What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

22 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Only a fool would look at the policies of the SNP and those of the Labour Party and decide we were the regressive ones. 

Like the Andrew Wilson neoliberal 'dream' for Independence, designed to pair back public services to the bone, leaving monetary control in the hands of the Bank of England, and keeping the markets happy with a 0.5% growth rate target (which would make George Osbourne blush), or the Spectator hailing Kate Forbes as the 'McMilton Friedman of Scottish nationalism', due to the aim of cutting 30-40,000 public sector jobs, or perhaps the Scot Gov telling public sector workers to only ask for ;sensible' pay rises, (after rail workers rejected 2.2%)or maybe even handing multinational energy giants, Shell and BP 20% of ScotWind (the other big investor being TotalEnergies to build wind farms off our coasts, at a cost of £700 million paid by the Scot govt, enabling Shell, BP,, TotalEnergies to rake in £5 billion of profits (which won't be 'reinvested' in Scotland, as they have their foreign shareholders to consider. 

Is it that 'radical' SNP you mean?

Edited by Jedi

Heard a clip of Anas Sarwar earlier saying some pish about the clock ticking for those in Bute House as well as some nonsense about taking back Westminster powered by Scotland.

What a loathsome little arsehole of a man. Wee Tory lite p***k.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Where Labour go doesn't matter. They had 5 years of Corbyn, and it didn't help one bit in Scotland. All this talk is to soothe the English swing voters who will soon be bombarded with "coalition of chaos" stories in the press.

It’s astounding that the Tories and their media pals would think this - an unveiled attack on Scotland having any say in the UK government - would work in light of the years of historically unprecedented Tory-led chaos.

It’s even more astounding that they’d be right: the same voters who put the Tories in a position to disembowel the UK on an unprecedented scale would fall for it hook, line, and sinker - again. 

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

It’s astounding that the Tories and their media pals would think this - an unveiled attack on Scotland having any say in the UK government - would work in light of the years of historically unprecedented Tory-led chaos.

It’s even more astounding that they’d be right: the same voters who put the Tories in a position to disembowel the UK on an unprecedented scale would fall for it hook, line, and sinker - again. 

This is spot on. Sir man of the people ,wrapped in his new Brexit clothes, waving a union flag while singing God Save The King, won’t work with the party with nearly every seat in Scotland! Thereby denying democracy to an entire nation. My loathing for Starmer is on a par with Gove, Patel, Truss etc

2 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

This is spot on. Sir man of the people ,wrapped in his new Brexit clothes, waving a union flag while singing God Save The King, won’t work with the party with nearly every seat in Scotland! Thereby denying democracy to an entire nation. My loathing for Starmer is on a par with Gove, Patel, Truss etc

Starmer isn’t worth loathing. He’s nothing. It seems likely he’ll remain nothing. The electorate of the UK has made clear that when it wants nationalism, it goes for the full-blooded, aristocrat-worshipping, knee-bending, foreigner-hating, underclass-whipping, flag-shagging variety.

The truth is that the Tories have got the art of cosplaying as John Bull (whilst shamelessly gutting the UK to line their own pockets) down to a fine art. Starmer fails even at this. His best efforts to shag a flag result in him crying in bed next to it,  flapping at his limp member and swearing, “seriously, this never happens, babe.”

37 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Like the Andrew Wilson neoliberal 'dream' for Independence, designed to pair back public services to the bone, leaving monetary control in the hands of the Bank of England, and keeping the markets happy with a 0.5% growth rate target (which would make George Osbourne blush), or the Spectator hailing Kate Forbes as the 'McMilton Friedman of Scottish nationalism', due to the aim of cutting 30-40,000 public sector jobs, or perhaps the Scot Gov telling public sector workers to only ask for ;sensible' pay rises, (after rail workers rejected 2.2%)or maybe even handing multinational energy giants, Shell and BP 20% of ScotWind (the other big investor being TotalEnergies to build wind farms off our coasts, at a cost of £700 million paid by the Scot govt, enabling Shell, BP,, TotalEnergies to rake in £5 billion of profits (which won't be 'reinvested' in Scotland, as they have their foreign shareholders to consider. 

Care to explain where you get your figures?

What £700m paid by Scot govt?

£5bn profits in what timescale?

Will be interesting to see your explanation of these.

20 minutes ago, Jedi said:

OK Mr cut and paste.  All those articles are indeed referring to the ScotWind licencing round but you refer to the Scottish Government paying £700m - that doesnt make any sense to me.

Didnt bother clicking on all of your links but the first few made no reference to BP, Shell and TOTAL Energies making £5bn profits (is that collectively or individually....and over what timescale)

44 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

to build wind farms off our coasts, at a cost of £700 million paid by the Scot govt

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I never used the word ‘radical’ so I’m not quite sure why you’re suggesting I did.

I’m looking at the implemented policies of the SNP which I would argue are more progressive than those Labour are proposing.

FWIW if the god botherer was ever made FM I’d probably resign my membership.

