What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

19 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Whoever writes the speeches for senior Labour figures really should lay off the 'spend the first 3 minutes talking about what jobs your parents did' strategy.

Given the alternative is actually offering working and lower middle class people policies which will benefit them and are popular it's not a surprise that they spend their time reminiscing about the secure and relatively well-paid job their parents did if it's blue-collar coded. We definitely need to have a moratorium on letting anyone point to their upbringing as indicative of their class especially if they earn 80 grand a year.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I'd say you are both wrong in the same way. 

The purpose of all the parties now is to manage the decline brought on by the climate crisis and the collapse of capitalist rate of profit in a way which protects the super rich and the small minority they rely on to sustain their lifestyles. 

Tories, Labour, SNP and Greens are doing this perfectly. 

I know exactly why they're doing it but it's very funny to watch how bad they are at doing it. The SNP at least are able to win a substantial number of people over to their cause even while it stalls. On the other hand Labour's base continues to desert them and the people who copy and pasted their gossip into the broadsheets make the minimum possible effort to sell their message as it turns out it's more entertaining to derail a train than drive it.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Given the alternative is actually offering working and lower middle class people policies which will benefit them and are popular it's not a surprise that they spend their time reminiscing about the secure and relatively well-paid job their parents did if it's blue-collar coded. We definitely need to have a moratorium on letting anyone point to their upbringing as indicative of their class especially if they earn 80 grand a year.

I know exactly why they're doing it but it's very funny to watch how bad they are at doing it. The SNP at least are able to win a substantial number of people over to their cause even while it stalls. On the other hand Labour's base continues to desert them and the people who copy and pasted their gossip into the broadsheets make the minimum possible effort to sell their message as it turns out it's more entertaining to derail a train than drive it.

It doesn't matter which party wins. What matters is the dominant ideology and all the parties have that locked in now. 

The Labour right understand this perfectly. 

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

It doesn't matter which party wins. What matters is the dominant ideology and all the parties have that locked in now. 

The Labour right understand this perfectly. 

The Labour Right also want to win when they're in charge. Sometimes (debatably) being good at something (stage managing their internal democracy or wrecking) doesn't mean they're good at everything else. 

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The Labour Right also want to win when they're in charge. Sometimes (debatably) being good at something (stage managing their internal democracy or wrecking) doesn't mean they're good at everything else. 

Agree to disagree. Controlling the Overton window then sailing off into the sunset with a few lucrative jobs a la Tom Watson seems to be the aim of most of them.

Laughing because this is exactly what Dunt and others like him wanted.

It really takes a special type of credulous moron to be continually surprised like a toddler playing peek-a-boo, that a. The Tories are in fact utter c***s and b. The Labour right have absolutely nothing to offer apart from purging the left and trying to look hard with crackdowns, like a poundland version of the Tories.

The British liberal press, never knowingly wallet inspected.

Came on to actually post this, before Dunt's stupidity distracted me.

IMG_20210928_095051.thumb.jpg.a9d02af8ebaed30b605192600e9af41c.jpg

Given that we are an island of curtain twitching, snivelling grasses, this might actually go down well with voters.

'Next generation neighbourhood watch' is heavy Black Mirror vibes though. Not long until an Amazon Prime robotic dog rips me to shreds for walking up the wrong street after it identifies that I couldn't afford any of the houses there.

58 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

Came on to actually post this, before Dunt's stupidity distracted me.

IMG_20210928_095051.thumb.jpg.a9d02af8ebaed30b605192600e9af41c.jpg

Given that we are an island of curtain twitching, snivelling grasses, this might actually go down well with voters.

'Next generation neighbourhood watch' is heavy Black Mirror vibes though. Not long until an Amazon Prime robotic dog rips me to shreds for walking up the wrong street after it identifies that I couldn't afford any of the houses there.

Finally he wants to nationalise something!

Unfortunately it's the Nextdoor app.