What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

What's it called? Presumably Andrew Wilson's low tax, light regulation, 'Singapore on the Forth' reduction of public spending, big business friendly, and  and a growth target of 0.5% Independence plan, which the SNP are so keen to see implemented.

If you are still classing the Labour policies listed above as 'right wing' I genuinely don't know where to go with that. Disagree with them, of course, but 'right wing'.

Edited by Jedi

43 minutes ago, Jedi said:

What's it called? Presumably Andrew Wilson's low tax, light regulation, 'Singapore on the Forth' reduction of public spending, big business friendly, and  and a growth target of 0.5% Independence plan, which the SNP are so keen to see implemented.

If you are still classing the Labour policies listed above as 'right wing' I genuinely don't know where to go with that. Disagree with them, of course, but 'right wing'.

That’s twice you’ve mentioned this.  Is this SNP policy you’re referring too?

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Anyone who thinks Labour under Starmer are left of centre is a fucking puddle drinking simpleton.

They are a reactionary Britnat flag shagging bunch of opportunists without a fucking ounce of fucking principle in their bones.

Every word true, yet whilst we are still tethered to the UK I’d rather have Labour in charge than the Tories.

That said the next Labour government will be a single term one.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Every word true, yet whilst we are still tethered to the UK I’d rather have Labour in charge than the Tories.

That said the next Labour government will be a single term one.

Not if Cumming's wishes are granted.

No, 'human handgrenade' wasn't a 'compliment' because 'she got things done' NB. this is our chance to plough the Tories into the earth with salt so they never recover & are REPLACED https://dominiccummings.substack.com/p/snippets-6-t

Edited by ICTJohnboy

For many years I was against PR and in favour of FPTP. This has changed in recent years as we saw more and more Tory governments elected with less and less of the vote.

Time for a change. If we get PR in at Westminster, we force the Tories either out completely, or into coalition with some left-ish parties. No more hard-right Truss bollocks.

It saddens me that there is still a hard core inside Labour who will bet everything on a Labour government with a majority. I am 43. I have spent 30 years of my life under the Tories. If we get PR, then the Tories will need to change or die.

A few nuggets that show FPTP isn't great (if selling it to middle England):

In 2015, the SNP got 56 seats with 1.4 million votes. UKIP (yes, I know) got 0 seats with 3.9 million votes. 

In 2005, Labour won 55% of the seats with 35% of the vote.

The arguments for FPTP have fallen down since 2010 also. We have had 2 minority or coalition governments in that time.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

For many years I was against PR and in favour of FPTP. This has changed in recent years as we saw more and more Tory governments elected with less and less of the vote.

Time for a change. If we get PR in at Westminster, we force the Tories either out completely, or into coalition with some left-ish parties. No more hard-right Truss bollocks.

It saddens me that there is still a hard core inside Labour who will bet everything on a Labour government with a majority. I am 43. I have spent 30 years of my life under the Tories. If we get PR, then the Tories will need to change or die.

A few nuggets that show FPTP isn't great (if selling it to middle England):

In 2015, the SNP got 56 seats with 1.4 million votes. UKIP (yes, I know) got 0 seats with 3.9 million votes. 

In 2005, Labour won 55% of the seats with 35% of the vote.

The arguments for FPTP have fallen down since 2010 also. We have had 2 minority or coalition governments in that time.

It says a lot for the SNP that they support PR for Westminster despite knowing that they will be one of the biggest casualties.

As a puddle drinking simpleton, I'm still waiting to discover which of taxing the rich more, nationalising railways, setting up a publicly owned Energy company, going after business fraud, ending charity status of private schools, and charging them VAT, rolling out breakfast clubs for all Primary Schools, slapping a tax on multinational energy profits is right wing.

But hey, they had a Union Jack on the platform, so they must be.

One interesting opinion poll giving Labour a 33% lead today (Lab 54%, Con 21%). Clearly its never going to be that big a win, but, of course we wouldn't notice any difference between them and the Tories in power.

13 minutes ago, Jedi said:

As a puddle drinking simpleton, I'm still waiting to discover which of taxing the rich more, nationalising railways, setting up a publicly owned Energy company, going after business fraud, ending charity status of private schools, and charging them VAT, rolling out breakfast clubs for all Primary Schools, slapping a tax on multinational energy profits is right wing.

One interesting opinion poll giving Labour a 33% lead today (Lab 54%, Con 21%). Clearly its never going to be that big a win, but, of course we wouldn't notice any difference between them and the Tories in power.

I agree with that…

…we’ll the first five words.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Have you considered the possibility that once in power Labour may in fact do none of these things?

Keir Starmer has a 100% record of abandoning campaign pledges. This is absolutely a problem for convincing anyone that a Labour Party led by him will stick to manifesto commitments.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

Sarwar said today that they would start a publicly owned electricity generating company.

How do you suggest that is going to work?

24 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Have you considered the possibility that once in power Labour may in fact do none of these things?

Keir Starmer has a 100% record of abandoning campaign pledges. This is absolutely a problem for convincing anyone that a Labour Party led by him will stick to manifesto commitments.

Apart from the ultra Brexit, the flagshagging and the rabid hatred of immigrants. The Tory c**t will keep them alright. 

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I'm an independent Scotland I won't have to cross my fingers that once in a generation English voters might want some of these things.

I know this because the SNP have delivered or are going to legislate for all of the above where Holyrood have the powers to do so.

Yes, I would imagine that once Andrew Wilson and his gang of ultra free-marketeers, get their hands on the Scottish economy, and bring in their swinging fiscal restraints (ie take an axe to the public sector), low tax, big business, model that we will see 'left wing' policies enacted. (Kate Forbes will be able to repeat her mantra about 'encouraging entrepreneurship and multinational investment though). Still after 10 years (by Wilson's own admission), they might be able to loosen the purse strings a bit.....that is if they choose to remove control of interest rates and monetary policy from the Bank of England.

And as for flegs....any appearance of a Union Jack...bad, multitude of saltires...good.

Edited by Jedi

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yes, I would imagine that once Andrew Wilson and his gang of ultra free-marketeers, get their hands on the Scottish economy, and bring in their swinging fiscal restraints (ie take an axe to the public sector), low tax, big business, model that we will see 'left wing' policies enacted. (Kate Forbes will be able to repeat her mantra about 'encouraging entrepreneurship and multinational investment though). Still after 10 years (by Wilson's own admission), they might be able to loosen the purse strings a bit.....that is if they choose to remove control of interest rates and monetary policy from the Bank of England.

And as for flegs....any appearance of a Union Jack...bad, multitude of saltires...good.

I'll take my chances.

Fair enough. Am glad to see an admission of a low tax (for those on high incomes as well), light touch regulation, keeping public spending on the Health Service, Education, Social Services, Transport etc as low as possible, (reducing it by at least 4% over a decade) handing contracts to multinationals, gearing up for a decade of all while allowing another country to continue setting interest rates, as well as estimating a 25 year period to match the economic performance of other small nations economic performance, is the desired alternative to the present situation.