What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Scotland leaving the UK may well be economically detrimental for the same reasons as the Uk leaving the EU was.

rUK is almost certainly Scotland’s biggest trading partner and almost certainly would be following any independence.

It’s going to be difficult to have a foot in each of two mutually incompatible trading blocs so it would be Former UK or EU, not both, very likely.

There would necessarily be barriers to trade between rUK and Scotland that currently aren’t there that would be a deadweight cost to both economies.

That’s not to say Indy is bad, but there will be costs. 

Although the downside of remaining in the UK was increased massively by Brexit, the downside of leaving has probably increased by more.

You have to wonder if a benefit of Brexit in the minds of extreme UK Nats was more deeply trapping Scotland, England, Wales and NI in a protectionist, low-wage, low-rights enclave.

E97C00F1-2C9D-4931-A51F-1E9D0CB41599.jpeg

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It’s going to be difficult to have a foot in each of two mutually incompatible trading blocs so it would be Former UK or EU, not both, very likely.

Scottish busiesses thet export goods already have to have a foot in two mutually incompatible trading blocs. One is made up of England & Wales, the other is made up of the EU & northern Ireland.

This would not change after Indy.

4 minutes ago, Antlion said:

There was no White Paper for Brexit. There was not even a fragment of a sentence of a plan put to voters. It was all hypothetical. In fact, we were assured by the Brexiteers that we’d continue to access the Single Market (and thus by implication have free movement, though they didn’t publicise that bit).

The way I saw it was that there were always going to be long, complicated negotiations.

It wasn’t a hypothetical.

1 minute ago, HandsomeRichard said:

The way I saw it was that there were always going to be long, complicated negotiations.

The way everyone else saw it was that David Davis is a quarter short of being a halfwit and the EU would absolutely rinse the UK in any sort of negotiations. You couldn't have gotten a bookie to take a bet on the UK making a ripsnorting c**t of it. So I guess, in that way, you're right and it wasn't a hypothetical; it was either insanity, disaster capitalism designed to enrich the very few or some combination of both. 

3 minutes ago, HandsomeRichard said:

Why did you expect long complicated negotiations in the event of a remain vote, given that you claim to have voted remain?

4 minutes ago, HandsomeRichard said:

hypothetical
adjective

UK  

/ˌhaɪ.pəˈθet.ɪ.kəl/ US  

/ˌhaɪ.pəˈθet̬.ɪ.kəl/

imagined or suggested but not necessarily real or true: 
a hypothetical example/situation
“This is all very hypothetical but supposingJackie got the job, how would that affect you?”
“Our future relationship with the EU is merely hypothetical until negotiations are complete.”

11 minutes ago, HandsomeRichard said:

I never claimed such a thing.

You said that you expected "there were always going to be long, complicated negotiations" and "It wasn't a hypothetical"

Either you expected long complicated negotiations only in the hypothetical situation of a "leave" vote, or you don't understand the meaning of the word "hypothetical"

Your debating (and dotting) style is suspiciously reminiscent of Stormzy/Santan/Albus etc.

I predict you'll be gone in a matter of weeks

Edited by lichtgilphead

3 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

You said that you expected "there were always going to be long, complicated negotiations" and "It wasn't a hypothetical"

Either you expected long complicated negotiations only in the hypothetical situation of a "leave" vote, or you don't understand the meaning of the word "hypothetical"

Your debating (and dotting) style is suspiciously reminiscent of Stormzy/Santan/Albus etc.

I predict you'll be gone in a matter of weeks

Eh?  I voted leave, and expected long negotiations.

It still wasn’t a hypothetical, as I was voting for something real.

6 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I predict you'll activate one of the other 6 accounts you have ready to go in a matter of weeks

FTFY

Just seen the BBCs newsman from England standing outside Holyrood (I say "from England" - presumably, as I don't remember ever seeing him on Reporting Scotland - maybe nobody from BBC Scotland was available?) Seems to me that he was talking utter bovine excrement as he talked about Labour trying to "entrench the powers of the Scottish Parliament to prevent the UK government from chipping away at the devolution settlement..." 

How interesting. I wasn't aware that the "constitution" now allowed the Westminster Parliament to bind its successors. Jacob Rees-Mogg will do his nut. 

Nah, enough. 

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Should we read the small print this time Gordon? 

Well it’s happened, I suppose: the braindead, lying, amoral old c**t has admitted he hates Scotland and Scots as much as we hate him.

It makes it all the sweeter that his historical reputation is as a buffoonish, failed laughing-stock, and that he lacks even the fanboys who still stiffen up at the mere mention of Johnson.

And just a reminder, this disgrace of a human made up lies about sick and disabled Scottish children being denied healthcare if we voted for independence, only for the hospitals involved having to rubbish his claims. He’s utterly toxic slime, and the fact that, even after this, Labour continue to shunt his decomposing corpse out to lie to us betrays their contempt.

21 minutes ago, HandsomeRichard said:

Eh?  I voted leave, and expected long negotiations.

It still wasn’t a hypothetical, as I was voting for something real.

No you weren’t. You voted for a hypothetical: a suggested or imagined outcome based on something that hadn’t yet happened.

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

Not a single journalist pointing out the vow and we've heard this pish before 

These are the same people who think its reasonable to have right wing think tank mouth breathers on Question Time panels.

7 minutes ago, Antlion said:

No you weren’t. You voted for a hypothetical: a suggested or imagined outcome based on something that hadn’t yet happened.

That’s so disingenuous.

The outcome was Brexit, and there were certain fundamentals that were always going to follow.  It wasn’t just suggested or imagined, but something real, which would take place depending on the result.

The fact that some of it wouldn’t be decided ‘til after negotiations does not mean that voting Leave was a hypothetical.