What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Any chance of a cut and paste.  Can’t get past the paywall.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

“I’m totally astounded that Labour are changing their position on this” said absolutely no one.

We're going to abolish it. 

We're going to reform it.

We're going to consult on reforming it. 

I suppose Starmer has a point about Brown(if you believe that nothing on earth matters except putting  Keir Starmer into no.10, as Keir clearly does).  Just because Gordy had a big think and wrote it down doesn't make it party policy and why would Keir put any stumbling blocks in the way of his rise to power, like policies or principles? 

Regardless of what form or words they use to announce the 9th(?) iteration of the Broon Solution, they won't commit to it pre election. Too much like hard work, too risky to actually stand for something. Plus ca change 

Populism (definitions): In political science, populism is the idea that society is separated into two groups at odds with one another- the 'pure people' and the 'corrupt elite' 
'The true populist leader claims to represent the unified 'will of the people' He (or she) stands in opposition to an 'enemy', often embodied by the current system.

So, a de facto Ref called at the GE, in order to express the unified will of the people, in opposition to the enemy of the Westminster system, which is denying Scottish democracy.
Society separated into two groups, the pure people (who support Independence) and the corrupt elite (the Westminster governments)
Dividing different trade unions, and public sector workers into those who are 'popular' with the public (the 'pure' people, if you like), against the more 'corrupt' (those who are unpopular with the public, and during a Cost of Living crisis, 'already' have enough money, so they don't get a pay rise.
Utter bollocks, just stop it now. On to my very short ignore list you go. Tedious doesn't even start to describe you.

Ida thought a second chamber would be relatively easy to establish - same powers as current HoL, 300 members selected by PR of votes cast in Scotland, Wales, NI & English regions at GEs, simple to put in a manifesto.

Main drawback would be the people chosen would be "party hacks" - same difference really.

As I say easy to implement and you could have some sorta review after 10 years to see if it was working.

Edited by btb

18 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

We’re going to do nothing 

Who on earth could be against all the freebies, subsidised food & drink, £300 a day for signing in to an elite club? Oh, aye, right enough 

"Keir Starmer has been warned by Labour peers that he risks getting bogged down in a “constitutional quagmire” that will prevent him completing other urgent domestic reforms if he pushes ahead with plans to scrap the House of Lords in the first term of a Labour government."

Guardian.

24 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Who on earth could be against all the freebies, subsidised food & drink, £300 a day for signing in to an elite club? Oh, aye, right enough 

"Keir Starmer has been warned by Labour peers that he risks getting bogged down in a “constitutional quagmire” that will prevent him completing other urgent domestic reforms if he pushes ahead with plans to scrap the House of Lords in the first term of a Labour government."

Guardian.

OK. If he is going to struggle to abolish them in a first term, then save some cash. Cut their daily allowance to £50 per day plus travel expenses. 

9 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

OK. If he is going to struggle to abolish them in a first term, then save some cash. Cut their daily allowance to £50 per day plus travel expenses. 

Worth it just for the laughs when they all threaten to strike because who can afford to take a pay cut these days.

19 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Worth it just for the laughs when they all threaten to strike because who can afford to take a pay cut these days.

I’ve never been a scab but if the HoL went on strike I’d happily go in and do the job.  Since retiring I have occasionally drank alcohol in the afternoon so I’m suitably qualified.

Starmer is a p***k, imagine referencing the Tories and the SNP in the same paragraph, the boring tedious w**k.

Oh, and yet again zero reference to Brexit, lets see if that continues after the GE........

I will channel my inner Kevin Keegan and say I would love it if these c***s fell just short (even with the lickspittle Lib Dems MPs) and came cap in hand to the SNP.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/dec/04/the-journey-towards-a-fairer-britain-starts-now

59 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Starmer is a p***k, imagine referencing the Tories and the SNP in the same paragraph, the boring tedious w**k.

Oh, and yet again zero reference to Brexit, lets see if that continues after the GE........

I will channel my inner Kevin Keegan and say I would love it if these c***s fell just short (even with the lickspittle Lib Dems MPs) and came cap in hand to the SNP.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/dec/04/the-journey-towards-a-fairer-britain-starts-now

I have always believed that the people best placed to decide what works in Stirling, Sunderland or Swansea are the people there.

I know it's a standard thing to show off how you've heard of places outside of London, but this alliterative place name shit can f**k off in particular. 

Especially considering "the people there" in Stirling elected 8 SNP councillors, 7 Tory, 5 Labour, a Green and 2 independents. 

And Labour are putatively in charge propped up by the fucking Tories.

The man is a charlatan.