ICTChris

Drug deaths in Scotland hit record high

DA - did you ever consider the well being of the woman who had twice as much heroin that night because of your agreement?

On topic again I noticed that 'the Trainspotting generation' quoted as some of the 30/40ish drug users have died.  Is there an insinuation here that some people watched the film and were encouraged to take these drugs? 

I don't think so, trainspotting was describing a generation of people who already existed.

Interestingly Simon Jenkins of all people has come out in favour of devolving responsibility to Holyrood: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/19/scotland-drugs-problem-westminster-policy

24 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't think so, trainspotting was describing a generation of people who already existed.

Interestingly Simon Jenkins of all people has come out in favour of devolving responsibility to Holyrood: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/19/scotland-drugs-problem-westminster-policy

Good article with some thought provoking points.

I liked the headline :

Scotland has a drugs problem – and it’s called Westminster

I know not the answers or solution to this massive problem in our society.
I can only venture to guess that often the bleak socioeconomic picture must play a part in these stats and the fact that there's not a particularly hard line taken by the justice system against low level dealers/users etc.
Looking at the stats from Romania are both staggering and not surprising in equal measure. On one hand it's a very poor country by European standards and thus you would expect a lot of drug use. The flipside is maybe availability too though as it's so poor, generally, that crime gangs probably know it would be a fruitless market?

The actual cost of smack is tiny, thats why even in poor countries like Philippines you get huge drug problems, drugs are more expensive here because of the extra transport costs and higher cost of living. Organised crime groups can make good money off drugs in any country.

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

... even in poor countries like Philippine...

Cheeky cnut! 

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The actual cost of smack is tiny, thats why even in poor countries like Philippines you get huge drug problems, drugs are more expensive here because of the extra transport costs and higher cost of living. Organised crime groups can make good money off drugs in any country.

Out of interest, a gram of Shabu in the Philippines  (the most common drug used here aside from marijuana) costs about 1/3 of the average monthly salary.  

8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Out of interest, a gram of Shabu in the Philippines  (the most common drug used here aside from marijuana) costs about 1/3 of the average monthly salary.  

How much is that in real money?

13 hours ago, GhandiMorton said:

I get the sentiment of this but it's false. Only alcohol produces dts. Only alcohol and benzodiazapines produce deadly withdrawal. The rest is pure mind over matter. 

I'll close on this and not aimed at you. If you believe addiction is real them the power of choice is gone, the craving for your drug of choice will consume your world. To deny addiction in this day and age is laughable, the ones on here quizzing it are either abhorrent racists or stay in a closed world. 

Again. Come and see the work we do, come and see the despair, remorse,  shame and hopelessness of these people. Do use a world of good. God forbid you ever have 1 in the family

First of all congratulations on beating your addiction.  I know it must have been tough to do as my brother couldn't do it and died from an overdose.  Another family member has kicked the habit after many years on methadone and is now holding down a job and getting on with life and I am proud of that achievement. 

Glad to be corrected on the dts.  My brother was in a bad way, he was taking heroin, methadone, valium and alcohol.  Thinking back it must have been the alcohol causing the fits.  I remember him being so desperate that he drank aftershave.  On one occasion when he had been admitted to hospital, he drank the hand cleanser that you get at the doors of the wards.  This was years ago before they switched to alcohol free cleanser. 

Stay strong mate. 

On 19/07/2019 at 22:00, Ross. said:

How much is that in real money?

It would be around 120 quid

And you are that housewife throbber?

I just keep seeing it on Facebook and wanted someone on here to shine a light on it for me.

I just keep seeing it on Facebook and wanted someone on here to shine a light on it for me.

A zoomer doesn't like the implication the Scottish Government bears some responsibility for the current crisis and takes matters into their own hands.

A zoomer doesn't like the implication the Scottish Government bears some responsibility for the current crisis and takes matters into their own hands.

I get that, I just wanted to know if it was true or there was an element of truth involved if anyone on here has gone to the effort of finding out because I can’t be bothered!

Is there really a ‘huge drug problem in The Philippines’? It’s a truly debatable statement. some reports put it well below the global average and near neighbours.

There hasn’t been a great deal of clear and accurate data to back up Duterte’s claims.

His opinions on drug users and his general sensationalism is at times very questionable as well.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Sort of.

All that information is recorded.

However, for the purposes of reporting "drugs deaths" the definition is " drugs which were implicated in, or which potentially contributed to, the cause of death ".

So you might have had some coke in your system when you were knocked down by a bus that is recorded but wont show up in stats for drug deaths. On the other hand if you had 500 paracetamol in you it might.

The international comparison is slightly irrelevant anyway for all these reasons.  What is relevant is that the number of drug deaths has been climbing steadily since 2014 and took a big leap for 2018.

If zoomers want to play the Pravda role and say everyrhing the MSM print is lies they also have to explain away the Scottish Govt and SNP MPs concern about the matter. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

It is worth making one final post to deal with two very damaging pieces of utter ignorance spouted on this ridiculous thread.

Firstly, that drug addiction is an illness and secondly that cannabis is not controlled by cartels but is made at home by good old Hamish McTavish next door.

Drug addiction first. Argue with the experts. They seem to agree with me that calling it an illness allows addicts to avoid the personal responsibility required to kick the habit. This is just two articles. I can dig out more for any remaining ostriches out there

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3314045

https://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/blog/why-addiction-isnt-disease-instead-result-deep-learning

Cannabis. Exactly how much cannabis does wee Hamish need for personal consumption? Cannabis along with ALL illegal drugs are big business for cartels or organised criminal gangs (for those who dont like the word cartel). If you use it you are almost certainly funding organised crime in Scotland. Period. End of discussion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49057129

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-48743901

Edited by oaksoft

A print out blue tacked to a window claiming that the main thing to be concerned about with 1,000+ deaths is the MSM. What a country.

Good on DA for sharing his post, hope you are feeling better.

It is worth making one final post to deal with two very damaging pieces of utter ignorance spouted on this ridiculous thread.
Firstly, that drug addiction is an illness and secondly that cannabis is not controlled by cartels but is made at home by good old Hamish McTavish next door.
Drug addiction first. Argue with the experts. They seem to agree with me that calling it an illness allows addicts to avoid the personal responsibility required to kick the habit. This is just two articles. I can dig out more for any remaining ostriches out there

UTTER, UTTER SHITE!

Two articles? Aye and there’s plenty of evidence to the contrary, but let’s ignore that.

Oh, and I do know what I’m talking about, I’ve just spent several weeks in an intensive out-patient program for people with addiction issues, myself included.

Want to pm me and I will happily share.