What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

It's soul crushing to realise that finally, when we manage to get rid of the Tories in the GE in a couple of years time, after all the destruction they've caused, that the next PM will be a Tory with a Labour badge slapped on him.

So demoralising.

Sir K giving Labour supporters in Scotland exactly the sort of information they need to reassure them that a Labour Government will give them what they want.. Unionist Conservatism. 

For goodness sake let's hope that nobody asks Sir K if he believes in evolution or if the Earth is flat... "Well, young Earth creationism has many interesting facets and its supporters make a compelling case. Flat Earth? Some would say the jury is out..." 

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Can you provide the quote for the article (the one of out of seveb) which suggests that Starmer is lying.

Thanks 

Sir Keir added: "Despite being a skilled toolmaker throughout his working life, my dad thought people looked down on him because he worked on the factory floor. He was right about that."

But Sir Keir's account of toolmaker Rodney Starmer's working-class credentials is likely to be challenged.

A recent biography of the Labour leader claimed his father was not an employee, but self-employed and ran his own business as a sole trader.

1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

The big question all this raises is of course, do we believe the actual leader of the Labour Party, or do we believe @Jedi and hope that Sir Keith is only trying not to scare the electorate & it will be the dawn of a radical left wing agenda if only they can win power? Hmmmm tough one! 

Not even Jedi believes Jedi.

He absolutely lost the run of himself in this thread and so has been at it for some time now.

25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Not even Jedi believes Jedi.

He absolutely lost the run of himself in this thread and so has been at it for some time now.

There are posters who treat him as if he’s serious.  

So, his dad, it turns out was a skilled toolmaker, which is a working class job, and presumably meant that he worked on a factory floor. Whether self-employed or working for other not all that relevant..and hardly a lie.

Despite all the citations of Starmer referencing every policy area I have mentioned, he is 'lying' about all these all well..critical thinking again.

In 1996 Gordon Brown talked about sticking to Tory spending plans for the first 2 years of govt...a lot of folk voted for them then. Don't really see the difference now in being bound by the economic mess the Tories leave.

The Sturg meanwhile is a renowned truth teller..indeed she can't even remember whether or not she was at meetings in her own home, when required.

'Being at it'=proproviding idence of Keir Starmer referencing and supporting a range of policies passed at Labour Conference.

.....and of course asking any questions of the SNPs record in govt.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

There are posters who treat him as if he’s serious.  

Looks like the “just honestly defending Labour, mate” mask is dropping again already - another poorly-written, spittle-flecked rant about ThE sTuRg and teh SNP incoming. You have to wonder how much of it’s just designed to get bites.

54 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Looks like the “just honestly defending Labour, mate” mask is dropping again already - another poorly-written, spittle-flecked rant about ThE sTuRg and teh SNP incoming. You have to wonder how much of it’s just designed to get bites.

dumb the simpsons GIF

Thankfully I don't see Jedi's content these days so I can't say whether he thinks Starmer is a useless tory c**t or not but based on the evidence to date, I'd be shocked if that wasn't the shared view across the country. 

As to Labour telling the truth, there have been articles in pro-Labour organs like the Graun (see the Brexit thread) suggesting that Labour's public commitment to Brexit is a deflection, and that secretly they're planning to edge closer to the EU but Shhh! don't tell anyone in the Red Wall.

I don't believe a word of it but what an intriguing campaign slogan for Labour. Vote Labour! We don't mean a word we say!

2 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

As to Labour telling the truth, there have been articles in pro-Labour organs like the Graun (see the Brexit thread) suggesting that Labour's public commitment to Brexit is a deflection, and that secretly they're planning to edge closer to the EU but Shhh! don't tell anyone in the Red Wall.

I don't believe a word of it but what an intriguing campaign slogan for Labour. Vote Labour! We don't mean a word we say!

Nothing says “there’s a man you can trust” quite like being told, “vote for him - he’s just lying to appease racists, you see!”

12 minutes ago, blackislekillie said:

Seriously?

It did indeed happen in 1996, yes.

With the substantial debt built up by the current Tory govt, a lot of it down to Truss/Kwartang as well as Sunak, I wouldn't expect the leader of the Labour Party to be talking about a 'spending spree' in the early part, but rather, being constrained by the Tory debt mountain, to find ways of working with investors to fund the Green New Deal eg, as he has suggested.