What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

To paraphrase Margaret from The Apprentice: “obviously a doctorate isn’t what it used to be”

PhDs have always been more an exercise in persistence rather than inspiration.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

I wrote my master's dissertation in a day and a half and I would have been ashamed for something like this to be included in it

An awful lot of his tweets seem to be about how working class people, although salt of the earth and charming, are really thick, so you have to give them a clear simple message. Then he comes out with shite like that. 

I think the issue is less capitalist realism (which is a really good concept and I'd recommend the book to anyone (RIP Mark Fisher)) and more that Bastani seems to be suggesting people are thick and need concepts explained to them. Which again, I'm not claiming to be a genius either and usually need concepts dumbed down a bit and think that's a problem with the left in general... But Bastani saying that like he's a brain genius who gets it all? Cool.

It just seems like he's saying an societal wide change has to take place from the bottom up and that any vanguard efforts have to be accessible to people who's main reading material is Instagram or the Sun.

The vast majority of people are not serious readers.

This bit of Society of the Spectacle has always stuck with me.

Proletarian revolution depends entirely on the condition that, for the first time, theory as intelligence of human practice be recognized and lived by the masses. It requires workers to become dialecticians and to inscribe their thought into practice.

Bastani seems to be suggesting the same thing for dumbed down 2019.

Edited by Detournement

14 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Verso do a 90% sale on all its ebooks every summer so I imagine it'll clean up then. I'm buying it to liberally quote from to annoy a friend of mine who's met him a few times.

13 hours ago, Jedi said:

Whats Jim Murphy up to these days?

More recently he has served as the Senior Adviser to the Tony Blair Institute. Additionally, he is a Trustee of the Foundation for Jewish Heritage, an Ambassador for the Internet Watch Foundation and a member of the Advisory Board of the Community Security Trust

https://www.ardenstrategies.com/new-page