What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

35 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

What a complete moron.

Even if he gets cleared their is a the Durham PCC is a Labour member. So their is the next line of attack

CORRUPT KEIR LET OFF BY HIS MATE

The use of that attack would undermine the very existence of PCCs.

16 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Keir just gained a lot more respect from me after that and I think he will have left an impression on others too. I don’t think he’ll get fined. If he did get fined and he resigns as he’s pledged, I think a lot of the British public would appreciate that. A lot of people see all politicians as liars and dishonest “they’re all the same etc.” Despite the majority being utter morons, I believe the British public would recognise this as an act of honour and would appreciate that. It would be a massive blow for Labour but the repercussions for Johnson and the Tory’s could be more severe further down the line. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

Win win (even if Starmer fined) for Labour as clear water between them and Tories based on honesty. I think Labour might well have won the 2024 election today. 

Starmer must be certain he won't be fined. Hodges, Harwood and others calling for his resignation for the last month are too hence their backpedalling. 

6 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Win win (even if Starmer fined) for Labour as clear water between them and Tories based on honesty. I think Labour might well have won the 2024 election today. 

Starmer must be certain he won't be fined. Hodges, Harwood and others calling for his resignation for the last month are too hence their backpedalling. 

The assumption here is that this matters. People already know Johnson is dishonest. It’s become a running joke how dishonest he is, how he’s been sacked from every post he’s ever held for lying, etc. Labour/Starmer are already widely accepted as “more honest”, and it hasn’t been doing them that much good. Starmer/Labour might win a moral victory in this situation, but it’s like proving Norman Borlaug saved more lives than Fred West - no one’s claiming auld Fred saved any in the first place.

13 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

The use of that attack would undermine the very existence of PCCs.

You think anyone doing the attacking cares about the sanctity of Police and Crime Commissioners

5 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

He's already been caught out lying about whether Rayner was there and also whether the gathering was preplanned, so I don't think the honest man of integrity line is going to work.

Aye. The lies here are stacking up. And even if he isn't fined the attacks won't stop. Dominic Cummings wasn't fined. Yet his lockdown breaches didn't go away.

13 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

He's already been caught out lying about whether Rayner was there and also whether the gathering was preplanned, so I don't think the honest man of integrity line is going to work.

Did he? The line being put out is a press spokesperson got it wrong and it was instantly corrected by Rayner.

Edited by welshbairn

He's doing exactly what Blair did in the cash for honours scandal.

The police don't want to get visibly involved in politics so Blair knew that they would back down from removing a PM with a huge electoral mandate. Starmer is making the same calculation despite the fact he has very little popularity but he's probably had a nod from his old mates at the CPS.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

What a complete moron.

Even if he gets cleared their is a the Durham PCC is a Labour member. So their is the next line of attack

CORRUPT KEIR LET OFF BY HIS MATE

The PCC will surely have to recuse herself from this and also get the number off Sturgeon for the Winston Wolf type fixer that makes any embarassing minutes or documents magically disappear.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Did he? The line being put out is a press spokesperson got it wrong and it was instantly corrected by Rayner.

I'm sure the Tories and the press will put out a correction any minute now.

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No. They didn't admit Rayner was there until months later and confronted with direct photo evidence by the Mail.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-admits-rayner-beergate-event-104357823.html

Edit: i might not be right about the timing but I have heard it repeated on Sky News in an interview with Wes Streeting (c**t)

Further edit: it seems the Mail asked about Rayner and her attendance was denied in January and the Mail held onto the denial to publish later because they knew it was a lie.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

6 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

No. They didn't admit Rayner was there until months later and confronted with direct photo evidence by the Mail.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-admits-rayner-beergate-event-104357823.html

Edit: i might not be right about the timing but I have heard it repeated on Sky News in an interview with Wes Streeting (c**t)

I'm not doubting you mate, but if Streeting said Jim Duffy was baldy I'd be digging out my old Panini albums to check. 

1 hour ago, Paco said:

It’s a clever move from Starmer to be honest. If he was fined he’d have had to resign anyway.

I still genuinely don’t see the fuss with ‘beergate’. The entire room could’ve went to a restaurant and had the same curry and pint, what’s the issue with doing the same thing in a hotel? It doesn’t equate to June 2020 when everything was shut and you were allowed to meet one other person, outdoors, at a distance.

If he’s cleared, he has the moral high ground. If he’s given a FPN and resigns, Labour have the moral high ground and can retain it if they don’t fumble the new leader (issue here, granted). The shitey middle ground is the police say he probably did break the rules but they don’t retrospectively fine people, and I think that’s probably where we’ll land.

It's kind of depressing how this fucking obvious diversion by Tory HQ has landed so convincingly and how this is now the top news item in the country.

Everyone is discussing whether or not a guy should be fined for having a beer in his house and not talking about the Prime Minister holding a load of fucking parties that he lied about happening at first, and attending them second, and being fined for it already. Nor is anyone talking about the chancellor of the exchequer and his Mrs playing fast and loose with tax laws while in office. Not talking about the Tories getting totally humped in the council elections, the billions of taxpayer money they're writing off in dodgy covid grants, etc etc etc.

c***s.

It shows how attached Starmer is to his political project that he would willingly throw the entire thing away if someone in the CPS decides that his aides made an arse of organising a work schedule two fucking years ago. 

The fact that the 90 minute curry and beers was the final event of the day surely means they broke the rules?

12 minutes ago, GiGi said:

It's kind of depressing how this fucking obvious diversion by Tory HQ has landed so convincingly and how this is now the top news item in the country.

Everyone is discussing whether or not a guy should be fined for having a beer in his house and not talking about the Prime Minister holding a load of fucking parties that he lied about happening at first, and attending them second, and being fined for it already. Nor is anyone talking about the chancellor of the exchequer and his Mrs playing fast and loose with tax laws while in office. Not talking about the Tories getting totally humped in the council elections, the billions of taxpayer money they're writing off in dodgy covid grants, etc etc etc.

c***s.

Millions of people have been talking about that for months. The Tories don't care because they are a real political party with actual goals and know that whatever they are offering their voters in terms of tax cuts or racism will outweigh a few bottles of wine being drank four years prior to the election.

All the labour types that were  promoting the press attacks about Corbyn can't believe how easy it has been to destroy Sir Keir .This finishes with his resignation the attack dogs are off the leash 

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It shows how attached Starmer is to his political project that he would willingly throw the entire thing away if someone in the CPS decides that his aides made an arse of organising a work schedule two fucking years ago. 

The fact that the 90 minute curry and beers was the final event of the day surely means they broke the rules?

They're saying they always had a meeting after the end of the schedule to fine tune plans for the next day. It will be interesting if he refuses a fixed penalty notice and takes it to court, will he stand down temporarily until the verdict or resign immediately?

The only thing that annoys me about this whole situation is how now some can frame the alledged breaches as an equivalent scenario...

Boris is the one that continously mislead parliament and let's not forget the massive difference being he's the moron that actually set the rules that he broke himself. I don't actually think every politican that may have broken any rules should automatically resign but I think there's no solid argument that the PM shouldn't be held to a higher standard either way.