Croatia v England - semi final

banana

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, scotfree said:

Of course, there is.  But the England team don't do pressure well.

Aye...big time charlie team...big time charlie losers.

Always enjoy laying England and taking money aff mugg Southron punters. They always push engerlunds odds far too high.

Oh how fucking sweet it is! Delicious English tears. Drink it up my republican brethren. 

At least all you subservient boot licking colonial sycophants can take solace from the fact that your masters are still proud of their endeavours.

G.I.R.F.U.Y

59 minutes ago, The Equalizer said:

Oh how fucking sweet it is! Delicious English tears. Drink it up my republican brethren. 

At least all you subservient boot licking colonial sycophants can take solace from the fact that your masters are still proud of their endeavours.

G.I.R.F.U.Y

They've all disappeared for some reason.

It's daft to say England aren't contenders at the next Euros, mediocre Greece and Portugal teams both shithoused their way to the title, both arguably worse than this England side.

That said, if they're ever going to win another trophy this was by far their best chance, and they're unlikely to fluke as easy a route to the final as this for a long time. England can 100% knock one of the top teams out, but to win the Euros/WC they'd almost definitely have to do it at least twice.  Even that shite Portugal team that drew 5 of their 6 games still knocked out Croatia, France and Gareth Bale FC. 

6 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's daft to say England aren't contenders at the next Euros, mediocre Greece and Portugal teams both shithoused their way to the title, both arguably worse than this England side.

Plus they'll be playing at Wembley.

Just now, Lurkst said:

Plus they'll be playing at Wembley.

Aye exactly. The Football Coming Home mentality is obviously cringe as f**k but that sort of atmosphere combined with home advantage could give them a lift. 

Despite that though they're still in that echelon of teams who need to rely on a favourable draw and a few big guns underperforming for them to have a chance at silverware. Probably unlikely they'll get that perfect storm again for a while.

As much as us Scots would love to deny it, England are a decent team. They're not top class but have some players that could hurt any team on their day. They're very dangerous at set pieces but perhaps a bit to pedestrian in the opposition final 3rd. They lack playmaker in the mould  and quality of a Modric but they do have some promising youngsters coming through. We're seeing in recent years a few of these youngsters moving to Spanish and German Clubs in order to get 1st team football. This could not only help their development but also their football education in playing the game at a different tempo compared to the English leagues.

Croatia were the better team by far, when England missed those first half chances you knew it would come back to bite them in the arse and the Croatia team that came out on the second half were never losing that tie. A thoroughly enjoyable match that was fit for any World Cup semi final.

43 minutes ago, throbber said:

Croatia were the better team by far, when England missed those first half chances you knew it would come back to bite them in the arse and the Croatia team that came out on the second half were never losing that tie. A thoroughly enjoyable match that was fit for any World Cup semi final.

Not sure they were for the first hour, to be fair.  It was just their lack of flexibility which meant that, once Croatia actually put their arse in gear and switched things up a bit, England weren't able to react.   In terms of the managers, I think the Croatian boss was significantly superior to Gareth Southgate, but I don't think Croatia were the better team.

5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

The best thing about Mandžukić's goal was that Pickford had been taunting him whilst he lay injured on the ground only minutes earlier. Pickford is a horrible little scrote, and he got exactly what he deserved. 

I wasn't sure about that so thanks for confirming, thought it might've been a different player - from the angle it was impossible to make out just what he was saying but it looked full-on bellend to me.

I hadn't realised he was such a dick.

9 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Hopefully, once the dust settles, everyone will see this wasn't as miraculous as it was made out to be. 

Apart from in England, nobody thinks this was miraculous. And, in England, it will become more miraculous as time passes, imho.

Amazing how a lucky draw can be distorted into some sort of heroic triumph.

They fell at the first actual hurdle.  They are just extremely lucky it came in the semi final.

Don't get me wrong they did pretty well but they need to give it a rest now.

6 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

In that you were beat by the first decent team you faced. Nothing more. As I said.

I was?

I'm Scottish and as loads of posts on here prove, am hugely relieved that England have lost.  You must feel a bit daft though in saying that a "thumping" for them was "overdue".  

There's still no evidence to suggest that was the case. 

England haven't really over-achieved here at all. Had we seen at the start how the fixtures would play out, getting to the Semi-Final would have hardly been labelled a "miracle".

- Scraped a late win over Tunisia

- Scudded the worst team in the tournament

- Lost a meaningless match to Belgium

- Scraped a win on penalties against a Colombia team clueless without James Rodrigues

- Easily defeated a thoroughly drab Sweden side

- Lost to the first genuinely decent side with sometime to actually play for

Archived