What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

"LabourList understands that Cameron was reinterviewed by a Labour Scottish executive committee interview panel and was not able to satisfy the party that she would follow the Scottish Labour group whip if elected as an MSP."

Seems fair to me. New leader makes his position clear, someone instantly undermines it, they have to go. 

Lennon probably privately agrees but I doubt she'll go against the party's new direction (I know it's not new but you know what I mean)

56 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

"LabourList understands that Cameron was reinterviewed by a Labour Scottish executive committee interview panel and was not able to satisfy the party that she would follow the Scottish Labour group whip if elected as an MSP."

Seems fair to me. New leader makes his position clear, someone instantly undermines it, they have to go. 

Lennon probably privately agrees but I doubt she'll go against the party's new direction (I know it's not new but you know what I mean)

That's a fair point.

For me the bigger question is really why she's in the Labour Party to begin with. 

Did it really matter whether she’d follow the party whip, given she has as much chance as I do of actually being an MSP? I think it would have been a chance for Sarwar to show that Labour aren’t just some Tory-lite Union above all else party, but I suppose that wouldn’t be true.

As an aside, I know one of the people on the Labour NE List, and they voted yes last time.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Did it really matter whether she’d follow the party whip, given she has as much chance as I do of actually being an MSP? I think it would have been a chance for Sarwar to show that Labour aren’t just some Tory-lite Union above all else party, but I suppose that wouldn’t be true.

As an aside, I know one of the people on the Labour NE List, and they voted yes last time.

Keiran O Neill, my constituency candidate, voted Yes last time and it's a big part of his campaign but he's saying he's since switched his stance (f**k knows why). Imagine the person you know will be the same. Scottish Labour want people who voted Yes last time but crucially they won't want people who would still vote Yes... And everyone I know who would has since left the party.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

That's a fair point.

For me the bigger question is really why she's in the Labour Party to begin with. 

Well to be fair to her I'm pretty sure she is pro more devolution rather than full Independence or she at least seemed to be entertaining that within her campaign, she may or may not join the SNP at some point if she felt Labour were being too closed minded on the case but she probably has other issues aside from Indy which I'm not too sure about. 

I wasnt too familiar with her until the start of last year when I worked in a shop and would read the papers daily and she was always making a lot of good points as she was the Labours health msp (I dont know what you call it in SG) certainly was getting more traction than Sarwar or Leonard at the time. 

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

Well to be fair to her I'm pretty sure she is pro more devolution rather than full Independence or she at least seemed to be entertaining that within her campaign, she may or may not join the SNP at some point if she felt Labour were being too closed minded on the case but she probably has other issues aside from Indy which I'm not too sure about. 

I wasnt too familiar with her until the start of last year when I worked in a shop and would read the papers daily and she was always making a lot of good points as she was the Labours health msp (I dont know what you call it in SG) certainly was getting more traction than Sarwar or Leonard at the time. 

I mean this girl that's been punted from the candidacy.

I don't find Lennon being personally against independence but believing that if folk return a pro-referendum parliament then there should be a referendum particularly incongruous with being in the Labour party. Or at least it shouldn't be. I imagine it's not a widely held view within the remaining membership and group of MSPs. And that is part of Labour's problem. They've spent years alienating those in favour of independence or at least those who are open to it or having a referendum on it.

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Keiran O Neill, my constituency candidate, voted Yes last time and it's a big part of his campaign but he's saying he's since switched his stance (f**k knows why). Imagine the person you know will be the same. Scottish Labour want people who voted Yes last time but crucially they won't want people who would still vote Yes... And everyone I know who would has since left the party.

That’s possibly true. As you say, f**k knows why.

Off topic, but when’s the deadline for announcing candidates? I don’t think Labour have said who’s running in my constituency, and it’ll be nice to know who’s finishing fourth.

7 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I mean this girl that's been punted from the candidacy.

I don't find Lennon being personally against independence but believing that if folk return a pro-referendum parliament then there should be a referendum particularly incongruous with being in the Labour party. Or at least it shouldn't be. I imagine it's not a widely held view within the remaining membership and group of MSPs. And that is part of Labour's problem. They've spent years alienating those in favour of independence or at least those who are open to it or having a referendum on it.

Ohhh right, I did think it was a bit of a leap to go from being open to having a referendum to meaning they must be in the SNP tbf..

Yeah you're right in that respect, they've been caught trying to play both sides too many times that nobody on either side is that keen on them imo.

17 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Did it really matter whether she’d follow the party whip, given she has as much chance as I do of actually being an MSP?

That's actually a very good point.  The New Statesman's prediction chart the other week had only one other candidate with a chance of winning Kelvin - Partick Harvie and have him an 11% chance.  Now granted the party could say that her views might be latched upon and used by their rivals but this action has given those views way more publicity than they'd gotten before and have given the party some bad publicity.  A complete own goal and they'd have been better saying and doing nothing.

6 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

That's actually a very good point.  The New Statesman's prediction chart the other week had only one other candidate with a chance of winning Kelvin - Partick Harvie and have him an 11% chance.  Now granted the party could say that her views might be latched upon and used by their rivals but this action has given those views way more publicity than they'd gotten before and have given the party some bad publicity.  A complete own goal and they'd have been better saying and doing nothing.

It’s a weird one. I imagine it’s a stance that looks great to your ‘rule Britannia’ ultra unionist types, but most of them won’t be voting Labour regardless of this.

As you say, all it’s done is draw attention to it. I had no idea who Hollie Cameron was, let alone her views on a referendum, and I’m sure, had they not punted her, that would have stayed the same. 

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

What's the basis for the belief that McCleish is secretly pro-independence? It's not something I know anything about but I see it all the time.

I think it's just because he takes a reasonable view on the issue of the referendum. Basically that respecting democracy is something we should probably do and refusing one in the event of a pro-independence majority is not a good look and probably damaging in the long run.

I've never seen him say anything remotely close to support for independence and I doubt he'll publicly switch any time soon. I think it's just that he looks relatively less like a raging uber-unionist next to 99% of the Labour party.

The Scottish Labour MEP David Martin became quite independence neutral in the last few years and I assume Henry McLeish is still a party member (will he ever finally come out for Yes?!).
I would not be surprised if someone like Dugdale or Findlay came out in favour of independence