What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

I cancelled my direct debit ages ago but still get emails and invites all the time. Might go, it can't get much worse than the last time I suggested they make it sound like they had a bigger problem with the Conservatives than the SNP.

MPs will debate the second reading of the immigration bill this afternoon (or the immigration and social security coordination [EU withdrawal] bill, to give it its full title). This is the legislation that will bring EU nationals under UK immigration law after Brexit. Labour will abstain when it comes to the vote.

17 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Jeezo which parties haven't you been a member of?

Well if you count my Maoist sect operating out of Possil Community Club, three. Maybe four actually cause I think I filled a form at Freedom Square in 2014 and the SSP tried to claim me as a member.

10 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Well if you count my Maoist sect operating out of Possil Community Club, three. Maybe four actually cause I think I filled a form at Freedom Square in 2014 and the SSP tried to claim me as a member.

Undercover with Special Branch imo. Did you get your hole?

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

MPs will debate the second reading of the immigration bill this afternoon (or the immigration and social security coordination [EU withdrawal] bill, to give it its full title). This is the legislation that will bring EU nationals under UK immigration law after Brexit. Labour will abstain when it comes to the vote.

Shameful.

It's like the mugs all over again.

Another fighting Labstention.

[emoji21]

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They are saying they will try to get amendments and if that fails then vote against it at the third reading.

It'll pass anyway.

Why are they abstaining? Wouldn't take many Tories to vote against for it to fail.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Why are they abstaining? Wouldn't take many Tories to vote against for it to fail.

I can't say for sure but I would assume that since new immigration laws are necessary for leaving the EU and leaving the EU is in the manifesto then they are willing to allow the full legislative procedure to occur before trying to vote it down.

It’s inexcusable tbh. I can see the argument that there might be people who rebel against the whip and causes another fresh round of media speculation about divisions in the party but it’s a horrendous issue to abstain on. They should be ashamed if they don’t oppose this at every turn. It was the welfare abstentions that propelled Corbyn to the leadership and he should know better. Every member I know is furious.

53 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I can't say for sure but I would assume that since new immigration laws are necessary for leaving the EU and leaving the EU is in the manifesto then they are willing to allow the full legislative procedure to occur before trying to vote it down.

New immigration laws are not necessary for leaving the EU.

So much for the party of international solidarity. Now no different from the insular Tory party hell-bent on dragging us back to their idea of some Golden Age (that never existed). Labour will be remembered as a party of abstention clinging on to the coat-tails of a dying empire, hand in hand with the Tories.  If remembered at all.