One Album Wonders

Sweet Pete

Guitar Romantic by The Exploding Hearts

A stunning album. Not a bad track on it. "I'm A Pretender" is one of the greatest songs ever written even tho' there's nothing about it I could latch on to that makes me think that. It's catchy to start with and a good enough song but, without a certain moment like a bridge or a drum fill or something that I can actually grab a hold of it suddenly forces itself into yer head to remain for days. Turn of the century indie-rock/punk perfection. Catchy hooks and melodies. There's a bit of The Buzzcocks or The Only Ones about them but the vocals always remind of Mick Jones at his best with The Clash. One of those rare records that sounds like it could be 50 years old and also sounds like it could be brand new. Fucking timeless.

The band were from Oregon but, for some reason, never really had any local support so their label had them promoting the album in Southern California at weekends before they came home to work during the week. Three quarters of the band died when their van crashed on the way back from a gig not long after its release when the driver fell asleep at the wheel. There's a posthumous release of some demo stuff out there but it's not an album no matter what Wikipedia says.

ETA: Have Dirtnap Records ever released a bad album? Doesn't feel like it

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

• 2 weeks later...
New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too
Band disbanded after their first album, cause there was no way they were topping this:

That song was horrible.