Alcohol and Football

Justboy96

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, apologies 

I'm currently an MSC Criminal Justice student completing my dissertation of the policing of football matches in Scotland, specifically on the control of alcohol. I'm looking for participants who have travelled on supporters buses to take part in a brief interview and wouldn't mind giving me 5/10 minutes of their time. Interviews can be done via email, phone, Skype, etc - whatever is easiest. 

If you'd like to participate, or have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Went to a match in Scotland this year and my mate thought we were having him on, when we told him that you can’t drink at Scottish football matches....

Tbf drinking in English stadiums is shite given you pay over the odds for a plastic cup of shite beer which you can't take to your seat. 

10 minutes ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Went to a match in Scotland this year and my mate thought we were having him on, when we told him that you can’t drink at Scottish football matches....

My dad and his mate went up to Dingwall a few years [maybes 2009ish?] back to support Clyde.  His mate had been living in rural Africa since the 70s, the last game in Scotland he went to was Kilmarnock vs Motherwell, in the early part of that decade.  So, he reckoned, everyone back then was drinking whisky out of hipflasks, so it's no bother to take a hipflask with him now.

Got kicked out of the ground after ~5minutes (after travelling up from Brum to see it), ended up spending the rest of the game in the pub on the station 

22 minutes ago, The OP said:

Tbf drinking in English stadiums is shite given you pay over the odds for a plastic cup of shite beer which you can't take to your seat. 

Agreed, when I go to games in England (and I've lived there for 8 years, so I've done quite a few!) I usually had drinks in a local pub before heading to the grounds. I could count the amount of times I've had a pint at a ground on one hand...

I'm not interested in beer at the football.

Pish beer in  a plastic glass is only fit for a 'certain' type of person.

I'm above that thank you :) 

3 hours ago, Justboy96 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, apologies 

I'm currently an MSC Criminal Justice student completing my dissertation of the policing of football matches in Scotland, specifically on the control of alcohol. I'm looking for participants who have travelled on supporters buses to take part in a brief interview and wouldn't mind giving me 5/10 minutes of their time. Interviews can be done via email, phone, Skype, etc - whatever is easiest. 

If you'd like to participate, or have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch

Don't mind answering a few questions via email. DM me if you want.

2 hours ago, The OP said:

It’s still decent for half time and nice to have he option. 

I don't know if it's true or not, but Kevin Bridges' theory is the atmosphere is shite at Manchester derbies because the people who would create an atmosphere just drink in the stadium instead of taking their seats. 

2 hours ago, algy said:

My dad and his mate went up to Dingwall a few years [maybes 2009ish?] back to support Clyde.  His mate had been living in rural Africa since the 70s, the last game in Scotland he went to was Kilmarnock vs Motherwell, in the early part of that decade.  So, he reckoned, everyone back then was drinking whisky out of hipflasks, so it's no bother to take a hipflask with him now.

Got kicked out of the ground after ~5minutes (after travelling up from Brum to see it), ended up spending the rest of the game in the pub on the station 

Dingwall is hardly a hotbed of hooliganism. Couldn't he and his friends explained the circumstances and given up the flask? 

26 minutes ago, Latino Lover said:

nice to have he option. 

That is the important part.

21 minutes ago, The OP said:

I don't know if it's true or not, but Kevin Bridges' theory is the atmosphere is shite at Manchester derbies because the people who would create an atmosphere just drink in the stadium instead of taking their seats. 

It's absolute rubbish.

11 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

That is the important part.

It's absolute rubbish.

Come to think of it I also went to uni with a Blackburn supporter who complained that people spend a whole game in the bowels of the stadium drinking their shite beers. 

32 minutes ago, Latino Lover said:

I’d be surprised, a few idiots will but not many. It’s weird when I go to a Berwick game, the break drags and it would be a decent revenue stream if you could have a pint before and at ht. 

Can't you drink at Berwick considering they are covered by English law and not Scottish law? Or is it actually the SFA and/or SPFL who have this rule?

13 minutes ago, Marten said:

Can't you drink at Berwick considering they are covered by English law and not Scottish law? Or is it actually the SFA and/or SPFL who have this rule?

Must be down to Scottish football. Similarly Wetherspoons Do Scottish drinks and food different to ones further south.

22 minutes ago, Marten said:

They play in a Scottish league and the club seem to be governed by Scottish Law in this term of reference.

To be honest I usually wait until after the match to drink anyway, or drink in the pub before away games. Not just the expense and plastic cup; I also hate the queues and only having 15 minutes to get abs drink the beer.

My mate who was shocked about the lack of alcohol is a Bluenose; so doesn’t usually like to watch the match sober :)

Archived