What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Ian Murray in R Scotland this am, questioned about Browns speech -

He kicked off with a hilarious  "think of it as your own home" analogy - The Tories want to sell  your house, the SNP want to burn it down, but Labour want to rewire and replumb it for you" 😆.

He was asked why cant the SNP use the next GE as a "mandate for Independence" when the Labour Party is using the next GE as a mandate for huge constitutional change, including removal of the HoL which has been sitting for hundreds of years?

Obviously he blustered his way through but its a very very fair question.

This guy is my feckin MP.................. 

33 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

He kicked off with a hilarious  "think of it as your own home" analogy - The Tories want to sell  your house, the SNP want to burn it down, but Labour want to rewire and replumb it for you" 😆.

He was asked why cant the SNP use the next GE as a "mandate for Independence" when the Labour Party is using the next GE as a mandate for huge constitutional change, including removal of the HoL which has been sitting for hundreds of years?

I assume he neglected to mention that this is the house:

3CF94CFE-A89F-4285-A39E-C2B3B58269EC.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

I don't know what's going on in England. But I refuse to take seriously any Scotland poll, where reform even registers a percentage. Nobody knows who they are 

It's amazing, if you extrapolate it for Northern Ireland it's a total wipe out for the DUP, Sinn Fein, TUV and the SDLP etc etc. Seismic.  

Edited by williemillersmoustache

Just now, CambieBud said:

Angela Raynor has just announced that she supports the right to strike, but NOT if it inconveniences anyone!

Remember, she is seen as left wing in the modern Labour Party ffs

It’s astounding to think that the trade union movement still fund these charlatans.

16 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I wonder when Starmer is going to explicitly come out against legal strikes?

Forgot, he was busy lying to Scotland, English Regions and Wales

13 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Angela Raynor has just announced that she supports the right to strike, but NOT if it inconveniences anyone!

I like Rayner, but this is staggeringly illiterate.

6 minutes ago, btb said:

I see Labour have taken in more money in political donations over the last few months - meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

We won’t get fooled again.

Oh, wait…

ETA. Hopefully some older more mature posters will get that.

Edited by Granny Danger

1 hour ago, CambieBud said:

So basically, she does NOT support the right to strike. Causing an inconvenience is the whole point of striking.

There is nothing even remotely left-wing about the modern Labour Party. Being a fag paper to the left of the Tories doesn't make them left-wing.

42 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

So basically, she does NOT support the right to strike. Causing an inconvenience is the whole point of striking.

There is nothing even remotely left-wing about the modern Labour Party. Being a fag paper to the left of the Tories doesn't make them left-wing.

It makes them if anything the Tory Party of ten years ago.

3 hours ago, Juanhourjoe said:

I don't know what's going on in England. But I refuse to take seriously any Scotland poll, where reform even registers a percentage. Nobody knows who they are 

3 hours ago, HandsomeRichard said:

Completely agree.

11% is utter nonsense.  Would love to see the methodology of the poll.

To reiterate, it was a GB wide poll in which a third party twitter account pulled out the sub sample of voters who originated from Scotland and therefore was unweighted, or at least incorrectly weighted against political affiliation, age etc. And applied it as if it were a fully weighted poll of ten times the size of the actual sample (a lofty 143 folk).

So, you are talking about a sub sample which has a massive error applied to it by dint of it's tiny sample number and further fucked by the lack of correct weighting. Then said twitter account has applied a uniform swing to the previous 2019 election percentage numbers to come up with a seat map.

It is, in fact, nonsense. A full sized Scottish poll from the same pollster several days before that had SNP 41, Labour 31 (which actually isn't a great result for the SNP in of itself but on the low end of what the other pollsters are saying)

Naturally the Scottish Daily Express are running with it.

7 hours ago, Leith Green said:

A good question from a reporting scotland journalist 

I'm surprised 

5 hours ago, btb said:

I see Labour have taken in more money in political donations over the last few months than the Tories- meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I would imagine the war in Ukraine put paid to a rather generous source of funds for the Tories

11 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Oh dear. We're not friends. We don't get along. We have vastly different opinions and indeed standards but, in an effort to reach out across the divide and provide some assistance to my fellow man I will be as charitable as I can possibly be here. 

This is your Ratners moment. This is you putting your hand up at a conference and asking "have you considered Blockchain?" This is referencing Peppa Pig to the CBI. This is you volunteering to sign for the deaf at Mandelas funeral.

I have never seen a more complete admission that you don't understand how to have or care to try anything approaching a debate in good faith. A disaster of a post. A single screenshot entirely eradicating what few picogrammes of credibility you left. A complete integrity self-immolation. And may god have mercy upon your soul..

Help ma boab...although a change in tone from your normal expletive fuelled rant (which passes as 'debate') my 'Ratner's moment' is the citation of an (admittedly) small sample poll which has been widely used today in both mainstream and social media.

A single poll which had the SNP on 50% a couple of weeks ago was widely cheered on here (unsurprisingly), while any polls which show them losing support, whether a sample of 2,  140, or 1000, doesn't matter, automatically dismissed as either trolling or 'doesn't count'.

Of course the only poll which will matter is the one in 2 years time, when most on here expect a resounding SNP victory of well over 50% and Independence the next day. Time will tell.

Edited by Jedi

54 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Help ma boab...although a change in tone from your normal expletive fuelled rant (which passes as 'debate') my 'Ratner's moment' is the citation of an (admittedly) small sample poll which has been widely used today in both mainstream and social media.

A single poll which had the SNP on 50% a couple of weeks ago was widely cheered on here (unsurprisingly), while any polls which show them losing support, whether a sample of 2,  140, or 1000, doesn't matter, automatically dismissed as either trolling or 'doesn't count'.

Of course the only poll which will matter is the one in 2 years time, when most on here expect a resounding SNP victory of well over 50% and Independence the next day. Time will tell.

This cannot be a serious contribution. It has to be trolling. Nobody with your possibly very real and not at all made up political career could believe this "admittedly small sample" shit. 

It's like taking a twitter poll as evidence. You either understand this and are at it or don't and are Hugh Gaffney, or another Labour type who's one misplaced wooden shape and assessment point away from being a ward of the state.

Edited by williemillersmoustache

I doff my cap, Mr Willie Miller's etc. Your last couple of posts have left me wanting to hear you give a speech?, preferably in the Commons.

Jedi's l-o-o-n-g posts I can't get even halfway through, and it's nowt to do with his politics.

29 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

This cannot be a serious contribution. It has to be trolling. Nobody with your possibly very real and not at all made up political career could believe this "admittedly small sample" shit. 

It's like taking a twitter poll as evidence. You either understand this and are at it or don't and are Hugh Gaffney, or another Labour type who's one misplaced wooden shape and assessment point away from being a ward of the state.

Rather the point being that a 50% SNP support poll (sample 1000), was taken as gospel, while a 41% SNP/31% Lab poll (sample 1000), was dismissed by the same posters as trolling/a fantasy/clearly inaccurate-delete as appropriate. So, when it comes to polling, any which bolster the SNP case=clearly accurate, any which don't=can safely be filed in the bin.

Of course a poll with 150 respondents (if that was the number) is hardly a 'barometer' of public opinion. A sample of 1000 however is a reasonable snapshot, still naturally within quite a margin of error.