What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Big Gordon telling us what we want...

Many Scots don’t want independence, but a more cooperative union

Many Scots don’t want independence, but a more cooperative union | Gordon Brown | The Guardian

Been a while since “North Britain” Brown pitched in with his 10p worth, delighted to see Kirkcaldy return an increased majority for the SNP. Just a shame he retired and we didn’t get the chance to vote him out. No doubt he’ll be wheeled out constantly during Indy Ref 2.

Just had a wee look on SLABs Facebook page and they seem to be full on congratulating themselves on a great election and expecting a great show in the council elections. They do understand they had their worst result EVER yesterday?

SLAB is pretty much the definition insanity these days, keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

They really are stupid - they can't see that what they are doing does more to help the Tories than themselves.

They really are stupid - they can't see that what they are doing does more to help the Tories than themselves.

I’m not even sure 90% of them care anymore it’s just Union at all costs with the ones I know. Scottish Labour seem to have a deep hatred of the SNP that they don’t seem to see the irony in working with the Tories goes against everything they stand for.

I’d say they’re summed up by George Galloway

Gordon Brown is a lying b*****d and anything he says should be immediately filled in the bin. Remember the last referendum when he promised Scotland more powers. How much of that came to pass.

He was an absolute no-mark as PM and in 10 years time people will have forgotten he even was PM

Edited by Wile E Coyote

Gordon Brown is a lying b*****d and anything he says should be immediately filled in the bin. Remember the last referendum when he promised Scotland more powers. How much of that came to pass.
He was an absolute no-mark as PM and in 10 years time people will have forgotten he even was PM

What annoys me most about “the Vow” isn’t the fact it wasn’t delivered the Lib Dems and Labour can rightly put that on the Tories as they’ve been in power. It’s the fact the Lib Dems, Labour, Brown, Red Ed, the Scottish Unionists and the entire media have just pretended it never happened. If Brown, Milliband and Clegg had a shred of honour they’d still be shouting from the rooftops for Cameron / May / Boris to honour it after they’d put their names to it and the media should be doing the same (aye right)

34 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

It’s easy to be angry with Brown, in truth I’m more angry with the stupid/gullible cùnts that believe a word he says.

The Conservatives had once been wiped out in Scotland by the Westminster FPTP system.
The PR of the Holyrood system allowed them to rebuild a representation here to levels where they are now the second party.
If only Labour would realised that Independence may allow them a similar way start to win back their previous levels of support.
Waiting on another U.K. Labour government for a chance to implement there policies looks like a non starter.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

For all that Hartlepool and the north of England was a disaster, Labour’s dominance in London seems to be expanding into the surrounding counties these days.

Very weird times when Hartlepool is voting Tory and Oxfordshire is voting Labour.

Quite a few defeats defeats/losses in the South East for the Conservatives. 

The opposition in many of the South East seats is however the Lib Dems, who barring a few impressive gains in some places have largely failed to make much of a dent. I don't sense a wholesale change coming in a mirror image of the red wall, but it's interesting to see. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Quite a few defeats defeats/losses in the South East for the Conservatives. 

The opposition in many of the South East seats is however the Lib Dems, who barring a few impressive gains in some places have largely failed to make much of a dent. I don't sense a wholesale change coming in a mirror image of the red wall, but it's interesting to see. 

Places like Canterbury have surprisingly gone red in recent years, it's a sign of Labour becoming a party of the well educated, socially liberal middle class. If Boris continues down the route of wooing red wall seats with a mixture of small c conservativism and big state spending, these long time Tory heartlands will move more and more away from the Tories. I think what voters in those areas want is low taxes and progressive social values. I agree that the Lib Dems are more likely to take a lot of them than Labour but it does open up the potential for a Lab/Lib coalition government in the future even if the red wall has turned blue for good.

21 minutes ago, G51 said:

Well, it's finally happened. Rachel Reeves has replaced Anneliese Dodds as Shadow Chancellor.

A win for Labour Accelerationists.

Vice chair of Labour Friends of Israel.  I’m shocked!

37 minutes ago, G51 said:

Well, it's finally happened. Rachel Reeves has replaced Anneliese Dodds as Shadow Chancellor.

A win for Labour Accelerationists.

Shadow cabinet members already briefing against each other over what their roles now entail within minutes of the reshuffle going public.

E0TGCdLX0AM6xSU.jpeg.thumb.jpg.b7607069afe85d102999565cb361d7b9.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Shadow cabinet members already briefing against each other over what their roles now entail within minutes of the reshuffle going public.

E0TGCdLX0AM6xSU.jpeg.thumb.jpg.b7607069afe85d102999565cb361d7b9.jpg

Can you imagine what Rachel Reeves is going to be like as Shadow Chancellor. Looking forward to Labour proposing to give tax relief to fucking debt collectors or something.

Edited by G51

32 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Places like Canterbury have surprisingly gone red in recent years, it's a sign of Labour becoming a party of the well educated, socially liberal middle class. If Boris continues down the route of wooing red wall seats with a mixture of small c conservativism and big state spending, these long time Tory heartlands will move more and more away from the Tories. I think what voters in those areas want is low taxes and progressive social values. I agree that the Lib Dems are more likely to take a lot of them than Labour but it does open up the potential for a Lab/Lib coalition government in the future even if the red wall has turned blue for good.

Agreed. Tories have all but given up on London despite electing a mayor there as recently as 2012 and they seem blind also that many of the voters moving to places like Canterbury are moving out of London. They are young, often well-off professionals that are starting families and can't afford whatever hilarious sum a suitable property in London would cost. These people don't just turn into classic Tory voters overnight, and having lived in one of the most multi-cultural cities on the planet, Brexit isn't doing anything for them either. 

I also agree that the Johnson government's attitude towards spending is tetanus to them. Be interesting to see how this trend goes, along with how long "he delivered Brexit" and money being chucked at the North of England will keep the red wall voters happy. 

Saying this, I think the last thing the Labour Party needs to win back the voters it needs to win elections is more success in the South. You and I both know Canterbury and Oxfordshire are not in London, but they're filed under "metropolitan elite" as if they were London. Pretty much in the same way southerners categorise Northern England tbf.