What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

26 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Sky press preview saying that "the rebels" have met and some of tem are considering releasing texts and/or recordings from Tory whips in relation to the "blackmailing" allegations. 

Drip, drip, drip..... 

mother of all Parliaments eh?

On 19/01/2022 at 13:58, NotThePars said:

Actual Tories are welcome in the Labour Party but not Jeremy Corbyn or Ken Loach. Make sure you give your backing though and STFU.

And surprise, sur-fucking-prise, years too fucking late..

I would dearly love to see Ken, in particular stand against that UJ mask-wearing turncoat in the next election - one lost "Labour" deposit I would not mourn.

No-one, I repeat No-one could possibly run for election on that tory manifesto, continually vote like a good wee party lickspittle and be fit to represent working people just two years later. If he's serious, let him resign his seat and let the CLP select who they want to represent the Party in the resulting by-election. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that traitor. Just because he's crossed the floor in the "right" direction doesn't make him trustworthy, quite the opposite.

15 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I would dearly love to see Ken, in particular stand against that UJ mask-wearing turncoat in the next election - one lost "Labour" deposit I would not mourn.

No-one, I repeat No-one could possibly run for election on that tory manifesto, continually vote like a good wee party lickspittle and be fit to represent working people just two years later. If he's serious, let him resign his seat and let the CLP select who they want to represent the Party in the resulting by-election. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that traitor. Just because he's crossed the floor in the "right" direction doesn't make him trustworthy, quite the opposite.

If someone defected the other way, would there be Tories saying "We can't take him! He used to be one of them!"

No - they'd rub the Labour faces in it over and over again. They wouldn't bother themselves with checking the purity of the soul of the newcomer, they focus on winning elections instead.

Labour should do exactly the same. This defection is a gift as it is a message to the swing voters who are not usually engaged in politics which way the tide is turning. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

If someone defected the other way, would there be Tories saying "We can't take him! He used to be one of them!"

No - they'd rub the Labour faces in it over and over again. They wouldn't bother themselves with checking the purity of the soul of the newcomer, they focus on winning elections instead.

Labour should do exactly the same. This defection is a gift as it is a message to the swing voters who are not usually engaged in politics which way the tide is turning. 

They did.

And now that he is a Labour MP the dissection of his character and flaws begins.

It's a sign of his acceptance. :)

I suppose it's not the kind of thing that would be made public, but has any sitting MP ever been turned down by a party they wanted to defect to?

Edit: which sitting MPs would be turned down by parties, and why? They'd all probably take anyone with a bit of public dedication to their new cause, wouldn't they?

Edited by BFTD

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

It's opportunism, no more than that, and about as sincere as a lifelong Falkirk fan suddenly supporting Dunfermline.

I suppose it's not the kind of thing that would be made public, but has any sitting MP ever been turned down by a party they wanted to defect to?
Edit: which sitting MPs would be turned down by parties, and why? They'd all probably take anyone with a bit of public dedication to their new cause, wouldn't they?
No one would surely touch JRM with the proverbial barge pole ?

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

If he announced that he'd had a Damascene change of heart, castigated the Tories for grinding money out of the people at the bottom of society, and publicly dedicated himself to helping those less fortunate? Labour would be all over that shit.

The Lib Dems would take him even if he admitted to shooting the proles for sport.

5 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

it's...almost as though, much like the Old Firm, Labour & Tory are two cheeks of the same arse.

🤔

On 21/01/2022 at 18:19, Billy Jean King said:
On 21/01/2022 at 17:37, BFTD said:

JRM has six kids..... 

Labour simply aren't tough enough for the Tories shenanigans. Now that Johnson has completely wriggled out of this mess (nap on the Met report being 'published around November this year, by which time no-one will care, and the Gray report never seeing the light of day), Starmer will have to move onto other ground. If they had a bruiser like Andy Burnham in there who would continue to hound Johnson, maybe, but Starmer is way too polite, and part of the establishment. Tories always have the major advantage when it comes to corruption, Labour can't fish in the same pool.

Edited by Jedi