Auchinleck Talbot 2018/19

Blackie Gold

19 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Hampden has nothing to do with it, it's in the opposite direction.

I suspect, though, that Rosebery Park (Shawfield's ground) was actually just a few yards over the boundary into Glasgow, as "Boundary Road" is at the traffic lights outside Shawfield Stadium and Rosebery Park was just round the corner towards Polmadie.

So it's probable that, in 1939, Rutherglen was still a Royal Burgh with its own constitency, while Shawfield (less than three quarters of a mile along the same road) was actually part of Glasgow. That's certainly how it is now.

Rutherglen was a Burgh until 1983 and so would have been in a different constituency at the time. In fact the two teams and Hampden all occupied different constituencies at that time 

btw the sooner a ball is kicked the better 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, classof2010 said:

Ok you were implying blackie was wrong you obviously didn’t read his whole post when you jumped in with the 0.7 mile quote

Wrong again, it appears you're the one who has jumped in a bit. I said "I would maybe check that one". I was clearly uncertain on the matter when I posted, and I still am.

While I know the dates of Rutherglen's status as a Royal Burgh, I don't know where the boundary of Rutherglen extended to in 1939. It is possible that Shawfield and Rosebery Park were indeed inside the Rutherglen boundary at the time. I don't know, and neither do you.

It really was just a throw-away remark, I didn't expect The Spanish Inquisition ! :thumsup2

12 hours ago, G4Mac said:

Pretty sure that with all the other issues an mp should be raising in Westminster right now a semi pro football team winning cups (regardless of how impressive their relative success has been) should be way down his list..... 

Nice touch by Talbot with the trophy though. 

I strongly doubt it knocked anything of importance off the agenda. 

Nothing wrong with trying to recognize local success, unless of course you're one of the Reverend I.M. Jolly types that frequent this place. 

This is why P&B Is the berries. 

We have politics, geography, history and Rev I M Jolly within 5 posts of each other. We have people falling out with each other and others supporting arguments. All we needed was a grammar policeman to have a full house in the P &B bingo  

Wait till Auchenleck play Darvel and we will have the Leg End all over it to continue the entertainment. 

Thanks for keeping me going over the summer 

1 hour ago, Viewparker said:

This is why P&B Is the berries. 

We have politics, geography, history and Rev I M Jolly within 5 posts of each other. We have people falling out with each other and others supporting arguments. All we needed was a grammar policeman to have a full house in the P &B bingo  

Wait till Auchenleck play Darvel and we will have the Leg End all over it to continue the entertainment. 

Thanks for keeping me going over the summer 

Vp I will cause a stooshie way before then ha 

3 hours ago, gogsy said:

Most useful thing done at Westminster since Mrs T got rid of all the Ayrshire pits imo.

Surely I am reading this wrong , you are not implying that shutting the pits in Ayrshire was a good thing?

If I am reading it right then you are nothing but an uneducated areshole !....thousands of men were made unemployed and many villages went downhill because of Thatcher....even in your part of the world families suffered due to pit closures....you should be ashamed of yourself,  a horrible post  !!

5 minutes ago, A.M said:

Surely I am reading this wrong , you are not implying that shutting the pits in Ayrshire was a good thing?

Your not implying keeping those horrible things open would have been a good Thing? 

1 minute ago, kenny131 said:

Your not implying keeping those horrible things open would have been a good Thing? 

Thousands of men were left unemployed due to closures , and yes it was good for many families...I spent some of the best years of my life underground.

24 minutes ago, A.M said:

Thousands of men were left unemployed due to closures , and yes it was good for many families...I spent some of the best years of my life underground.

Earning a living in the mines was a dangerous occupation and anyone who has worked  there deserves all the respect in the world     

That witches policies were ideologically based in an attempt to break the working classes. She cared little about the structural impact on communities. Many of the mining communities in Midlothian, Fife and Ayrshire were left with little to fall back on and the local junior teams were one ray of sunlight in a dark era. The fact that many of them survived and prospered is a reflection of the hard work that was prevalent in these areas  

Any right minded person could never support her policies 

4 hours ago, glensmad said:

Wrong again, it appears you're the one who has jumped in a bit. I said "I would maybe check that one". I was clearly uncertain on the matter when I posted, and I still am.

While I know the dates of Rutherglen's status as a Royal Burgh, I don't know where the boundary of Rutherglen extended to in 1939. It is possible that Shawfield and Rosebery Park were indeed inside the Rutherglen boundary at the time. I don't know, and neither do you.

It really was just a throw-away remark, I didn't expect The Spanish Inquisition ! :thumsup2

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition,glens   -_-

Incidentally,I'm told(could  be wrong) that in 1939 Roseberry Park was sited in Glasgow,as was 75% of Shawfield  Stadium with the remaining 25% in Rutherglen, :huh:

3 hours ago, Shanner said:

I strongly doubt it knocked anything of importance off the agenda. 

Nothing wrong with trying to recognize local success, unless of course you're one of the Reverend I.M. Jolly types that frequent this place. 

I am pretty sure that child poverty, continuing cuts to public sector services which directly correlate to lowering standards in things like healthcare, child attainment falling, social deprivation and a general fall in living standards for most in Scottish society are far more relevant social issues to be discussing (regardless of the time it took to recognise Talbots success) in Parliament. I for one would be unhappy that my elected mp has decided to make a point regarding a non league football sides success over the more pertinent issues facing society right now..... Or are we to simply suggest that everything will be alright as long as Auchinleck pulls together to support Talbot winning another cup? 

I don't doubt the sentiment behind the mention was formed through nothing other than pride of the achievement of a local side, but parliament is hardly the time and place to display this pride and sentiment. 

As always just my thoughts.... 

10 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

I am pretty sure that child poverty, continuing cuts to public sector services which directly correlate to lowering standards in things like healthcare, child attainment falling, social deprivation and a general fall in living standards for most in Scottish society are far more relevant social issues to be discussing (regardless of the time it took to recognise Talbots success) in Parliament. I for one would be unhappy that my elected mp has decided to make a point regarding a non league football sides success over the more pertinent issues facing society right now..... Or are we to simply suggest that everything will be alright as long as Auchinleck pulls together to support Talbot winning another cup? 

I don't doubt the sentiment behind the mention was formed through nothing other than pride of the achievement of a local side, but parliament is hardly the time and place to display this pride and sentiment. 

Almost all of the issues you talk of are devolved to the Scottish Parliament and not Westminster so not the MPs responsibility

19 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

you must be a rare laugh on nights oot. 

12 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

He's got to be under a curfew.

still it's refreshing to see Talbot being blamed for low child attainment levels, poverty and public sector pay. 

usually it's just for over-reliance on the long ball and not putting highlights up quick enough. 

6 minutes ago, Shanner said:

still it's refreshing to see Talbot being blamed for low child attainment levels, poverty and public sector pay. 

usually it's just for over-reliance on the long ball and not putting highlights up quick enough. 

Class!

And my original point was that there are more important matters for an mp to discuss in Parliament than a Talbot cup win..... Yet apparently I blamed Talbot for child poverty etc.... 

Anyway good luck to Talbot next year. Park looks good. 

Archived