What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

9 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Listening to Angela Rayner on some podcast telling us how whether people would be able to eat or heat themselves this winter "suddenly paled into insignificance" when she was handed a note saying "the Queen was unwell." 

I know it's unfair but to hear that accent just bow and scrape and lick the shite covered heels of aristocracy and privilege at direct cost to actual people, rips my knitting. Mental. 

I see she also supports FPTP

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

PR again it momentum.  Labour really needs to take note.

such a move would remove the possibility of another far-right Johnson/Truss style government.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/sep/22/majority-of-uk-public-agree-with-liberal-views-on-race-and-sexual-identity-annual-poll

Support for change in the UK voting system?
There was majority public support for the introduction of a proportional representation system for voting MPs into the House of Commons for the first time since the survey began in 1983. Just over half (51%) favoured reform, up from 27% in 2011). While a majority of Labour voters supported PR (61%) only 29% of conservatives favoured electoral reform.

Tory voters will be strongly in favour of some form of PR after they get destroyed in the 2024 General Election.  I thought FPTP was a superb system after the 1997 election - and I'm fairly confident you did too.

22 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Tory voters will be strongly in favour of some form of PR after they get destroyed in the 2024 General Election.  I thought FPTP was a superb system after the 1997 election - and I'm fairly confident you did too.

I can't imagine the Conservatives ever being in favour of PR. Putting aside that they're the party of resistance to change (when it suits them), no matter how hard they get shafted at an election, history indicates they're only a few years away from another long stretch in complete control.

They don't even have to worry about having dynamic, powerful leaders anymore. Since the hilarious run of William Hague, Iain Duncan Smith, and Michael Howard, we've had Cameron, May, Johnson, and now the new nadir of Liz Truss. It appears that Britain has just decided to accept them being ineffectual in the desperate scramble for loose change from the top table.

56 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

No and no.

Just because a system may be beneficial at times that’s not a reason to support it.

The SNP support PR at Westminster despite the fact that they would lose have their representation.

17 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Most of that sounds pretty decent. Whether they actually do it, if they get elected, would be the issue.

Well they never have before, despite promising House of Lords abolition for over a hundred years. But I’m sure they mean it this time. I mean, Gordon Brown - there’s a man you can trust.

8612E7CA-78AB-4A65-812F-9C5E1AE5B2AA.jpeg

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

PR again it momentum.  Labour really needs to take note.

such a move would remove the possibility of another far-right Johnson/Truss style government.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/sep/22/majority-of-uk-public-agree-with-liberal-views-on-race-and-sexual-identity-annual-poll

Some people in the Labour Party think FPTP is the only way they can ever win a whopping majority and implement their radical agenda.

Unfortunately they have to avoid being radical to ensure they win and in any case the next Tory majority government can simply undo all of it.

Corbyn was perceived as hard left.  If he won, maybe we would supposedly only be friends with Venezuela and Cuba and no one else!   Now we have a Tory leader who is not sure about being friends with France and wants to leave the ECHR.  I would describe that as hard right.

7 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Some people in the Labour Party think FPTP is the only way they can ever win a whopping majority and implement their radical agenda.

Unfortunately they have to avoid being radical to ensure they win and in any case the next Tory majority government can simply undo all of it.

Corbyn was perceived as hard left.  If he won, maybe we would supposedly only be friends with Venezuela and Cuba and no one else!   Now we have a Tory leader who is not sure about being friends with France and wants to leave the ECHR.  I would describe that as hard right.

I agree with all that.  PR is not a panacea but I think it would be the most far reaching political change in a long time.  Sadly other European countries are demonstrating that even with PR there can be right wing coalitions and influences but it’s better than an 80+ seat majority with 43% of the vote.

Scottish Independence still the priority mind you.