What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

22 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I believe shifting to the centre and getting some centre right voters to be essential. 

Absolutely, but if you're doing it in a way that is alienating your support on the left, you're not going to gain much.

25 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Disagree regarding your authoritarianism point, that stuff is internal party politics whereas the SNP in general prefer to do it with the general populace imo. 

Well, if you consider Starmer to be a return to pre Corbyn Labour, the last Labour governments gave us the surveillance state, they created 3000 new offences and oversaw a big increase in both sentences and the prison population.

37 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I'd say you could easily describe the current SNP as another similar flavour similar to Tories and Labour though. 

Absolutely. Just different flags.

Although, I'd probably still put the SNP  to the left of them on certain, but not all issues.

4 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Tartan Tories over Labour. 

That's big sad. 

30 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I believe shifting to the centre and getting some centre right voters to be essential. 

You seem to have a very specific window for where Toryism is acceptable.

I personally have some assumptions about where the current Labour leadership are politically based on the battles they're choosing and tabloid headlines they're chasing. But in terms of real issues, I have no idea what their position is on anything.

When it comes to elections, if they're willing to cooperate with other parties that they should have plenty in common with, it'll be an encouraging sign and I I'll definitely be hoping they win overall. If, as I suspect, everyone left of Jeremy Hunt is expected to do their social duty and get on board while he drinks pints of bitter in front of flegs and talks about executing terror suspects without trial or whatever, there isn't so much to care about.

42 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Was it last week Labour announced they’re standing a former head of the OO as a candidate for public office?

Some values eh 

Not something I'm familiar with. Do you think being a member of the OO should bar someone from being involved in politics on any level? 

I'm sure we could drag up unsavoury types from each political party and it wouldn't be a fair reflection on values. 

Starmer calls for Wales ‘smacking ban’ to be extended across whole of UK

Keith on the ball again forgetting or probably not knowing that Scotland stopped kids getting smacked 2 years ago. 🤦‍♂️

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/wales-welsh-government-children-abolition-mark-drakeford-b2040447.html

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

On social issues though I'd back Labour. They would have, if in power, done something to help the poorest face the cost of living crisis. What we've had from the Tories is laughable. Just think of all we've lost since 2010 - Sure Start, school building programmes, low levels of child poverty, a fairly well funded NHS, and so on. 

There are arguments both for and against this theory imo. On the plus side, they brought in Tax Credits, which although frequently hopelessly administered by HMRC, were generally a bit of a success in lifting families out of both out-of, and in-work poverty. Conversely they also brought in ESA and the hugely flawed Work Capability Assessment system, which was, and remains completely unfit for purpose and has fucked over hundreds or thousands of disabled folk. They also changed position and were less than convincing in their opposition to Universal Credit, and I think abstained on a crucial welfare reform vote. At the moment I highly doubt they'd do much different from the Tory c***s at all. They'd probably just be a bit mote polite in fucking people over. 

9 hours ago, pawpar said:

Starmer calls for Wales ‘smacking ban’ to be extended across whole of UK

Keith on the ball again forgetting or probably not knowing that Scotland stopped kids getting smacked 2 years ago. 🤦‍♂️

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/wales-welsh-government-children-abolition-mark-drakeford-b2040447.html

Might just be poor journalism on that one.

UK Labour leader Keir Starmer calls for Wales' smacking ban to be extended to England (nation.cymru)

Edit: My bad. There is an actual quote in this report.

Smacking: Two thirds of people think physically punishing children should be illegal | Evening Standard

Speaking on a visit to Stevenage, Sir Keir said the move was “welcome”.

“What it does is give children the protection that adults already have, and that is the right thing,” he told reporters.

“I would like to see the rest of the UK step into line here, because I think, well, Welsh Labour have taken a lead here and they’re absolutely right to protect children in the way that they now have.”

Looks like he was trying to pretend that Labour were leading the way when they weren't.

Edited by Suspect Device

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s another shite troll/alias added to the ignore list.

He must be pretty good at it TBF. Look at the number of bites in the last few pages alone.

It can't even be sport anymore. Later iterations should include a banner outlining "this entire post is bait" just to see how many people decide to argue with it anyway.

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He must be pretty good at it TBF. Look at the number of bites in the last few pages alone.

It can't even be sport anymore. Later iterations should include a banner outlining "this entire post is bait" just to see how many people decide to argue with it anyway.

Creating an alias after each corresponding ban to troll the Politics section of a football forum is fucking tragic behaviour. We should probably be pitying him as much as anything else. What a depressingly empty existence. 

Funny though. 

10 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Creating an alias after each corresponding ban to troll the Politics section of a football forum is fucking tragic behaviour. We should probably be pitying him as much as anything else. What a depressingly empty existence. 

Funny though. 

I'm guessing they get their arses handed to them much faster on actual politics forums, so this kind of low-hanging fruit is best they can manage.

41 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Funny though. 

This is what I’ve always been curious about. Something mentally must be going on in the downtime between aliases, along the lines of “right - I can’t wait any longer. Time to make another fake account and start trying to wind up strangers online again. Yasss!”

An actual human being has these thoughts and presumably no one around to talk them out of them.