What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

46 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

They’ve been promising this for as long as I can remember 

They really should be called out for it, cause we know they are serious especially as they keep electing people to it 

Tony was going to do this, it was one of their manifesto pledges way back when. They didn't manage it when they were popular, unlikely to happen today. I think that's why it was handed down to Anas to announce, it just a turd repolished.

Sarwar said: “Labour will do no deal with the SNP.

“No deal. No pact. No behind-closed-doors arrangement. No coalition. At the next election, we will be fighting for every vote and we are aiming to form a majority Labour government. Should we fall short of that, and be in a position to form a minority government, the SNP will face a simple choice.

“It can choose to keep the Tories in power, or choose to back a Labour government. And I dare Nicola Sturgeon to back the Tories and put them back in power, and see how Scotland responds.”

I don't forsee a SNP contingent at Westminster who sticks to their demands and places Labour in uncomfortable position as being quite the vote-loser he thinks it would be. In any event, my hunch is that Labour are so thirsty for power that they would immediately fold like the cheap suits they are and if Anas' words were brought to their attention it would be pointed out that Anas is not the Leader of the Labour Party and is just a sub-functionary who can be safely ignored.

2 hours ago, Zern said:

I don't forsee a SNP contingent at Westminster who sticks to their demands and places Labour in uncomfortable position as being quite the vote-loser he thinks it would be. In any event, my hunch is that Labour are so thirsty for power that they would immediately fold like the cheap suits they are and if Anas' words were brought to their attention it would be pointed out that Anas is not the Leader of the Labour Party and is just a sub-functionary who can be safely ignored.

Everything else aside the Labour Party are tactically inept.  Their inability to judge public opinion is bordering on frightening.

So Starmer's promising to commit his party to remaining outside the EU, the Customs Union, and the single market. In other words, a hard Brexit.

Does he really believe this policy will win him seats in Scotland, or anywhere else for that matter?

Edited by ICTJohnboy

There's a very good reason why Keir Starmer an MP, leader of the party and potential PM gave the speech on keeping brexit exactly the same. While Anas Sarwar, a list MSP gave his on abolishing the House of Lords and Andy Burnham, a jumped up town crier and Beadle of Arsechester, spoke about Labour adopting PR. 

In other news, Angela Flappsbutter, 62, lollipop lady from Folkstone and Labour party activist will today announce Labours plan to provide safe and legal routes for those seeking asylum and her bichon-frise "Precious" will lay out the parties new progressive taxation policy that will definitely definitely happen. 

21 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Sarwar argues there should be a legal duty for parties to co-operate. Before going on to say he'll not be working with SNP under any circumstance. Idiot.

It's as if the Labour "leadership" got together and said "right, so we're agreed then... the best we can do about our Scottish electability problem is settled. We will firmly shut the door on Europe and refuse to work with its most popular political party. God, we're good, eh?" 

Ian Murray must be tearing his hair out. 

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Everything else aside the Labour Party are tactically inept.  Their inability to judge public opinion is bordering on frightening.

What a time to start backing Brexit, just as everything starts to reach peak clusterfuck.

He'll be showing everyone his fidget-spinner next.

It is also ridiculous. His policy appears to be aligning closer to EU without actually joining, yet that means the UK remains outside the EU trade bloc and cannot progress the membership application to the CPTPP trade bloc. The worst of both worlds.

4 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Sarwar argues there should be a legal duty for parties to co-operate. Before going on to say he'll not be working with SNP under any circumstance. Idiot.

I understood that to mean the Scottish government will be legally bound to do what they're fucking told by a Labour UK government. 

And pretend it's cooperation.