England v Colombia

throbber

34 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Lived in London and had almost a polar opposite experience, maybe depends on where you are (also probably makes a difference if you are quite patriotic about Scotland). The people around me absolutely lapped it up when they pumped us as Wembley and were absolutely shitting it when we nearly beat them at Hampden.

Away from football there is also just a general attitude towards Scottish people with piss taking and bitterness.

I think it also depends on where you live. I lived in Derby, a fair bit further north than London. In the midlands & north, rivalry with Scotland will be bigger than in London.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never noticed much anti-Scottish stuff when I stayed in England. I heard a lot more racism against Muslims and Eastern Europeans than I hear up here though.

On the football front I only remember once hearing anyone talking to me about a Scotland game and that was before the Ireland game at Parkhead. He wanted Scotland to win but I got the impression that was more to do with wanting Ireland to lose than anything else.

2 minutes ago, Marten said:

I think it also depends on where you live. I lived in Derby, a fair bit further north than London. In the midlands & north, rivalry with Scotland will be bigger than in London.

I was down just before the indy referendum and found very different reactions. Scousers were jealous and totally understood, Midlands and South were shocked when I said I was voting Yes, almost like "Why don't you like us?". From the media coverage they probably thought the SNP were just a handful of nutters in a fringe party.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Never encountered that at all. How do mean about being patriotic, what on earth did you do?

Wore a kilt and painted a saltire on my face daily to go into the office, nothing too extreme.

Seriously though, just having a strong Scottish accent and saying things like “aye” without thinking was enough to get some people into the whole “sweaty jocks” mode. If you ever talked about wanting England to get beat or said anything remotely anti-England then it went up a notch. I am probably exaggerating a bit tbh, but it did get tiresome very quickly with people jokingly taking the piss out of the football team/leagues, politics and everything. Particularly the politics side people were constantly going on about the SNP and Nicola Sturgeon being an arsehole when tbh I didn’t care all that much.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Away from football there is also just a general attitude towards Scottish people with piss taking and bitterness.

I've only lived 'down here' on and off since 1981 and my weans were educated in England so maybe my experience can't be regarded as normative.  I have never experienced anything like this.

I'd say, with 35+ years of living here, that The English are much more big-hearted towards us than we are towards them.  I'd go further and say that if there was a Jellied Eel and Cider forum in England with a Scotland vs Colombia thread then you'd not get anything like the petty bitterness we see on here.

53 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If you ever talked about wanting England to get beat or said anything remotely anti-England then it went up a notch.

Call me surprised. If you went to any other country in the world would you expect a favourable reaction?

17 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I've only lived 'down here' on and off since 1981 and my weans were educated in England so maybe my experience can't be regarded as normative.  I have never experienced anything like this.

I'd say, with 35+ years of living here, that The English are much more big-hearted towards us than we are towards them.  I'd go further and say that if there was a Jellied Eel and Cider forum in England with a Scotland vs Colombia thread then you'd not get anything like the petty bitterness we see on here.

Hardly surprising though is it? England have achieved far more than Scotland has and is pretty unlikely we’ll overtake them at any point so why would they be bitter?

That combined with them pretty much ruling over us and Scotland’s overall influence of UK politics being minimal at best. 

Theres no reason for them to feel bitterness. I’m willing to bet 10 years the bitterness from Man U fans to City was pretty minimal and things have changed drastically in recent years now circumstances have changed.

Don't compare real, normal folk you know with punters on an internet forum.

I've read a few of the comments sections on the BBC and the daily mail relating to Scotland and Scottish football and there's plenty of petty bitterness.

I also don't think English people up here would agree with your point about 'big heartedness'. Having spoke to a few colleagues about any anti-englishness they faced they were clear that the numpties were in the minority.

I see it regularly with kids in the classroom. They say they're anti English but when you ask them about 'Mr so and so' or 'visiting blackpool' you quickly realise that it's just sporting rivalry.

30 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

That combined with them pretty much ruling over us and Scotland’s overall influence of UK politics being minimal at best. 

I assume you didn't go to school.

There's no doubt that, since 1707, Scotland has punched above its weight in UK politics.  Even in the past century the number of Prime Ministers of Scottish origin has been way out of proportion to our population.

Not hard to make a case for, "Scotland’s overall influence of UK politics" being massive.

26 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I see it regularly with kids in the classroom. They say they're anti English but when you ask them about 'Mr so and so' or 'visiting blackpool' you quickly realise that it's just sporting rivalry.

The big challenge is, Pandy, that we're dealing with an empty-headed coterie of posters who have a monochrome view of the world.  Scots live in Scotland and English live in England.