34 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

OK Mr cut and paste.  All those articles are indeed referring to the ScotWind licencing round but you refer to the Scottish Government paying £700m - that doesnt make any sense to me.

Didnt bother clicking on all of your links but the first few made no reference to BP, Shell and TOTAL Energies making £5bn profits (is that collectively or individually....and over what timescale)

You asked for sources...so not sure how that is simply 'cutting and pasting'. Of course, £5 billion energy profits (for the companies) will be over a period of time, nobody has suggested otherwise (the last source which you didn't reach references this). Every report...(these are just a selection) there are many more refers to the Scottish govt paying £700 million of public money to the energy giants, to grant them the wind farm projects off the north coast. I assume that you are comfortable with BP, Shell et al, making profits from such ventures, with that money not being re-invested into the Scottish economy. What is the point of the Scottish Investment Bank much trumpeted by the govt, if not to ensure that publically owned companies get the tender and start ups for such large projects rather than multinationals?

Do you need references for Andrew Wilson's Growth Commission Report or have you read that?

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I never used the word ‘radical’ so I’m not quite sure why you’re suggesting I did.

I’m looking at the implemented policies of the SNP which I would argue are more progressive than those Labour are proposing.

FWIW if the god botherer was ever made FM I’d probably resign my membership.

Can you list the progressive policies....(and please exclude prescription charges, baby boxes, and scrapping car parking charges at hospitals).

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

You asked for sources...so not sure how that is simply 'cutting and pasting'. Of course, £5 billion energy profits (for the companies) will be over a period of time, nobody has suggested otherwise (the last source which you didn't reach references this). Every report...(these are just a selection) there are many more refers to the Scottish govt paying £700 million of public money to the energy giants, to grant them the wind farm projects off the north coast. I assume that you are comfortable with BP, Shell et al, making profits from such ventures, with that money not being re-invested into the Scottish economy. What is the point of the Scottish Investment Bank much trumpeted by the govt, if not to ensure that publically owned companies get the tender and start ups for such large projects rather than multinationals?

Do you need references for Andrew Wilson's Growth Commission Report or have you read that?

If you dont understand the ScotWind licencing process you can just admit it rather than copy links to articles which you havent read yourself as they state the opposite to what you claim above.

All of the aforementioned offshore wind developers have submitted Supply Chain plans which will result in significant investment in Scottish infrastructure and use of Scottish supply chain companies.  You mention BP, who have set aside (with partners SPR) £25m per development for supply chain development alone. TOTAL Energies, another you mention, have commited £140m to early local supply chain investment.  Here is the link https://totalenergies.com/media/news/press-releases/scotland-totalenergies-and-scotwind-partners-commit-local-industrial  (incidentally,  I was in the room when their CEO Patrick Puyanne made that announcement and that they would join BP in locating their global offshore wind HQ's in Aberdeen)

16 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

If you dont understand the ScotWind licencing process you can just admit it rather than copy links to articles which you havent read yourself as they state the opposite to what you claim above.

All of the aforementioned offshore wind developers have submitted Supply Chain plans which will result in significant investment in Scottish infrastructure and use of Scottish supply chain companies.  You mention BP, who have set aside (with partners SPR) £25m per development for supply chain development alone. TOTAL Energies, another you mention, have commited £140m to early local supply chain investment.  Here is the link https://totalenergies.com/media/news/press-releases/scotland-totalenergies-and-scotwind-partners-commit-local-industrial  (incidentally,  I was in the room when their CEO Patrick Puyanne made that announcement and that they would join BP in locating their global offshore wind HQ's in Aberdeen)

Nice bit of both copying and pasting, and whataboutery/'I was there' though.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What have the Romans done for us?

How did the SNP pay for those pledges? With stealth cuts. They literally cut funds for tutoring sick kids in Yorkhill Children's Hospital. Don't ask me for a link to an article. I only had a close family member in there and the staff told me directly. Meanwhile our public services are falling apart. The so called progressive policies (free prescriptions for millionaires) are nothing more than cynical bribes for votes.

You know we can vote out the SNP pretty easily in Scotland and with the way the Scottish Parliament is designed any single party getting a majority is very difficult

Whereas in Westminster all you need to do is win England to control the UK, you don’t need the Scots, Welsh or NI to back you for power 

Interesting stuff coming out from Sarwar.

He bangs on about the politics of us versus them and the politics of division when discussing the SNP, apparently ignoring the pretty obvious point that he is indulging in exactly the same approach to the decades old politics of right v left, boss v worker and public v private sector so beloved of Labour and the Tories. 

Unless of course he is in some way suggesting that in his view Labour aren't fundamentally opposed to the Tories - no us versus them and no politics of division for him - and you can't slip a piece of paper between the Labour and Tory parties and their attitudes to Scotland. No, surely not. 

3 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

How did the SNP pay for those pledges? With stealth cuts. They literally cut funds for tutoring sick kids in Yorkhill Children's Hospital. Don't ask me for a link to an article. I only had a close family member in there and the staff told me directly. 

Lies then. Cool.

Off you pop.