What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

On the point of a publicly owned Energy set up. This was promised by the SNP in 2017...nothing happened. In 2021 members at conference voted in favour of this...again nothing happened. Could it be that Nicola Sturgeon said one thing and then did another? Or is that only Keir Starmer?

It certainly is interesting to see who the SNP are quite happy to have cosy conversations with/strike deals with, like billionaire Sanjeev Gupta to whom they sold a Highland smelting plant for £5, with taxpayers financing the rest of a £339 million deal....or maybe Nick Macpherson, a former adviser to George Osbourne, who is a key player in Kate Forbes 10 year plan to unleash Scotland's entrepreneurial potential.

On energy she did however propose 'green freeports', but shock, horror, as the TUC report, are bound up with a Tory vision of Brexit friendly freeports as they sit outside the UK's main tax and tariff rules, with lower regulations to attract investment and business'. So, load the dice in favour of big business and against workers and the local communities (again).

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Refusing the people of Scotland the right to vote on Independence.  Very authoritarian and completely in line with their Tory counterparts.

Where did he say that? Not quite the same as 'I won't form a coalition in government with the SNP is it'?

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

On the point of a publicly owned Energy set up. This was promised by the SNP in 2017...nothing happened. In 2021 members at conference voted in favour of this...again nothing happened. Could it be that Nicola Sturgeon said one thing and then did another? Or is that only Keir Starmer?

It certainly is interesting to see who the SNP are quite happy to have cosy conversations with/strike deals with, like billionaire Sanjeev Gupta to whom they sold a Highland smelting plant for £5, with taxpayers financing the rest of a £339 million deal....or maybe Nick Macpherson, a former adviser to George Osbourne, who is a key player in Kate Forbes 10 year plan to unleash Scotland's entrepreneurial potential.

On energy she did however propose 'green freeports', but shock, horror, as the TUC report, are bound up with a Tory vision of Brexit friendly freeports as they sit outside the UK's main tax and tariff rules, with lower regulations to attract investment and business'. So, load the dice in favour of big business and against workers and the local communities (again).

SNP BAD doesn’t = LABOUR GOOD.

22 minutes ago, Jedi said:

So 'make Brexit work' is the only right wing 'policy' they currently propose.

Out of interest, being that you despise Labour and Tories (as they are the 'same', and you can't vote for the SNP post-Indepedence, which party is it, which will deliver the bold new Scotland? Think you are left there with the Liberals or the Greens.

The Greens are a far more viable vote than either Labour or the Tories, so not sure your point is as good as you think it is? 

1 minute ago, Brother Blades said:

The Greens are a far more viable vote than either Labour or the Tories, so not sure your point is as good as you think it is? 

Fair enough. Are the Greens likely to be winners of a future Scottish GE, and if so, how far into the future?

Edited by Jedi

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Where did he say that? Not quite the same as 'I won't form a coalition in government with the SNP is it'?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20268570.scottish-independence-keir-starmer-confirms-labour-reject-section-30-call/

Just now, Jedi said:

Did I agree with his sidelining of someone standing on a picket line? No. 

Whether you agree with it or not doesn’t really matter. You’ve been attempting to paint him as some kind of new messiah of the left. Disagreeing with his taking a dump on that halo doesn’t mean he didn’t take said dump.

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

SNP BAD doesn’t = LABOUR GOOD.

And the reverse would also be true..no? I'm not saying that SNP 'bad' is true in all cases...they have made some achievements in government, However for many voters their record is beyond any reproach. 

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Fair enough. Are the Greens likely to be winners of a future Scottish GE, and if so, how far into the future?

Yes. 2028. And it will last 164 years and will be glorious. At the same time, Labour will come to power in rUK after a period of coalition, reneging on all their promises, and leave office in 2032 only for the Tories to make a triumphalist return to “clean up the mess”, which will lead to 24 years of them gutting the UK (rinse and repeat).

7 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

No, you didn’t, but you did ask about right wing policies that the current Labour Party have, I’ve given you one, I expect a full apology, in writing. 

😃😃 Fair play. 

And I haven't painted him as a 'saviour' of the left, but rather suggested that the current proposals of the Labour Party (which is more than Keir Starmer), are of a centre left variety, and certainly not 'right wing' overall. Is he going to get some things wrong? Of course, (I certainly don't agree with Brexit, or indeed stopping MP's from standing on a picket line)...just in a choice between a Tory govt, an SNP vision of Indpendence,,,,,I would rather see a Labour one.....and if Labour do win the election, and the SNP have 50+ seats, then yes, that govt should negotiate Independence.

Edited by Jedi

Maybe so (on the Greens). Still don't see them anywhere near power in an Independent Scotland though, and yes, you shouldn't just vote for a party that you think will be winners, but rather the one that you (mostly) agree with. 

Not quite so sure that given the current Tory govt that they will only be out for one term though.

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

And the reverse would also be true..no? I'm not saying that SNP 'bad' is true in all cases...they have made some achievements in government, However for many voters their record is beyond any reproach. 

Ffs, I used to be an SNP fanboy, not any more, but they are a means to an end for me, then I can cast a true vote. I’ll vote SNP till the minute we are free from small minded, flag shagging ideologues that make up the two largest parties in the soon to be defunct UK. 
To compare the mistakes the SNP have made in government to the Shitbin that Labour & Conservative parties have subjected us to since the early 2000’s is imbecilic in the extreme. 

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

😃😃 Fair play. 

And I haven't painted him as a 'saviour' of the left, but rather suggested that the current proposals of the Labour Party (which is more than Keir Starmer), are of a centre left variety, and certainly not 'right wing' overall. Is he going to get some things wrong? Of course, (I certainly don't agree with Brexit, or indeed stopping MP's from standing on a picket line)...just in a choice between a Tory govt, an SNP vision of Indpendence,,,,,I would rather see a Labour one.

And I wouldn’t, because we have a clear record of what a Labour-led UK leads to: years if not decades of Tory-led governments over which we have no say. You really can’t expect people to get excited about the mere possibility of a Labour blip, especially not one built on promises by a nonentity like Starmer. How stupid do you think we are? We can literally look back on the past ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty years and see the direction of travel of the UK - we can see how the system works and who it favours.

'puddle drinking imbecile',(in the extreme no less) 'moron' .....all nice epithets for not clapping the SNP through.

Don't know if someone who was the Director of Public Prosecutions is exactly a nonentity...still, time will tell.

Edited by Jedi

8 minutes ago, Jedi said:

😃😃 Fair play. 

And I haven't painted him as a 'saviour' of the left, but rather suggested that the current proposals of the Labour Party (which is more than Keir Starmer), are of a centre left variety, and certainly not 'right wing' overall. Is he going to get some things wrong? Of course, (I certainly don't agree with Brexit, or indeed stopping MP's from standing on a picket line)...just in a choice between a Tory govt, an SNP vision of Indpendence,,,,,I would rather see a Labour one.....and if Labour do win the election, and the SNP have 50+ seats, then yes, that govt should negotiate Independence.

Sorry, you can’t get away with this, you claimed that other than flag shagging “make Brexit work” Labour had no right wing policies, you’ve been proved wrong & no amount of emojis will disguise that.