Drug deaths in Scotland hit record high

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The actual cost of smack is tiny, thats why even in poor countries like Philippines you get huge drug problems, drugs are more expensive here because of the extra transport costs and higher cost of living. Organised crime groups can make good money off drugs in any country.

Out of interest, a gram of Shabu in the Philippines  (the most common drug used here aside from marijuana) costs about 1/3 of the average monthly salary.  

8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Out of interest, a gram of Shabu in the Philippines  (the most common drug used here aside from marijuana) costs about 1/3 of the average monthly salary.  

How much is that in real money?

A zoomer doesn't like the implication the Scottish Government bears some responsibility for the current crisis and takes matters into their own hands.

I get that, I just wanted to know if it was true or there was an element of truth involved if anyone on here has gone to the effort of finding out because I can’t be bothered!

The actual cost of smack is tiny, thats why even in poor countries like Philippines you get huge drug problems, drugs are more expensive here because of the extra transport costs and higher cost of living. Organised crime groups can make good money off drugs in any country.

Is there really a ‘huge drug problem in The Philippines’? It’s a truly debatable statement. some reports put it well below the global average and near neighbours.

There hasn’t been a great deal of clear and accurate data to back up Duterte’s claims.

His opinions on drug users and his general sensationalism is at times very questionable as well.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

I just keep seeing it on Facebook and wanted someone on here to shine a light on it for me.

Sort of.

All that information is recorded.

However, for the purposes of reporting "drugs deaths" the definition is " drugs which were implicated in, or which potentially contributed to, the cause of death ".

So you might have had some coke in your system when you were knocked down by a bus that is recorded but wont show up in stats for drug deaths. On the other hand if you had 500 paracetamol in you it might.

The international comparison is slightly irrelevant anyway for all these reasons.  What is relevant is that the number of drug deaths has been climbing steadily since 2014 and took a big leap for 2018.

If zoomers want to play the Pravda role and say everyrhing the MSM print is lies they also have to explain away the Scottish Govt and SNP MPs concern about the matter. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

A print out blue tacked to a window claiming that the main thing to be concerned about with 1,000+ deaths is the MSM. What a country.

Good on DA for sharing his post, hope you are feeling better.

It is worth making one final post to deal with two very damaging pieces of utter ignorance spouted on this ridiculous thread.
Firstly, that drug addiction is an illness and secondly that cannabis is not controlled by cartels but is made at home by good old Hamish McTavish next door.
Drug addiction first. Argue with the experts. They seem to agree with me that calling it an illness allows addicts to avoid the personal responsibility required to kick the habit. This is just two articles. I can dig out more for any remaining ostriches out there

UTTER, UTTER SHITE!

Two articles? Aye and there’s plenty of evidence to the contrary, but let’s ignore that.

Oh, and I do know what I’m talking about, I’ve just spent several weeks in an intensive out-patient program for people with addiction issues, myself included.

Want to pm me and I will happily share.

UTTER, UTTER SHITE!

Two articles? Aye and there’s plenty of evidence to the contrary, but let’s ignore that.

Oh, and I do know what I’m talking about, I’ve just spent several weeks in an intensive out-patient program for people with addiction issues, myself included.

Want to pm me and I will happily share.

The first article seemed to boil down to a pedantic point about the semantic difference between a medical “disease” and a medical “condition”. He’s probably right in terms of the precise technical usage.

It didn’t seem particularly helpful though

So I didn’t bother with the second

17 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Cannabis. Exactly how much cannabis does wee Hamish need for personal consumption? Cannabis along with ALL illegal drugs are big business for cartels or organised criminal gangs (for those who dont like the word cartel). If you use it you are almost certainly funding organised crime in Scotland. Period. End of discussion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49057129

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-48743901

For someone who didn't want others taking the high ground in this discussion, that's a fair two footed lunge. 

Anyway, FWIW, the only people responsible for criminals making money from cannabis are the government. For decades they've ignored science and pushed propaganda, they've allowed criminals to make money off it by taking such a ridiculously OTT stance on cannabis. Government are funding criminals by being reckless with their legislation, and they only seem to send the police to tackle "wee Hamish next door" rather than the "cartels" you mention above.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Producing evidence to back my view is a "two footed lunge"? That's an odd way of looking at it.

Both articles are about busting gang operations so I have no idea what your last sentence is about.

"End of discussion". That's you taking the moral high ground and shutting down debate before anyone's had a chance to counter your argument.

Of course the odd gang gets busted, but in case you haven't noticed, they haven't even made the slightest of dents in the drug trade - these busts stop nothing. The rest of the time these raids are carried out on houses where someone will just be a user, and the police pat themselves on the back for good work when the real folk bringing drugs into the country go unnoticed. All of this while the government have had numerous chances to alter their stance on cannabis and take the trade away from cartels and put the money back into the economy, but they'd rather keep pushing propaganda and locking up folk who aren't a threat to society.