What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Parties I'd like to see in an independent Scotland:
  • Chad green party. Top shagger student wing.
  • 'I suppose we'll have to make the best of it' right wing party. Have all had sex precisely 1 (one) time.
  • 'We'll campaign to our dying breath to rejoin the union' ultra right wing party. As kids went to school in a suit an briefcase.
  • Orkney autonomous region party. Raids the mainland.
  • Shetland autonomous region party. Raids Orkney.
  • Na Eilean Siar autonomous region party. Hates the Gaelic separatists.
  • Gaelic Separatists. Only speak in Gaelic. Scrape the english names off road signs. Don't even acknowledge those other guys hate them.

No parties, only factions

Current opinion polling has the Tories on 39% and Labour on...39% Some pulls have the Tories 1 point ahead...I would call that neck and neck.

Starmer has a net approval rating at present of +5, Johnson is -8.

To be neck and neck at this stage is fine, as this is before Brexit unravels. One worry I have is that the Tories will claim they 'saved' the economy with the furlough scheme, and who knows, their 'wealth' tax in time. However, they won't be able to paint Labour as bankrupting the country, after they have racked up the highest borrowing on record.

Lets face it, the Tory vote this time last year was largely driven by 2 factors-Get Brexit Done, and Corbyn being unsuitable to be PM.

Both of these have gone by 2024, as Brexit will be a disaster, and Starmer will appeal much more to middle England than Corbyn ever could.

We have no idea what the Scottish landscape will be in 2024.....Indy Ref held (or not), won or lost.....all that will have a massive bearing on voting behaviour in Scotland.

Labour will obviously get trounced again in May, I accept that, but....if the SNP have failed to deliver Indy by the time of the next GE, where does that vote go then? If it is either a 'ref hasn't been held yet, or held and narrowly lost,' will the SNP sweep everything before them again in a GE?

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

What party were you a member of again? 

Seems he fought valiantly for the SNP all the way through including the Blair and Brown years, then when Boris and Brexit happened and the polls for independence reached 58%, he had a road to Damascus moment and thought he'd wasted his whole life, Keir Starmer and Richard Leonard are the people to lead us to the promised land.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Current opinion polling has the Tories on 39% and Labour on...39% Some pulls have the Tories 1 point ahead...I would call that neck and neck.

Starmer has a net approval rating at present of +5, Johnson is -8.

To be neck and neck at this stage is fine.

They should be 20 points ahead m80.

200.gif

You know they say all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Samoa Joe and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE! See, normally if you go one-on-one with another wrestler you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak, and I'm not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best at beat me! And then you add Kurt Angle to the mix? You-the chances of winning drastically go down. See, the 3-Way at Sacrifice, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But I! I got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, cuz Kurt Angle KNOOOWS he can't beat me, and he's not even gonna try. So, Samoa Joe, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus my twenty five percent chance (if we was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning at Sacrifice. But then you take my 75 perchance-chance of winnin' (if we was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two thirds…percents, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winning at Sacrifice! Señor Joe? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sacrifice as any other leader would be 20 points ahead

Edited by NotThePars

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Seems he fought valiantly for the SNP all the way through including the Blair and Brown years, then when Boris and Brexit happened and the polls for independence reached 58%, he had a road to Damascus moment and thought he'd wasted his whole life, Keir Starmer and Richard Leonard are the people to lead us to the promised land.

Tbf, you could imagine someone breaking psychologically trying to listen to a Richard Leonard question from start to finish. You'd be willing to believe anything to avoid him asking a follow up....

4 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Parties I'd like to see in an independent Scotland:

• 'I suppose we'll have to make the best of it' right wing party. Have all had sex precisely 1 (one) time.

Their slogan on the first post-indy election: "Tried It Once, Didn't Like It. Vote Kirk Elder Party".

Road to Damascus moment......Boris and Brexit, and 58% in the polls....not quite 😉.........Andrew Wilson's Growth Commission, and being outside the EU for some time, and a pretty terrible couple of years from the SNP, though...

15 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Road to Damascus moment......Boris and Brexit, and 58% in the polls....not quite 😉.........Andrew Wilson's Growth Commission, and being outside the EU for some time, and a pretty terrible couple of years from the SNP, though...

I’ve read this post three times and don’t understand it.

Okay....what 'changed; for me with the SNP after 36 years........the prospectus of the Growth Commission Report, and its proposal to cut public services for up to 10 years, the prospect of being 'Independent' but outside the EU, the centralisation of decision making in the party around a small cabal, their treatment of teachers and the schools issue in particular over the past 9 months, the handling of the Salmond inquiry, their record on public services....education, the health service in particular.

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Okay....what 'changed; for me with the SNP after 36 years........the prospectus of the Growth Commission Report, and its proposal to cut public services for up to 10 years, the prospect of being 'Independent' but outside the EU, the centralisation of decision making in the party around a small cabal, their treatment of teachers and the schools issue in particular over the past 9 months, the handling of the Salmond inquiry, their record on public services....education, the health service in particular.

I was a member of the Labour Party for over 20 years.  A councillor for 10 years, holder of various party positions including a member of the Scottish Executive for two years.

I couldn’t give my reasons for not voting Labour in 10 paragraphs let alone one.

Oh I could produce more than 10 paragraphs as well....but one is probably best for a chat forum. The above is the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by Jedi

Take the 'tip', that pesky 'o' key next to the 'i' 😉

SNP policy from the mid-80s, onwards was 'Independence in Europe', with that slogan on many a leaflet at the time.I know that the ambition for that still remains, but still think Brexit has stalled it for some time.

I know the counter argument would be that 'your 'devo-max' still leaves us outside the EU, as the UK has left', but I hold out the hope for (probably) a 2nd term Labour govt being able to conduct a successful rejoin referendum. Im still not convinced that the SNP will be truthful with folk on the transition to EU membership post-Indy.

The other counter argument could be...Norway eg is 'outside; the EU, and they do okay...yes and no, in the sense that they still have access to the single market through EFTA.

Edited by Jedi