One Album Wonders

Sweet Pete

Although I think it's legacy from Mavers/There She Goes has made the album overrated I'm very surprised to see people preferring Cast over the La's, they were real C level British indie imo. 
Totally agree Kev Cast were just britpop filler, file them under menswear etc

Cast are sound. Saw them just a few years ago and still sounding good. John Power is a talented songwriter. The likes of "I'm so lonely" and "Sandstorm" are far beyond the likes of some of their peers like Dodgy, Elastica and The Boo Radleys.

On 22/07/2018 at 19:47, Sweet Pete said:

Cast are sound. Saw them just a few years ago and still sounding good. John Power is a talented songwriter. The likes of "I'm so lonely" and "Sandstorm" are far beyond the likes of some of their peers like Dodgy, Elastica and The Boo Radleys.

Three of the four bands you mentioned are much of a muchness. Elastica however were far better than any of them.

On 7/11/2018 at 09:15, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Some good shouts incl. Mansun, Hundred Reasons, Finch etc.

Can add in The Used, My Virtriol, Nirvana (for me- controversial perhaps), Rage Against the Machine, Bluetones and Ocean Colour Scene

Bluetones were more of a "Singles" band. Most of their albums have a few standout tracks and not much else.

OCS can be struck from the list. Mosely Shoals(2nd in the charts and sold over a million copies), Marchin' Already(Knocked Oasis of top spot and sold about half a million IIRC) and One From the Modern(Gold Disc level sales, whatever the f**k that means in numbers terms) all sold very well and were top 5 in the charts for a considerable time. Everything after that was varying degrees of shite.

On 11/07/2018 at 08:15, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Some good shouts incl. Mansun, Hundred Reasons, Finch etc.

Can add in The Used, My Virtriol, Nirvana (for me- controversial perhaps), Rage Against the Machine, Bluetones and Ocean Colour Scene

Literally a one album wonder. Really good album as well, didn't sound like anything else out at the time.

Angelfish - Angelfish.  Goodbye Mr MacKenzie faffing about after their excellent self-titled debut album*, having fallouts with record companies, managers, each other, struggling to get their 2nd album out.  Then they get talked into recording it with Shirley Manson doing the vocals, as opposed to keyboards and backing.  It was excellent.  However, it also got her 'spotted' and next thing she was away to front Garbage, and being big in America.

Goodbye MrMacKenzie - Goodbye MrMacKenzie is also an excellent listen.  Still fresh today.

On 27/07/2018 at 12:09, Ross. said:

Bluetones were more of a "Singles" band. Most of their albums have a few standout tracks and not much else.

OCS can be struck from the list. Mosely Shoals(2nd in the charts and sold over a million copies), Marchin' Already(Knocked Oasis of top spot and sold about half a million IIRC) and One From the Modern(Gold Disc level sales, whatever the f**k that means in numbers terms) all sold very well and were top 5 in the charts for a considerable time. Everything after that was varying degrees of shite.

100k sales, though it can be awarded multiple times for eack 100k.

They were also Paul Wellers preferred touring band for a while as well, IIRC.

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Surprised nobody mentioned The Stone Roses. Debut album 10/10. Second Coming 1/10

7 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Surprised nobody mentioned The Stone Roses. Debut album 10/10. Second Coming 1/10

eta  - ah didn't see page 3. Someone did mention them

You didn't have to go that far back.