What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Corbyn was too boring, he couldnt hold anyones attention long enough to get his point across. 

On another point about Labour and another good reason for independence

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/21/great-english-city-sold-abu-dhabis-elite-manchester

Not that I expect Scottish politics to be any less corrupt within 20 years but at least we would be starting from a cleaner slate and we have the chance of creating a fairer society, unlike now

Edited by BigDoddyKane

Listening to Wes Streeting on LBC standing in for James O'Brien this morning, talking to a caller about Brexit, he ventured to suggest, as an aside, there should not be another refendum on Scottish Independence bringing up all the usual crap about a 300 year old union, now is not the time, we've already had one, etc, etc, etc.

He then said, "Oh dear, now the phone lines are going mad with callers from Scotland, and I'll address these shortly:

How many did he address?  Not a single solitary one!

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Listening to Wes Streeting on LBC standing in for James O'Brien this morning, talking to a caller about Brexit, he ventured to suggest, as an aside, there should not be another refendum on Scottish Independence bringing up all the usual crap about a 300 year old union, now is not the time, we've already had one, etc, etc, etc.

He then said, "Oh dear, now the phone lines are going mad with callers from Scotland, and I'll address these shortly:

How many did he address?  Not a single solitary one!

Surprising. 

The Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart podcast has Starmer on it this week. He came over and spoke quite well, but was horribly slipperly and evasive on brexit and indy and when asked about policies he just kept repeating "the economy" over and over again. 

Its all relative of course and he's aeons ahead of either of the Tory options. But there's just no substance to him. 

Good chance he'll pull a classic Labour move of losing the next ge despite all of the many, many advantages the Tories have gifted to him. 

37 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Surprising. 

The Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart podcast has Starmer on it this week. He came over and spoke quite well, but was horribly slipperly and evasive on brexit and indy and when asked about policies he just kept repeating "the economy" over and over again. 

Its all relative of course and he's aeons ahead of either of the Tory options. But there's just no substance to him. 

Good chance he'll pull a classic Labour move of losing the next ge despite all of the many, many advantages the Tories have gifted to him. 

Remember Joh  Smith talking about devolution being the "settled will" of the Scottish people. Well, the status quo - out of the EU and no more indyref - is the settled will of the English people, and anyone trying to be the UK prime minister needs to pander to this. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Remember Joh  Smith talking about devolution being the "settled will" of the Scottish people. Well, the status quo - out of the EU and no more indyref - is the settled will of the English people, and anyone trying to be the UK prime minister needs to pander to this. 

This is undoubtedly true but I found his policy stuff, not just on brexit and indy, so vacuous I think he's in serious danger of turning folk off. The blue rinses and racists, will vote, the GTTO Labour crowd  will vote but will a bland as f**k and anodyne "we'll do the same but more betterly" message get the less engaged off their arsed and to the polling booth? I don't think so and he'll need them. 

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

And then of course, there was George Robertson declaring that devolution would kill Scottish Nationalism stone dead.

Robertson, the guy who's mouth, appropriately enough, bore a striking resemblance to an arsehole.

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

This is undoubtedly true but I found his policy stuff, not just on brexit and indy, so vacuous I think he's in serious danger of turning folk off. The blue rinses and racists, will vote, the GTTO Labour crowd  will vote but will a bland as f**k and anodyne "we'll do the same but more betterly" message get the less engaged off their arsed and to the polling booth? I don't think so and he'll need them. 

I think labour are still a bit scared of pushing radical policies - they don't want anyone accusing them of being Corbynite. 

5 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Again I think that's true, but:

“You must stand up for what you believe, but first of all, by God, believe in something,”

True. And this is Labour's weakness. 

One think we know from the Truss/Sunak battle is that we know what they are for (low takes, small state) even if they are hopeless and cannot achieve it. The SNP are for independence. Greens are for lentils and bamboo pants. Liberals are for rejoining the EU. 

Labour have no easy line to hang themselves on.

16 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

And then of course, there was George Robertson declaring that devolution would kill Scottish Nationalism stone dead.

Robertson, the guy who's mouth, appropriately enough, bore a striking resemblance to an arsehole.

I would love to hear what he thinks of that quote now...

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

They’re terrified to admit Brexit is a disaster 

Brexit is great and labour will make it work is what they have all been peddling in recent interviews and that includes the north British branch 

6 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Surprising. 

I listened to that and have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed by Starmer. I didn’t hear anything from him that would make me want to vote Labour apart from the fact that the other option(UK wise) is much worse.

They also talked about another Indy Ref on their most recent Podcast and more or less dismissed it saying that very few in Scotland  actually wanted one totally disregarding the fact it was in the SNP manifesto and the Tories only message prior to the election was to vote for them in order to stop a referendum!

On 19/07/2022 at 18:44, Clown Job said:

“Labour's left and right wings both treated the issue of anti-Semitism as a "factional weapon" when Jeremy Corbyn was leader, a report says.“

Labour shouldn’t have a right wing

Quite a decent expansion on this point.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/forde-report-jeremy-corbyn-keir-starmer-b2130074.html