What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

13 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

I doff my cap, Mr Willie Miller's etc. Your last couple of posts have left me wanting to hear you give a speech?, preferably in the Commons..

Oh, I know...he's 'here all week' etc, and suggests that you 'try the fish', such is the repartee. 

Make no mistake about it, the Labour fight back is on [emoji257] 
In Scotland, Sarwar comes across as more competent and likeable than his predecessors.
Following the Supreme Court ruling, many now see independence as unrealistic and are coming home.
The conditions are right for a Labour revival, especially with the Tories in such turmoil.
Are you Aaron Bastani?

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Rather the point being that a 50% SNP support poll (sample 1000), was taken as gospel, while a 41% SNP/31% Lab poll (sample 1000), was dismissed by the same posters as trolling/a fantasy/clearly inaccurate-delete as appropriate. So, when it comes to polling, any which bolster the SNP case=clearly accurate, any which don't=can safely be filed in the bin.

Of course a poll with 150 respondents (if that was the number) is hardly a 'barometer' of public opinion. A sample of 1000 however is a reasonable snapshot, still naturally within quite a margin of error.

What does this even mean?  You posted a poll of 143 people (not 150) with ReformUK on 11%.

It now appears you didn’t even look at the poll before posting. Why on earth would anyone take anything you say seriously at this point? 

Apparently, the Scottish subsample (with "don't knows" removed) was only 121 voters. A rough calculation suggests that the 95% confidence interval of a sample of 121 voters representing the whole Scottish electorate is just over 8.9.

Accordingly, the true Labour vote (according to this poll) may be in the range ~22%, to ~40% and the Reform UK vote may be in the range ~2%. to ~20%. Effectively, the poll is meaningless.

(For completeness, the snp vote may be in the range ~25% to~43% by this measure)

Edited by lichtgilphead
missing ()

At the Labour business conference Rachel Reeves, the shadow chancellor, is presenting the recommendations from the party’s startup review. It was led by Jim O’Neill, the former Goldman Sachs chief economist who served as a Treasury minister in the Conservative government from 2015 to 2016 and who now sits as a crossbench peer. 

ToryLite?

Labour, you say? 

"Because we’re not just a pro-business party, we’re a party that is proud of being pro-business.”

Presumably ok with this, then 

"The government is set to announce what it describes as one of the biggest overhauls of financial regulation for more than three decades.

It is expected to loosen rules on banks introduced after the financial crisis in 2008 when some banks faced collapse."

Edited by The Skelpit Lug
Just saw the bank stuff.

3 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Labour, you say? 

"Because we’re not just a pro-business party, we’re a party that is proud of being pro-business.”

Presumably ok with this, then 

"The government is set to announce what it describes as one of the biggest overhauls of financial regulation for more than three decades.

It is expected to loosen rules on banks introduced after the financial crisis in 2008 when some banks faced collapse."

It’s widely accepted that the changes to the Glass-Steagal Act in the USA was a contributor to the crash in 2008, though there is disagreement about how major/minor.  This appears to be a similar thing.

When it all goes tits up it will be the taxpayers who will pay the price once again.

4 hours ago, Clown Job said:

You’ll what?

When I was in the gym the other day I heard a guy complaining he couldn't get an appointment at Ross Hall because they are taking too many NHS patients. We are through the looking glass. 

Wes's plan is classic neoliberalism. They don't want to create a real marketplace for private health care. It'll be like the trains and energy companies where profits are private, losses are covered by the state and the government can intervene to make sure that public anger never gets too out of hand. 

Edited by Detournement

4 hours ago, Clown Job said:

You’ll what?

From the Royal College of Surgeons website:

Of those doctors undertaking private practice, the large majority also work in NHS consultant posts, doing their private work outside of and on top of their NHS commitments. A small proportion of doctors work in full-time private practice only.

Is there actually spare capacity in the private sector, or just the same NHS doctors doing even more private work, a bit like better paid overtime.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:45, Clown Job said:

You’ll what?

Tbf, this isn't especially controversial. What is questionable is how much genuine "spare capacity" there is in the private sector considering many of the surgeons who do these elective planned operations will be the same person in the NHS and private. Nor does it address post operative care. I'm sure it would have some effect but there just isn't some enormous magical bag of capacity, stuffed full of happy nurses and doctors, waiting for Labour to unleash them on NHS waiting lists. 

Labour and Brexit.

I know, I know....

But...

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/12/09/what-keir-starmer-isnt-telling-us-about-his-plan-for-a-better-brexit/?fbclid=IwAR3vDnAts2w9TRF1sSyGxinUXnw5ieey6YJJT04S7NsLHUph3y_UVxkK0OY

Some interesting stuff here but the man suggestion, that Labour would edge closer to the EU but won't admit it and will keep putting out the MAKE BREXIT WORK mince to keep the Red Wall onside even though polls now suggest most people would support rejoining seems a little strained.

15 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Labour and Brexit.

I know, I know....

But...

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/12/09/what-keir-starmer-isnt-telling-us-about-his-plan-for-a-better-brexit/?fbclid=IwAR3vDnAts2w9TRF1sSyGxinUXnw5ieey6YJJT04S7NsLHUph3y_UVxkK0OY

Some interesting stuff here but the man suggestion, that Labour would edge closer to the EU but won't admit it and will keep putting out the MAKE BREXIT WORK mince to keep the Red Wall onside even though polls now suggest most people would support rejoining seems a little strained.

It’s a weird way for pro-EU Labour fans to try and win support: “Come on - vote for them - it’s just that they have to lie to us, you see!

Really makes you think, “Great. That Starmer - there’s a man you can trust.”

18 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Labour and Brexit.

I know, I know....

But...

In very much the same way they claim to be want to deliver massive, transformational constitutional reform, when we know these are just the same rotten magic beans they've been selling for years. 

He's totally boxed himself and the party into a corner. It's as much Labour's brexit now as it is the Tories, with all the unquestioning cult status that that brings. Clowns. 

43 minutes ago, Antlion said:

It’s a weird way for pro-EU Labour fans to try and win support: “Come on - vote for them - it’s just that they have to lie to us, you see!

Really makes you think, “Great. That Starmer - there’s a man you can trust.”

A great Labour election slogan:

”KEIR STARMER A MAN YOU KNOW YOU CANT TRUST”.

Voters should feel comforted by the certainty.

Edited by Granny Danger