What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

3 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I am sure we could try a poll tax again!🤔

It didn’t cause many problems the last time it was introduced did it? 🤯

Maybe they could implement it in Wales a year before the rest of the UK this time! 😉

No, no... What you want is to see how it operates in a large, cosmopolitan city, as that's where most folk live. Personally, I'd recommend London. 

8 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

No, no... What you want is to see how it operates in a large, cosmopolitan city, as that's where most folk live. Personally, I'd recommend London. 

I was living in London in the late 80s when it was introduced there. 
Many people I knew living in multi room bedsit type accommodation never bothered registering for it and also didn’t bother to register to vote either. 
In a few cases I knew the landlords put their tenants names forward and ‘community charge’ bills arrived in the post.

I ended up living in the Wandsworth area as it had one of the lowest rates in The Smoke. The fact the Youngs Brewery was also there had no bearing on my decision whatsoever! 

Two cheeks of the same arse. You would think their strategists (I know, I know) would at least have the sense to not float identical policies as the blue cheek simultaneously.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Two cheeks of the same arse. You would think their strategists (I know, I know) would at least have the sense to not float identical policies as the blue cheek simultaneously.

Au contraire, what better time to appeal to Tory/disaffected Tory voters because this is who it’s aimed at.

Starmer will win the next next GE simply because the Tories have fucked it up so badly there’s no way back for them.  However if this where normal times a strategy of trying to simply mirror your opponents would be a huge strategic mistake; the number of voters you win over is dwarfed by your on supporters who don’t turn out.

As Tony Benn once said, “If you offer the people the choice between two Tory Parties don’t be surprised if they vote for the real one.”

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Jesus wept. Dreadful idea.

There are about 3 million national insurance numbers in the system not attached to actual people. ID cards will only enrich fraudsters.

I've felt for a while that the Tories will contrive to lose an election as it will suit them to be out of power for a couple of years as the UK(RIP) becomes Uzbekistan Jr, but it now looks as if Labour are determined to deny them that opportunity. One can only assume that they're deliberately sabotaging their chances, they can't be this fucking useless by chance, surely?

Edited by Bad Wolf

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Time for "Labour" to be placed in " " when being discussed surely....

I grudgingly accepted c. 1988 or so that Labour had to modernise somewhat, but Stephen's dad went too far. And now we're in TNG of gobby MOR nonentities. 

Richard Littlejohn having a normal one in the Daily Heil.

Blue Labour is bad enough. True Labour would be ten times worse. Imagine what terrible havoc would be created by a woke Labour Government containing the likes of David Lammy, Angela Rayner and led by a human rights lawyer who refuses even to say whether or not a woman can possess a penis.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Richard Littlejohn having a normal one in the Daily Heil.

Terrible havoc indeed.  Thank goodness we now have a steady hand on the till.  Well hopefully steady.  Can't be worse than the previous one, or the one before that, or the one before that, or the one before that.  I think.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

ABOLISH, at the top of the article.

REFORM, in the middle.

THERE WILL BE A CONSULTATION, by the end.

I'll believe it when I see it.

He’ll maybe get it done in his second term.*

* Please note that this is an example of sarcasm.  Or maybe irony.  Or possibly both.

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

ABOLISH, at the top of the article.

REFORM, in the middle.

THERE WILL BE A CONSULTATION, by the end.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Weird. That Jedi chap said it was definitely going to happen during one of many recitals of a pretend Laeburr manifesto.