What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

4 hours ago, doulikefish said:

All the labour types that were  promoting the press attacks about Corbyn can't believe how easy it has been to destroy Sir Keir .This finishes with his resignation the attack dogs are off the leash 

This is about the size of it. Seeing the likes of Streeting, Nandy, Phillips and a parade of Guardian and Mirror journalists criticising the dishonesty and bad faith of people using this to knobble Starmer while clearly not giving a f**k about the underlying issue - some nutter pundit even described this as the worst partisan attack a leader of the opposition has ever faced from the British press :lol: - is simply extremely funny after the conduct of the same people over the last 7 years. I was under the impression that believing negative stories could be created by the press out of thin air was a sure sign of dangerous Stalinist cranks who are a genuine threat to democracy and a free press?

Keir Starmer deports people over a scoop of ice cream, locks them up for months for stealing a bottle of water and tried to deliver an autistic man to life imprisonment in the US, being absolutely furious when a bleeding heart liberal like, er, Theresa May intervened to stop him. Going by his standards the proportionate response to him having a curry would an extraordinary rendition to be waterboarded by the CIA. If he ends up resigning then good, f**k him.

34 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

20220509_224504.thumb.jpg.8a9d9aad46836f176436feda674ec469.jpg

6 more weeks of this.

He's already been found out to have misled on the Rayner thing and that the event was preplanned, that's what the tories will focus on. You think Johnson is going to magically fall on his sword ?

Do you think he wouldn't fall on his sword if he was aware he would probably lose a vote of no confidence?

2 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I dunno, I call Nicola Sturgeon "Nicola" quite a lot and refer to Keir Starmer as "Keir" often so I'm not sure what this grand manipulation is other than I sometimes call politicians by the first name... 

Yes but Johnston’s first name is Alexander. You can use Alex for short if you want. The boris stuff is simply spin by him and his staff.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Yes but Johnston’s first name is Alexander. You can use Alex for short if you want. The boris stuff is simply spin by him and his staff.

If I had referred to Boris Johnson as Alexander in my post that would be more likely to confuse people...

I might create a new Twitter account and do WRK's bit about going insane when anyone types Boris but the twist is I'm doing to it right wingers and centrist melts who posts about Stalin or Stalinism.

"His name is fucking Jughashvili you idiot. By calling him Man Of Steel you are just playing the Bolshevik trickster's game."

7 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Do you think he wouldn't fall on his sword if he was aware he would probably lose a vote of no confidence?

He probably would, but that doesn't mean he's going to face a vote of no confidence that he's likely to lose.

I hope you're not assuming that the leader of the Tories is going to be held to the same standards as the leader of the Labour Party.

9 hours ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

20220509_224504.thumb.jpg.8a9d9aad46836f176436feda674ec469.jpg

6 more weeks of this.

He's already been found out to have misled on the Rayner thing and that the event was preplanned, that's what the tories will focus on. You think Johnson is going to magically fall on his sword ?

It’s a headline from one newspaper, the rest of the print media are taking a slightly-radically different stance.

BTW anyone who reads the Daily Heil already has their mind made up about Starmer and Labour.

2 hours ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

He probably would, but that doesn't mean he's going to face a vote of no confidence that he's likely to lose.

I hope you're not assuming that the leader of the Tories is going to be held to the same standards as the leader of the Labour Party.

Aye I think he will. Especially if we see the Gray report, some new pictures or even more fines on the doorstep in the coming weeks. 

After all the goings on in Parliament and keeping in mind the sycophants on the back benches, I am coming to the conclusion that BoJo is now well into Trump territory. He could do virtually anything, maybe just short of shooting someone on The Mall, and the "Heah Heah" brigade would roar their approval. 

13 days the Daily Heil has had this on its front page. Cost of living crisis, inflation, Ukraine, climate change, local elections, Queen's health - all of it playing second fiddle to trying to get after Starmer. They must be terrified of him. 

In the end he played the only card he could. No way he could stay on if fined, so he made it a badge of honour. Now people can see a difference between him and BawJaws; this whole thing had been done to make the curry the same as Boris's birthday parties, leaving do's, BYOB nights, quiz parties and Christmas parties. And in the end I reckon the only thing people will really take away from this is that Starmer is a man of integrity whereas Johnson isn't. This has backfired on the right wing press. 

43 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

13 days the Daily Heil has had this on its front page. Cost of living crisis, inflation, Ukraine, climate change, local elections, Queen's health - all of it playing second fiddle to trying to get after Starmer. They must be terrified of him. 

In the end he played the only card he could. No way he could stay on if fined, so he made it a badge of honour. Now people can see a difference between him and BawJaws; this whole thing had been done to make the curry the same as Boris's birthday parties, leaving do's, BYOB nights, quiz parties and Christmas parties. And in the end I reckon the only thing people will really take away from this is that Starmer is a man of integrity whereas Johnson isn't. This has backfired on the right wing press. 

Having more integrity than Boris Johnson doesn't make you a man of integrity. 

And i think you overestimate the ability of Daily Mail readers to form their own views based on evidence. 

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The most cope-laden statement in the history of the sub forum 

This would be a fitting end to Starmer's time as leader. Almost his every action has been justified and lionised by those invested in his project while he collapses the party's finances, loses their ground game, achieves zero meaningful victories and becomes more disliked by the public the more they learn about him. So to conduct this big brain integrity play to the applause of the choir, while everyone else can see it will prevent barely a single voter ticking the big conservative box at the next election, is very funny.

Say what you want about Corbyn, but within 2 years he'd built the closest we've seen to a mass movement in this country for decades and gained the largest increase in vote share by the labour party since '45, and that's with press coverage that was not as awful as we'd see in 18/19 but far worse than Keith's couple of weeks with beergate. While he's obviously not had an election to fight, it's staggering how little concrete progress he's made. Was actually shocked it had been as long as two years he'd been in charge 

2 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Aye I think he will. Especially if we see the Gray report, some new pictures or even more fines on the doorstep in the coming weeks. 

It's the same energy as this I'm afraid.

Screen_Shot_2018-10-24_at_11_08.29_AM.jpg.9788e50e385d99d0456b2d90f34f5347.jpg

17 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

This would be a fitting end to Starmer's time as leader. Almost his every action has been justified and lionised by those invested in his project while he collapses the party's finances, loses their ground game, achieves zero meaningful victories and becomes more disliked by the public the more they learn about him. So to conduct this big brain integrity play to the applause of the choir, while everyone else can see it will prevent barely a single voter ticking the big conservative box at the next election, is very funny.

Say what you want about Corbyn, but within 2 years he'd built the closest we've seen to a mass movement in this country for decades and gained the largest increase in vote share by the labour party since '45, and that's with press coverage that was not as awful as we'd see in 18/19 but far worse than Keith's couple of weeks with beergate. While he's obviously not had an election to fight, it's staggering how little concrete progress he's made. Was actually shocked it had been as long as two years he'd been in charge 

He's stopped the party from falling apart, which was pretty much his remit. 

I don't think that it's worth holding together though. 

The triangulating third way managerialists should all piss off and form their own party with Keir as the boss and leave the people who backed Corbyn's moderate Social Democrat agenda to have a proper Labour party. 

17 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

It's the same energy as this I'm afraid.

Screen_Shot_2018-10-24_at_11_08.29_AM.jpg.9788e50e385d99d0456b2d90f34f5347.jpg

We shall see. I said I predict Boris will be gone by Autumn not necessarily immediately. 

I think the centre ground will win at the next GE and I can see why this would not be pleasant for both Tories and Corbyn supporters.

It's perfectly understandable why many on the left would be cynical about this outcome.