What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

I realise this is the pettiest complaint about the document, but the following rips my knitting

19. Enhanced local control: there is a strong case for pushing power as close as possible to people in Scotland, and consideration should be given to establishing new forms of local and regional leadership, such as directly elected Mayors.

Could they not use the title Provost rather than Mayor?  Using Mayor just says “we don’t give a f**k about your history, language or country”.

13 minutes ago, HandsomeRichard said:

That’s so disingenuous.

The outcome was Brexit, and there were certain fundamentals that were always going to follow.  It wasn’t just suggested or imagined, but something real, which would take place depending on the result.

The fact that some of it wouldn’t be decided ‘til after negotiations does not mean that voting Leave was a hypothetical.

Which was not guaranteed: Brexit was a hypothetical outcome which hinged entirely on the result of a vote. I’m amazed you could bring yourself to take part in that vote or imagine the “fundamentals that were always going to follow”, as you don’t do hypotheticals.

23 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

These are the same people who think it’s reasonable to have right wing think tank mouth breathers on Question Time panels.

Have the BBC ever been directly challenged on or (ha!) issued a justification of their revolving door of secretively-funded “think tank” stars? I know they’ve made up excuses as to why they promoted Farage, but I’ve never seen them justify, for example, continually platforming Kate “Don’t ask who pays me” Andrews.

8 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Have the BBC ever been directly challenged on or (ha!) issued a justification of their revolving door of secretively-funded “think tank” stars? I know they’ve made up excuses as to why they promoted Farage, but I’ve never seen them justify, for example, continually platforming Kate “Don’t ask who pays me” Andrews.

Nope, but the number of people who work for think tanks based at 55 Tufton Street, London is quite astonishing.

If a guy like me can join the dots, what does it say about them?

12 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I realise this is the pettiest complaint about the document, but the following rips my knitting

Could they not use the title Provost rather than Mayor?  Using Mayor just says “we don’t give a f**k about your history, language or country”.

The manifesto version will state Northern British Beadles.

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

Scottish busiesses thet export goods already have to have a foot in two mutually incompatible trading blocs. One is made up of England & Wales, the other is made up of the EU & northern Ireland.

This would not change after Indy.

My point is that the bulk of trade is with the former and still would be regardless of talk of rejoining the EU. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I think by the time we have Independence (and I hope it’s not too far away) the U.K. will have a far closer trading relationship with the EU than it does at present.  

I hope so, regardless of Indy.

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

You have to wonder if a benefit of Brexit in the minds of extreme UK Nats was more deeply trapping Scotland, England, Wales and NI in a protectionist, low-wage, low-rights enclave.

E97C00F1-2C9D-4931-A51F-1E9D0CB41599.jpeg

“Minds” lol.

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Take away the democratic route from people and you can’t complain if they resort to other options.

I’ve said for a while now this is what the UK establishment (of which Starmer is desperate to be seen as key) wants: they want to block every legal and democratic route to Scotland deciding on its own future in the hope that the Indy movement will disgrace itself and can be safely put in the “dangerous crackpot” bin.

See what little shit-stains like Cole-Hampton and Murdo Fraser do: provoke, goad, and shit-stir so that they can then sit back and play the victim when people react? That’s the UK’s secret weapon, on a bigger scale, for demeaning Scottish democracy.

28 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I’ve said for a while now this is what the UK establishment (of which Starmer is desperate to be seen as key) wants: they want to block every legal and democratic route to Scotland deciding on its own future in the hope that the Indy movement will disgrace itself and can be safely put in the “dangerous crackpot” bin.

See what little shit-stains like Cole-Hampton and Murdo Fraser do: provoke, goad, and shit-stir so that they can then sit back and play the victim when people react? That’s the UK’s secret weapon, on a bigger scale, for demeaning Scottish democracy.

I agree but if there was any direct action then I think people in Scotland and rUK might not adopt the position Starmer and the establishment want.  It’s quite possible that people would become less sympathetic to denying a democratic route.

It was obvious Starmer was a vacuous, charisma free, principle-less, power-hungry scumbag, but suggesting that asylum seekers should be treated like cattle and tracked with GPS is absolutely heinous and as close to the vile authoritarian populism expected of Patel and Braverman. A completely new low for a man consistently plumbing new depths.

I absolutely despise the despicable c**t.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I agree but if there was any direct action then I think people in Scotland and rUK might not adopt the position Starmer and the establishment want.  It’s quite possible that people would become less sympathetic to denying a democratic route.

It’s a gamble on the UK’s part, for sure - it could go either way, depending on the strength of feeling in Scotland and how it’s expressed. They’re banking on winding up a minority of Indy supporters into doing or saying something aggressive (or which can be portrayed as aggressive), and hoping to then blacken the whole idea Scottish independence.

The UK is of course the oppressor in the current situation (and I use that word advisedly). Its leaders are hoping for a situation in which it can become instead the victim - which will be easier if Scots don’t make an issue of Westminster denying us every single democratic route to a referendum. The UK wants to normalise denying Scotland democracy and then scream victim when any of us cry foul about it.

54 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I was going to make this very point.

The Fraser & ACH characters have it down to a tee. 

I admit that I underestimated and dismissed as tomfoolery their really quite clever tactics that would seek to paint reasonable positions to that of the scary Scargill type.

It is despicable and drowns the space that should be reserved for nuanced debate.