure what the requirements for infrastructure are but most of the cities listed are well linked.  

There would never be a bid involving Scotland that doesn’t include Hampden, but UEFA would also frown upon three stadia in one city (as they did for the Euro 2008 bid).

Since everything related to Scottish Football has to ultimately keep both the arse cheeks in perfect balance, it means any bid is a non-starter sadly. 

9 minutes ago, The Master said:

There would never be a bid involving Scotland that doesn’t include Hampden, but UEFA would also frown upon three stadia in one city (as they did for the Euro 2008 bid).

Since everything related to Scottish Football has to ultimately keep both the arse cheeks in perfect balance, it means any bid is a non-starter sadly. 

Hampden could well be sold for housing by this stage. I'm sure you can have 1 city within the bid with 2 stadiums and thus keeping the bigots appeased. 

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Aberdeen to build another new stadium?

Or get the Russian scaffolders in?

Yeah temporary increase with some rickety scaffolds in place. Thousands of pissed up Eastern Europeans could descend on the quaint, sleepy village of Westhill. I'm sure the locals wouldn't mind. 

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Euro 2024 bidding is part-completed... Germany v Turkey.

10 stadiums in 9 cities (including Llanelli :lol:) is borderline inadequate.

Is it not 10 stadiums that is required for a Euro bid? 

19 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Euro 2024 bidding is part-completed... Germany v Turkey.

Hmm, tough to call that one. Obviously folk will want it in Germany but will the Turks get the sympathy vote after 3 failed attempts?

Euros or world cup fifa and eufa absolutely hate the home nations no chance it's happening, the fact England can't get a world cup with the best stadia and football infrastructure in the world tells you this.

17 hours ago, kenny131 said:

Euros or world cup fifa and eufa absolutely hate the home nations no chance it's happening, the fact England can't get a world cup with the best stadia and football infrastructure in the world tells you this.

Yeah I hear public transport in England is the best in the world.

21 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

I'm not sure how the Gaelic grounds in Ireland would work for football though might be a bit large.

Just a bit. The pitch size in your link is 157yds x 96yds.

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 7/9/2018 at 10:52, thisal said:
Just a bit. The pitch size in your link is 157yds x 96yds.

Easier for pitches to be shortened than extended

That's not really the problem though is it.

On 08/07/2018 at 17:00, kenny131 said:

England will host 3 group stage matches, one round of 16, both semi finals and the final of Euro 2020. Hampden also has 3 group matches and a round of 16. Since the turn of the century UEFA has given major finals to Scotland twice, Wales twice, England three times and Ireland once. 

England is hosting the UEFA Under 17 Championship this year, Ireland have it next year and Northern Ireland have the U19s the year after that. Northern Ireland hosted the Women's U19 Championship last year, and Scotland will host it next year.

So I think you're mistaken.

On 08/07/2018 at 13:27, Falcor Roar said:

Yeah temporary increase with some rickety scaffolds in place. Thousands of pissed up Eastern Europeans could descend on the quaint, sleepy village of Westhill. I'm sure the locals wouldn't mind. 

well iam sure they voted to stay in the eu and  say i dont have a problem with eastern  european workers.......

Archived