What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

On 17/08/2022 at 12:39, Salt n Vinegar said:

It's all going very well for Labour.  They'll have the Tories out in no time... 

"The party lost nearly 100,000 members last year - falling from 523,332 at the close of 2020 to 432,213 by the end of 2021- and has been left with a £5 million black hole in its accounts." 

From -  https://www.thenational.scot/news/20667711.uk-labour-party-haemorrhaging-funds-members-accounts-reveal/

The Tories and the Daily Mail must be p!$$!ng themselves.

They had a massive surge in membership under Corbyn.  Now that he's no longer a force it isn't surprising that a lot of people that joined when he was in charge will be giving up membership.  I expect a lot more will follow.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/explaining-the-pro-corbyn-surge-in-labours-membership/

21 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

Yeah, but not as many rich donors willing to plough in hundreds of thousands at a time to keep the party ticking over (for favours). 

Totally. If Labour get back in power, expect the megarich to start opening their wallets to the party again. 

On 22/08/2022 at 14:18, Brother Blades said:

Yeah, but not as many rich donors willing to plough in hundreds of thousands at a time to keep the party ticking over (for favours). 

Most of them are hiding on their yachts off the Turkish and UAE coasts at the moment, doubt there will be many cheques flooding into Tory HQ.

9 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Political posturing at its worst.  They don’t need any changes to their constitution to stop having a coalition with any other party.  I hope it comes back to bite them in the arse.

My big concern is the SNP having the courage to use their position if they hold the balance of power after the next GE.

22 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hilarious. Oddly, they appear to have no such principles with regard to the Tories.

Still, given that Labour suspended Edinburgh Labour Councillors for not supporting a deal with the Tories, I suppose that would be a bit of a stretch. 

Surely as British/English Nationalists the Tories would be included?

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Surely as British/English Nationalists the Tories would be included?

Given that Keir “Let’s Make Brexit Work” Starmer has discovered the joys of UK nationalism himself, the whole announcement gets even more bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any Labour Party members who post on here?

If so is there any serious debate still ongoing about getting rid of FPTP?

ETA I stumbled across this article that made me ask.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/27/unions-vote-down-local-labour-parties-call-to-axe-first-past-the-post

Edited by Granny Danger

They most certainly should be discussing scrapping FPTP. Given that opinion polls at the moment suggest Lab short of a majority and needing the support of the Lib Dems to form a govt, that would presumably be a central part of any negotiations. They definitely shouldn't hold another Referendum on it though, but make it part of policy to be enacted by a majority in parliament. 

Also, for all the talk of a Truss bounce in the polls, the Lab lead has increased since she took over to between 12-15%

33 minutes ago, Jedi said:

They most certainly should be discussing scrapping FPTP. Given that opinion polls at the moment suggest Lab short of a majority and needing the support of the Lib Dems to form a govt, that would presumably be a central part of any negotiations. They definitely shouldn't hold another Referendum on it though, but make it part of policy to be enacted by a majority in parliament. 

Also, for all the talk of a Truss bounce in the polls, the Lab lead has increased since she took over to between 12-15%