Drug deaths in Scotland hit record high

Niamh Eastwood, the executive director of the charity Release, said every drug-related death could be prevented if the UK implemented drug policy reform, which includes the decriminalisation of drug possession.

Eastwood added: “Decriminalisation of drug possession – which would end the criminal sanctions for possession of drugs – must be core to any policy that seeks to protect the health and wellbeing of people who use drugs, from young people who are experimenting to those who use drugs to cope with trauma and mental health problems.”

I don't really get this.

Cocaine is so easy to buy now it might as well be legal. What difference would decriminalisation make?

41 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't really get this.

Cocaine is so easy to buy now it might as well be legal. What difference would decriminalisation make?

Does the illegality of drugs impact the ability of drug addicts to get treatment?  I do not know the answer to this question but I have to doubt it.  

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I don't really get this.

Im jumping in a bit, and thats a fair point, but i wonder if it makes it easier to admit to having a problem with it to support networks like close friends and family rather than feeling compelled to "hide" it. Edit: speaking personally if i was hooked on booze id, if i was self aware enough about it, be more comfortable admitting it to my parents than if i was constantly rattling the ching, i doubt they'd be as understanding.

It feels like a stretch because anecdotally a friend of mine has a work colleague that is blatantly a coke addict (people regularly show up to his work in big suv's looking for the guy saying he owes them money etc, also the guy comes in sometimes to work high as a kite and is probably getting the sack soon) so its normally pretty darn obvious when someone is hooked on gear anyway, but it might make a marginal difference in uptake of existing support if there was less stigma.

Edit: resource allocation too, come to think of it. Less wasted effort, money and time on policing, court proceedings etc. that could theoretically go elsewhere

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I don't really get this.

How much of that is decent /clean drug and how much is cut to f**k with all the shite of the day? 

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Does it actually reference volume of drug use anywhere? Are we actually taking more drugs than other countries or just suffering more severe consequences. Didn't have time to read the whole thing.

I'd like to know this too, and how much zero quality control and random purity and contamination levels are responsible for deaths. Like taking a purer version of heroin after your last dose was weak, but doubling the amount. The death rates per user in Peru would be interesting, for example, or maybe Portugal.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'd like to know this too, and how much zero quality control and random purity and contamination levels are responsible for deaths. Like taking a purer version of heroin after your last dose was weak, but doubling the amount. The death rates per user in Peru would be interesting, for example, or maybe Portugal.

I am having trouble believing that the use of cocaine is measurably greater in Scotland than other countries.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I am having trouble believing that the use of cocaine is measurably greater in Scotland than other countries.

It’s all based on population ratio, related crimes, police seizures and user surveys.  Open to debate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-13898046 From 2011.

“Among the statistics is an analysis of each country, with Scotland shown as having the world's highest percentage of people using cocaine at 3.9%. 

The equivalent figure for the United States was 2.4%.

The figures also suggested Scotland had the highest rates of consumption of heroin (1.59%), cannabis (8.4%), amphetamines (1.4%) and ecstasy (2.5%) of all nations in the UK.”

https://www.scotsman.com/news/crime/scotland-tops-global-drug-survey-cocaine-consumption-1429699 

“People in Scotland consume roughly double the global average of cocaine in a single session – 1.2 grams compared with 0.5 grams. It should be noted that purity may well be significant here.” - 2018.

https://www.addictionhelper.com/drugs/cocaine/un-scotland-serious-problem-cocaine-ecstasy/

Other areas that we have topped the charts historically include Knife crime, Murder, heart disease to name but three.

This report with detailed charts is particularly damning. 

“Nowhere in Europe do more people die from drug abuse than in Scotland. This sad record is the result of social problems, political failure – and a deadly mix of heroin, cocaine and street Valium.”

https://www.nzz.ch/english/glasgow-is-center-of-scotlands-drug-epidemic-ld.1642046

12 hours ago, Detournement said:

I don't really get this.

Well they'd get help rather than a criminal record for having drugs on their person. I would legalise but there's no doubt in my mind decriminalisation as a start would help. 

10 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I was at a venue last week. I had to pass two toilets before I could get in for a pish. There appeared to be as many in the lavvies as in the hall.

It is rife, I don't know why here so much, but it is.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was at a venue last week. I had to pass two toilets before I could get in for a pish. There appeared to be as many in the lavvies as in the hall.

Maybe everyone there really needed a shite.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I remember having a shite in a club bog in London with a queue of people outside raging that I would do such a thing.

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't doubt that but I do doubt had the venue been in England that the situation would have been markedly different. 

ETA - it wasn't a George Michael tribute concert was it?

Edited by Alert Mongoose

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Well they'd get help rather than a criminal record for having drugs on their person. I would legalise but there's no doubt in my mind decriminalisation as a start would help. 

How many people get charged with basic drug possession? Personal use amounts are usually just a caution. 

Edited by Detournement

39 minutes ago, Detournement said:

How many people get charged with basic drug possession? Personal use amounts are usually just a caution. 

I don't have the numbers, I'm sure they'll be available online. Folk who get caught continually with the same drugs might not just get away with a caution, and if heavy user is buying in bulk for themselves they may be not be lucky either. The fact is having stuff like that on their record limits what they might be able to do, is it not better we just remove that, if we agree its that wide spread it should probably just be legal anyway? 

Legalisation isn't just about not charging users, it's about pharmacists setting the strength and quality rather than some guy in his kitchen, taking the trade away from criminals and stopping the destabilisation of producer countries. Along with making it far easier to help addicts.