Drug deaths in Scotland hit record high

Yeah for petty crime I could probably agree to the points you are making here. Especially if there is genuine reason to believe the person can change their behaviour immediately. 
For career criminals (those with more than x (x = perhaps 3) criminal convictions in their 20's) I'd be tempted to lock the key indefinitely until they can show they have changed. There has to be a limit.
Anyway, as for drug users, I would legalise all of it. I don't think there is another way around it.

3 convictions in 20’s isnt a career criminal. Ive encountered kids aged 15-19 with in excess of 90 previous or pending cases. 3 is a fucking angel.

I can understand some level of resentment towards drug addicts. Many of them commit ridiculously selfish acts and have a negative impact upon our communities. To pretend they dont doesn't serve anyone.

It's also true that there is an element of choice in being an addict - nobody forces you to take drugs and unlike other "illnesses" you have the capacity to rid yourself of it if you want it enough.

However if you've a background of shit you want to blank out and no productive future to serve as a motivation then how easy is it to quit?

To reduce addiction to a simple choice is utterly braindead though - why would anyone choose that life? You think that was their aspirations as kids?

I'd have preferred Tibermoresaint's posts to have been kept up for everyone to see. I ain't losing sleep over him, if you put personal stuff on the net then you run the risk of faceless cowards using it against you. Theyd never dream of saying stuff like that to anyone face in real life.

Hes not much different from the sad acts who hide behind anonymous Twitter accounts and post stuff to Sarah Payne or Paige Docherty's mum.

If your human instinct when you hear of a 17 year old laddie dying is to mock and use it to feel superior then you cant think a lot of yourself as an individual. In reality you're probably carrying about the same levels of shame or self hatred that many drug addicts have, it just manifests itself in a different way.

I can understand some level of resentment towards drug addicts. Many of them commit ridiculously selfish acts and have a negative impact upon our communities. To pretend they dont doesn't serve anyone.

It's also true that there is an element of choice in being an addict - nobody forces you to take drugs and unlike other "illnesses" you have the capacity to rid yourself of it if you want it enough.

However if you've a background of shit you want to blank out and no productive future to serve as a motivation then how easy is it to quit?

To reduce addiction to a simple choice is utterly braindead though - why would anyone choose that life? You think that was their aspirations as kids?

I'd have preferred Tibermoresaint's posts to have been kept up for everyone to see. I ain't losing sleep over him, if you put personal stuff on the net then you run the risk of faceless cowards using it against you. Theyd never dream of saying stuff like that to anyone face in real life.

Hes not much different from the sad acts who hide behind anonymous Twitter accounts and post stuff to Sarah Payne or Paige Docherty's mum.

If your human instinct when you hear of a 17 year old laddie dying is to mock and use it to feel superior then you cant think a lot of yourself as an individual. In reality you're probably carrying about the same levels of shame or self hatred that many drug addicts have, it just manifests itself in a different way.

Good post.

I’m no expert on this, and wouldn’t pretend to be.
My experiences with drugs are...
I had the choice to start taking recreational drugs, I didn’t have a shit upbringing, I made the choice willingly, albeit with associated peer pressure.
I really believe education & opportunity are key to this, if you don’t see a future then it’s so easy to keep getting into harder & harder stuff, I’ve taken class A’s & occasionally still do, but I’ve got the sense to see that Heroin is never going to end well & I don’t want to lose what I’ve achieved, however, if I’d just seen a pointless existence in front of me, I may very well have gone down that route.
Education & opportunity is (in my opinion) the very heart of this blight & if we work towards preventing people seeing their life as never improving, we may come close to reducing these shocking figures.

17 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Good post.

I’m no expert on this, and wouldn’t pretend to be.
My experiences with drugs are...
I had the choice to start taking recreational drugs, I didn’t have a shit upbringing, I made the choice willingly, albeit with associated peer pressure.
I really believe education & opportunity are key to this, if you don’t see a future then it’s so easy to keep getting into harder & harder stuff, I’ve taken class A’s & occasionally still do, but I’ve got the sense to see that Heroin is never going to end well & I don’t want to lose what I’ve achieved, however, if I’d just seen a pointless existence in front of me, I may very well have gone down that route.
Education & opportunity is (in my opinion) the very heart of this blight & if we work towards preventing people seeing their life as never improving, we may come close to reducing these shocking figures.

I've occasionally taken class A's, including heroin, not for years though. Was always quite happy, sometimes relieved, to get back to normal  again. I think most people who become addicts find normal life horrendous and they're desperate to escape again as soon as they come down. Then, especially with heroin, physical addiction kicks in and they're fucked. Not pretending to be an expert though.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I've occasionally taken class A's, including heroin, not for years though. Was always quite happy, sometimes relieved, to get back to normal life again. I think most people who become addicts find normal life horrendous and they're desperate to escape again as soon as they come down. Then, especially with heroin, physical addiction kicks in and they're fucked. Not pretending to be an expert though.

Was it you that mugged TS?

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Tibbermore's mum lost 3 years of her life to the heroine and then another 5 years on the methadone that was meant to get her off it

What has she taken to get through the rest of her time with TBS.

14 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

We will add “young man takes recreational drugs” to “young man owns a house and a flat” to the things Lincoln Hearts can’t believe list.