I was discussing such with my soon to be 18 year old last week.  He was born in Edinburgh to a Scots father and Swedish mother and goes to school 'down here'.  His view is that when he's on the pull in a social situation he claims to be half Swedish.  When I challenged him he said something like, "Being part-Scottish is so common.  Everyone has a Scottish parent/grandparent.".

I think he makes a good point.

58 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I assume you didn't go to school.

There's no doubt that, since 1707, Scotland has punched above its weight in UK politics.  Even in the past century the number of Prime Ministers of Scottish origin has been way out of proportion to our population.

Not hard to make a case for, "Scotland’s overall influence of UK politics" being massive.

The big challenge is, Pandy, that we're dealing with an empty-headed coterie of posters who have a monochrome view of the world.  Scots live in Scotland and English live in England.

I was discussing such with my soon to be 18 year old last week.  He was born in Edinburgh to a Scots father and Swedish mother and goes to school 'down here'.  His view is that when he's on the pull in a social situation he claims to be half Swedish.  When I challenged him he said something like, "Being part-Scottish is so common.  Everyone has a Scottish parent/grandparent.".

Like how you ignored the other stuff i posted and just made a snide remark.  Funnily enough i wasn’t around in the 1700s etc so can’t comment on the level of influence we may have had then or what level of bitterness that existed between the countries so f**k knows what that has to do with your original point. I thought it was pretty obvious i was talking about recent years but anyhoo.

In my lifetime we’ve had one Scottish PM (You could be pedantic and claim Blair was as well but i doubt Blair even considered himself Scottish) and like Kinnock when he was a party leader his nationality was used as a stick to beat him with. Especially when Darling was chancellor as well. That many scots being so high up in government was looked on with derision. Scotland has rarely had a government it voted for and rarely has its votes even mattered in my time. The idea that Scotland has had a significant role in recent uk politics is wishful thinking at best.

30 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

In my lifetime we’ve had one Scottish PM (You could be pedantic and claim Blair was as well but i doubt Blair even considered himself Scottish) and like Kinnock when he was a party leader his nationality was used as a stick to beat him with. 

Lovely stuff.  History is exactly what you remember it to be.  This makes you the perfect, brain-dead Yesser.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Lovely stuff.  History is exactly what you remember it to be.  This makes you the perfect, brain-dead Yesser.

Snide, personal remarks again i see.

Classy stuff. You’re right of course. Kinnock was never called things like a Welsh windbag and Brown was never called a “one eyed Scottish idiot” or a Jock Cyclops. I’m sure random English punters or tabloids who criticised the likes of Cameron, Major, Thatcher etc also added in something about their nationality in the name of their big-hearted love of us.

But going back to the more relevant point in my first post, why would England fans be bitter about the Scotland team or their fans? What in a sporting rivalry sense would make them bitter towards us. It’s not like this is even unique to our countries alone.

10 hours ago, bairney said:

Magyar will be your self-loathing sevco glory-hunter. You see them all the time in their Chelsea or Man.City tops in town and you have to point and laugh.  Any small part of self-serving glory they desperately cling onto, even if it means 'supporting ' the Auld Enemy. What a joke they really are. (Bet he has a Chelsea top)

Actually. It's an Ipswich top. Hardly glory hunting.

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Don't compare real, normal folk you know with punters on an internet forum.

I've read a few of the comments sections on the BBC and the daily mail relating to Scotland and Scottish football and there's plenty of petty bitterness.

I also don't think English people up here would agree with your point about 'big heartedness'. Having spoke to a few colleagues about any anti-englishness they faced they were clear that the numpties were in the minority.

Dangerous ground, that's a bit too similar to the old 90 minute bigot argument trotted out by some supporters.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:14, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 19:29, nsr said:
Any Englishman who says "Why do Scotland hate us, we don't care what they think" is a baldfaced liar. They care deeply what we think.

Why would a nation with 10 times the population care what we think. We are just shit on their shoe.

While they are just a massive pile on our arse...

I wonder if, when Scotland reaches a major international competition, a Scotland match thread on an English football site would be dominated by anecdotes on whether Scottish people hate English people or not. 

I suspect not, which probably tells you more about the Scottish English rivalry than any of these anecdotes. 

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

.  When I challenged him he said something like, "Being part-Scottish is so common.  Everyone has a Scottish parent/grandparent.".

Embarrassed to be part Scottish in England, deary me.

He’ll not know what to say this weekend.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Call me surprised. If you went to any other country in the world would you expect a favourable reaction?

Obviously not, but I thought the point was that they “don’t care” about us at all. As soon as you mention the rivalry, it’s pretty clear they do.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Embarrassed to be part Scottish in England, deary me.

He’ll not know what to say this weekend.

That's unfair

If you had a mum that was Swedish and a dad that was the The _Kincardine you'd probably play up the Swedish side  too 

Archived