Croatia v England - semi final

banana

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Modric's entirely accurate comments about the arrogant English media seem to have upset plenty of their journos on Twitter.

I think that because they started the tournament quite humble and with few expectations, the English press believed they carried on that way. They don't recognize that they went into full overhype mode the minute that England got a good win over a rubbish Panama team, looked at their side of the draw and didn't see any big name nations.

England are all about the names, they would fear playing Germany more, even when they were shown to be playing really badly, than give the proper respect that is due to Croatia, whom they don't regard as anything special because they aren't a "big" name.

Not sure they were for the first hour, to be fair.  It was just their lack of flexibility which meant that, once Croatia actually put their arse in gear and switched things up a bit, England weren't able to react.   In terms of the managers, I think the Croatian boss was significantly superior to Gareth Southgate, but I don't think Croatia were the better team.
You don't think Croatia were the better side? I thought they were, quite comfortably. They couldn't seem to find their rhythm in the first half but from the second half onwards they seemed to pull it together and were in control.

England yet again created very little. I've heard on more than one occasion "they should have taken their first half chances" - they created one excluding their goal! Kane made a balls up but it was given offside so is that really a chance? The phrase "should have taken their chances" suggests to me a side has been battering their opponents goal. England never did that at any stage during the game. 2 shots on target all game tells the story. Even when Croatia weren't at their best they still hit the target more than England.

First real test of the tournament - failed. The pundits and media will convince themselves this side could do big things in 2020 as a result of them getting past a few poor sides. They'll also completely forget that the big sides will never all be as poor at a major tournament again.

All the English guys in the office are silent this morning. Literally not a peep out of any of them. Funny that. Glorious too. I haven't said anything to them either, just enjoying their squirming.

You don't think Croatia were the better side? I thought they were, quite comfortably. They couldn't seem to find their rhythm in the first half but from the second half onwards they seemed to pull it together and were in control.

England yet again created very little. I've heard on more than one occasion "they should have taken their first half chances" - they created one excluding their goal! Kane made a balls up but it was given offside so is that really a chance? The phrase "should have taken their chances" suggests to me a side has been battering their opponents goal. England never did that at any stage during the game. 2 shots on target all game tells the story. Even when Croatia weren't at their best they still hit the target more than England.

First real test of the tournament - failed. The pundits and media will convince themselves this side could do big things in 2020 as a result of them getting past a few poor sides. They'll also completely forget that the big sides will never all be as poor at a major tournament again.

Agree with you mate. England did well to get as far as they did but were over reliant on set pieces. All their best players in this tournament have been defensive and when up against sides with gifted hard working midfielders they were found wanting. They lack a creative intelligent midfielder who can pick open defences and last night it showed big style.

Throw into the equation that the cards they were dealt through the draw and other big hitters stuffing up big style and they will never get a better chance.

Surely next time round Brazil , Germany , Spain , Argentina will improve and that's before you consider the likes of Italy and the Netherlands who didn't even qualify.

8 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

England is basically what Rangers would be like as a country

Harry Maguire is the most Rangers faced player in the world, and has the personality to match it with his incessant whining and cheating.

Any suggestion of this England team somehow being likeable is immediately shot down when you consider it contains that rodent and Pickford.

Are we all now agreed that it was totally worth them getting 45 minutes into the semi final with the hype machine intact?

Hindsight has turned the last week from an utter cringe nightmare to a quote laden BANTZFEST.

Very pleasing to see Pickford flapping at shots and kicking straight to the opposition under pressure last night. A few routine saves in the Sweden game and a worldie against Colombia had people touting him for the Golden Glove :lol:

7 hours ago, DrewDon said:

The best thing about Mandžukić's goal was that Pickford had been taunting him whilst he lay injured on the ground only minutes earlier. Pickford is a horrible little scrote, and he got exactly what he deserved. 

Absolutely this even  if only he'd have went and give him it tight when scoring would've been even better.

What was even better was Ian Wright's face when they went back to the studio first time.  With Keane just waiting to rip them all a new one. 

An average team which over achieved  the draw opened up nicely for them but if they had topped the group they'd have been gone long ago.  

10 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Harry Kane' s Golden Boot:

A header.

A tap-in.

A deflection.

And 3 penalties.

A Record Breaking worst Golden Boot in history.

He also hit the post from about a yard out.  :whistle

20 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Harry Maguire is the most Rangers faced player in the world, and has the personality to match it with his incessant whining and cheating.

Any suggestion of this England team somehow being likeable is immediately shot down when you consider it contains that rodent and Pickford.

Aye but they were on inflatable unicorns in the training base so they're all just nice boys and best pals.

:titter

20 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Why can't  Pickford speak without rubbing the back of his head?

Piers Morgan was good this morning, within an hour he had promoted Modric from a great player, to one of the top 3 or 4 in the world.........to the 3rd best player in the world.

Robbie Savage on Five Live interviewing Brooking and Winters, can almost hear the tears falling on the microphones.

Might keep Radio 5 on all day and listen to the misery

Phrase of the day is 'a golden opportunity missed'

Archived