England v Colombia

throbber

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I just hate that's what the game has become though.  Players rarely interested in beating their man and focusing on "winning" free kicks and getting players booked/sent off. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't really like it either, but it's the way it is.  But if we go into a game last night expecting that the other team are going to play 100% fair, we're automatically at a disadvantage.

Refereeing definitely needs to get stronger.  I'm not sure there's a big appetite for that though, at least in the places that matter.  You get the "if you did x then it would stop y overnight" crowd, but I'm not sure that's always true.  They brought in VAR, which is undeniably a good thing, and it's just led to problems elsewhere with playacting, diving etc.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

5 live on the way in this morning extolling the virtues of the "dark arts" and "managing the referee" for the Sweden game.

"But the English are above that" they said.

Welshman Robbie Savage's voice rising up about 4 octaves in excitement. 

Related image

Which is the big fucking problem.  "We're above that".  You are?  Well you're a fucking idiot then for giving the opposition a conscious advantage over you because they don't play to these imagined morals.

If England conceded a penalty, would anyone think to scuff up the penalty spot while some of their pals berated the referee, and the rest noised up the taker?  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

It was absolutely superb forward play. Not meaning to sound like a complete arsehole but assuming you have never played football at any level?

I have played football, yes. I've played as a striker too and I found it quite easy to stay on my feet when the defender slightly touched me. As I said, some see it as brilliant play, I see it as dishonest and cheating - you are falling to the ground when you're able to stay on your feet. It's an easy way out for a striker, they find themselves with their back to goal and nowhere to go so take the contact, dive and get the foul. I just don't agree it's brilliant play. It's a contact sport, strikers can't just claim every bit of contact as a foul.

Worst game of the whole tournament by far. Apart from Mina at the back, who is a class act, there was little footballing ability, flair or excitement on show.

If Colombia actually tried to, y'know, play football in the first 75 minutes of last night's shitshow they would have, without a shred of doubt, have easily defeated that team of plodding English jobbers. As it was, Colombia deserved f**k all from the game because of the way they went about it.

Special mention to Tyldsley: "EHHHHHNGLAAAAHND HAVE WON... A PENALTY SHOOT-OUT!"

The three pundits in the studio coughing, spluttering, greeting and mumbling in public about their neuroses through 10 minutes of celebratory footage was also a high point.

I don't find the English media circus a source of annoyance, more of a source of amusement.

51 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The 'goal' was scored long after the whistle went and when everyone else had stopped. Not even close to a controversial decision. Stopping play right after the throw in was the questionable one.

This. If you see the replay the linesman was actually clearing the ball away from the side line when the throw in was taken so was not watching the game at all and the ref blew to retake the throw.

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

Kane did exactly what you would want your striker to do in that situation.  He was looking for the free kicks yes but Colombia were daft enough to always make contact on him.  He made the most of it to help his team get to the quarter finals of the world cup - I'd do the same if it was me!

Harry Kane has been tremendous this tournament, but I thought that was comfortably his best game so far.  Gave the centre halves an absolute bullying, and won the penalty by taking advantage of a weak ref and some idiotic defending.    

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Harry Kane has been tremendous this tournament, but I thought that was comfortably his best game so far.  Gave the centre halves an absolute bullying, and won the penalty by taking advantage of a weak ref and some idiotic defending.    

Yep, cheated to gain advantage, because attempting to win playing by the rules is for losers. A fitting hero for Today's England. 

I have played football, yes. I've played as a striker too and I found it quite easy to stay on my feet when the defender slightly touched me. As I said, some see it as brilliant play, I see it as dishonest and cheating - you are falling to the ground when you're able to stay on your feet. It's an easy way out for a striker, they find themselves with their back to goal and nowhere to go so take the contact, dive and get the foul. I just don't agree it's brilliant play. It's a contact sport, strikers can't just claim every bit of contact as a foul.

All about opinions I guess. He had no support so would probably have lost the ball. He has instigated the foul and the defenders did it every time.

I'm in agreement with anyone who says teams can't afford to be above that sort of thing. However I don't see how you can support England for Columbia being cheats when both are as bad as each other. 

13 minutes ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

I'm in agreement with anyone who says teams can't afford to be above that sort of thing. However I don't see how you can support England for Columbia being cheats when both are as bad as each other. 

Colombia were far worse yesterday, which most would admit if it wasn't England on the other side.  England themselves nowhere near innocent in all of it, but most (but not all) of the cases of them reacting was as a result of Colombia shithousery.

In art of music terms, Colombia's antics were a messy but ultimately technically great composition, and England's was whatever poor quality but commercially successful shite is in the charts.

1 hour ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

This thread has been a phenomenal read.

I'm supporting England becasue, well I'm English. Seems a lot of you had more of a rollercoaster hoping for an England loss than I did a win.

probably.

Any Englishman who says "Why do Scotland hate us, we don't care what they think" is a baldfaced liar. They care deeply what we think.

8 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
53 minutes ago, nsr said:
Any Englishman who says "Why do Scotland hate us, we don't care what they think" is a baldfaced liar. They care deeply what we think.

Why would a nation with 10 times the population care what we think. We are just shit on their shoe.

No voter found.

I'm not worried about England, they're pish.  They haven't beaten a good team in years.

Archived