What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m astounded by that and maybe a little sceptical.

Starmer would be the guy most likely to win a GE and whose government would be Tory Lite.

What would you prefer - a Far Right Tory government or a Centrist Labour one?

Because that's the only choice available for the UK.

There will never be a left wing Labour government in your lifetime, no matter how advanced medical science gets.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

There will never be a left wing Labour government in your lifetime, no matter how advanced medical science gets.

A centrist Labour one will simply lead to another far right Tory one.

The UK is drifting so far to the right that this Tory government filled with far right personalities who were previously roundly mocked is becoming the accepted position of the right.

There is absolutely no way that the ill educated Essex types are ever going to vote for a left of centre party now that their xenophobic previously secret views have been provided a platform and deemed by the bbc etc to be socially acceptable.

The only chance of a left of centre government in the British isles is if Scotland votes for independence. Although Stephen Yaxley Lennon and other BNP types have been told ‘no’ to Tory membership, the message that they back this government is very telling. Im genuinely scared how far an unchecked outspoken racist proven liar with psychopathic tendencies like Johnson will go.

-thats my position, convince me otherwise...

2 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

It's not far right vs Centrist. It's fascism vs slightly less far right.

The "centre ground" in British politics isn't where any other country would place the centre ground (with perhaps the exception of the US)

IMO the only party that will move British politics to the left, in England at least, is the Labour Party.  In the last four years, Corbyn has been leader of the party and is recognised as being on the left but I can't think of a single thing where he has shifted public opinion (as opposed to the party membership) to the left of where it was before he took charge.

It is only the Labour Party in power that can shift opinion.

If they can't ever win then they become an irrelevance.

14 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

IMO the only party that will move British politics to the left, in England at least, is the Labour Party.

That will be entirely the work of the Conservative Party.

Give them long enough in power and they'll forget to feign interest in the middle class, as per. Suddenly there'll be a lot of interest in the plight of people on low incomes  :lol:

6 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That will be entirely the work of the Conservative Party.

Give them long enough in power and they'll forget to feign interest in the middle class, as per. Suddenly there'll be a lot of interest in the plight of people on low incomes  :lol:

Honestly I don't that's true.  We have already had 10 years of Tory government and I think it has been pretty crap and yet the Tories can still win again.

I think it will only change when Labour is seen as a serious alternative which has not been true for years.

Labour needs to be seen to be less focused on Labour and more focused on the population at large. 

It would be good if the Labour Party had a stand out woman candidate but they are all pretty appalling.

Only ‘credible’ candidates are Starmer (who would be a retrograde step politically) and Clive Lewis who is the best option IMO but appears to have limited support.

16 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Monica Lennon seems like a good egg.
Arguing amongst themselves already.

tbf that looks to me like it could be a bit of a game-changer. If they regain their spine and lose that branch-office stigma, Scottish Labour will probably reclaim a good 10% from SNP

19 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

tbf that looks to me like it could be a bit of a game-changer. If they regain their spine and lose that branch-office stigma, Scottish Labour will probably reclaim a good 10% from SNP

Nicola's new punching bag tbh.