What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

1 minute ago, jakedee said:

If they continue on their current trajectory then yes I agree. After independence even the Tory's may change direction and become acceptable to some.
They'd have to drop the toxic name though.

And the toxic people. Same with Labour. Hopefully independence would spell the end of the careers of talentless troughers like Baillie, Ross, et al. Proper left and right wing alternatives would both be needed in Scotland and could well do without (what would be by then) the puppets of Scotland’s old ruling powers, who’d fought tooth and nail to keep the country dominionised.

The funniest thing about these polls it's not because of anything labour have promised to do it's because the Tories are so bad after Johnson,that's how bad labour are viewed by most of the public...truss/kwasi have basically increased most people's bills etc for the red wall types to revert back 

On 29/09/2022 at 18:15, Granny Danger said:

It says a lot for the SNP that they support PR for Westminster despite knowing that they will be one of the biggest casualties.

They won't though.  There is far more chance that they could hold the balance of power with less MPs.  The only thing that would hurt would be the SNP party income.

39 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Surely at the very minimum they’d need to rebrand as they couldn’t be the Conservative and Unionist party anymore if they want to be taken seriously and not some fringe group in tears about not being British anymore 

The Horrible c***s Party?

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Surely at the very minimum they’d need to rebrand as they couldn’t be the Conservative and Unionist party anymore if they want to be taken seriously and not some fringe group in tears about not being British anymore 

Remember Turdo tried that in Scotland and it went down so well with the rank and file they elected a gay woman instead. 

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Scotland has rejected Tory values for half a century and that gives me hope that whatever emerges will be more progressive and accountable, careerists not withstanding.

Accountable, certainly. Progressive, probably not.

Devolution has given us a parliament that essentially decides how to spend money and doesn't need to think too much about how to raise it. This has meant Scotland has elected left leaning governments since devolution. 

As soon as control over benefits/ pensions/ VAT are decided at Holyrood I suspect Scotland might just decide to vote for right leaning parties.

55 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Accountable, certainly. Progressive, probably not.

Devolution has given us a parliament that essentially decides how to spend money and doesn't need to think too much about how to raise it. This has meant Scotland has elected left leaning governments since devolution. 

As soon as control over benefits/ pensions/ VAT are decided at Holyrood I suspect Scotland might just decide to vote for right leaning parties.

Based on what?

I think that, much like the SNP, there's a significant number of voters in Scotland who vote Tory as a means to an end regarding the independence issue. They are the 'No' party. Labour have tried to get in on that by shrieking and tearfully moaning about the big bad SNP at every opportunity, but most No voters don't see them as a viable option in opposing democracy and being the voice of the 'No' movement should a referendum happen.

From my perspective, and that of a fair few posters living in England, the point of Labour is to escape the worst excesses of the demented fuckers currently in power.  We don't have the option of a vote for the SNP that many would clearly prefer. So, until a Labour Government is returned, we are all collectively chained to a madman (or madwoman).  Being chained to a Starmer Government would still involve shackles and restraints - but without the psychotic episodes.

Marina Hyde (below) uses an interesting analogy for a future Labour election strategy; it doesn't have to be enterprising and bold - it just has to look and act like an improvement on the Tories.

"For instance, I do feel that both Theresa May’s risk-adverse approach to her calamitous 2017 general election campaign is best understood when you think that José Mourinho once advanced to the Champions League final after a game in which his side had had only 19% possession. The football writer Diego Torres once codified Mourinho’s style, concluding: “Whoever has the ball has fear. Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger.” (I fear this could also describe what I’ll call Starmerball.)"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/01/marina-hyde-on-six-years-of-political-chaos-brexit-boris-trump-truss

I see the much heralded "public energy company" is not actually going to be involved in either supply or generation or energy. It's basically just a fund to hand subsidies to whichever private projects they think are worth investing in :lol:

Edited by Dunning1874

I see the new Labour line seems to be that then winning a UK GE would be disastrous for the SNP and Scottish independence 

Without explaining why exactly 

They’ve still not gotten over Scottish voters giving them the boot at a Scottish and UK level 

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

I see the new Labour line seems to be that then winning a UK GE would be disastrous for the SNP and Scottish independence 

Without explaining why exactly 

They’ve still not gotten over Scottish voters giving them the boot at a Scottish and UK level 

The entitlement of them is mental. They're still being pissy wee babies that the Scottish people had the gall to not vote for them, despite them constantly slagging off the Scottish people and behaving in a scumbag way.

Bunch of c***s.

House of Lords reform or whatever they have announced this time is a 2nd term thing already according to reports Along with the "we might" introduce Pr but we talked about it at Liverpool already being rolled back 🤣Shower of charlatans 

On 01/10/2022 at 07:56, Granny Danger said:

Based on what?

Its a hunch which I explained in my post. The 'i'm voting SNP til I get my preferred constiitutional outcome' lads can have pretty right wing views that might make the average English Tory blush- think John Mason.

Tories + right leaning brexit voting SNP supporters is quite a substantial proportion of the voting public. Maybe less than half but that could change dependent on circumstances.

Do you know any SNP supporters that voted Leave? 

Edited by sparky88

Its a hunch which I explained in my post. The 'i'm voting SNP til I get my preferred constiitutional outcome' lads can have pretty right wing views that might make the average English Tory blush- think John Mason.
Tories + right leaning brexit voting SNP supporters is quite a substantial proportion of the voting public. Maybe less than half but that could change dependent on circumstances.
He lives in Lanzarote.

The pro brexit vote in Scotland was 36% now according to polls would be less. I think your "substantial proportion" may be less than you make out.