What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

6 hours ago, Michael W said:

Dodds is tragic so that one's been a long time coming. Completely ineffectual and just lacks any sort of profile. 

So impressive is Dodds' ability to remain completely inconspicuous despite holding the second most important job in the opposition, at a time of massive focus on government and parliament, that she should consider a career in subterfuge after she leaves politics. She's perfected hiding in plain sight.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Radio Scotland today were peddling the narrative that for Anas Sarwars job was to stop the rot and he achieved that.

He lost two seats.

Arguably he at least had a coherent strategy that didn't involve telling his own supporters who support independence that they're terrible people. Labour were at risk of a serious further collapse under Leonard, they were polling below 15% at times, so he's steadied the ship. But until the constitutional question is resolved one way or another Labour are just caught in the crossfire.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

The issue that no Scottish Labour leader can overcome is demographics: their rump Central Belt vote are all boomers, who are living in some of the lowest life expectancy areas in the whole of Europe. Almost nobody under 40 is voting for them in Greenock or the rest of their former heartlands, so simply reducing the pace of their natural decline is a decent enough job. 

I don't think the life expectancy in posh bits of Edinburgh is close to the lowest in Europe. Morningside and The Grange are the Labour heartlands now.

The impression I get is that the younger generation of Labour politicians like Monica Lennon are far removed from Oldskool ones like Baillie on the IndyRef2 issue and see the damage circling the wagons with the Tories (& Lib-Dems) in 2014 has done to the party up here.

Sarwar kicked the can down the road during the campaign by stating no IndyRef2 in this (Holyrood) parliament but I think it's a question of whether he can hold his MSP together when the debate comes up - as it will do.

Edited by btb

It looked as if the SNP would form the next Government so Labour Unionists could hold their nose and tactically vote Tory where it counted knowing they wouldn't be able to enact any policies.

The question I have is that if it looked like there was any danger that the Tories could have formed the next Scottish government would Labour Unionists have still voted for them?

It looked as if the SNP would form the next Government so Labour Unionists could hold their nose and tactically vote Tory where it counted knowing they wouldn't be able to enact any policies.
The question I have is that if it looked like there was any danger that the Tories could have formed the next Scottish government would Labour Unionists have still voted for them?
Yes, the Union appears to have more importance than any principles they once held.

Sarwar should be getting kicked from pillar to post in the media as a result of SLab’s dismal performance, but he’s not.

Johnson is largely despised in Scotland, they can no longer blame Corbyn for Labour’s woes and Sarwar was supposedly seen as a ‘good’, competent leader.  Yet they lost votes (in percentage terms) and lost seats.

Nothing other than abject failure.

The funny thing is, they’ve not reached close to rock bottom yet.

Just had a wee look on SLABs Facebook page and they seem to be full on congratulating themselves on a great election and expecting a great show in the council elections. They do understand they had their worst result EVER yesterday?

SLAB is pretty much the definition insanity these days, keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Just had a wee look on SLABs Facebook page and they seem to be full on congratulating themselves on a great election and expecting a great show in the council elections. They do understand they had their worst result EVER yesterday?

SLAB is pretty much the definition insanity these days, keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

They will be along shortly telling everybody that they" will listen to the voters" and then carry on doing the same thing it's tremendous to watch.

Ian Murray is always good for " what I'm hearing on the doorsteps" when he has never chapped a door in about 10 years 

10 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

But they are dying slower than before. Success.

They will be along shortly telling everybody that they" will listen to the voters" and then carry on doing the same thing it's tremendous to watch.
Ian Murray is always good for " what I'm hearing on the doorsteps" when he has never chapped a door in about 10 years 

100% it’ll be the standard “root and branch review” decide it’s just a protest vote and double down on Union at all costs. There’s none so blind as those who will not see.

I just couldn't be arsed caring about Labour nowadays. The most vocal Labour supporters on Twitter, whether they are on the left or right of the party, mostly just seem like unlikable and unjustly smug bellends. 

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I just couldn't be arsed caring about Labour nowadays. The most vocal Labour supporters on Twitter, whether they are on the left or right of the party, mostly just seem like unlikable and unjustly smug bellends. 

If only there was a humble and devoted person who has a decades long record of fighting for a fairer society

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-election-results-keir-starmer-corbyn-b1844511.html

12 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

https://i0.wp.com/labourhame.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/DH-crop.jpgExhibit A

For all that Hartlepool and the north of England was a disaster, Labour’s dominance in London seems to be expanding into the surrounding counties these days.

Very weird times when Hartlepool is voting Tory and Oxfordshire is voting Labour.