What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Sarwar on the radio this morning saying with a lot of hard work and some luck Scottish Labour may be able to come second in the elections.

Aim high, Anas, aim high.

To be fair that's realistic. 

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Going by his comments about the suspended Aberdeen councillors, he intends on coming second by forming a coalition with the Tories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-56238614

The writing was on the wall when Baillie won the Deputy Leadership. Scottish Labour could've had Monica Lennon and Matt Kerr and chose Anas Sarwar and Jackie Baillie.. Can't imagine why no one takes their social justice and class rhetoric seriously!

Certainly very disappointed by the appointment of Anas Sarwar, would have much prefered Monica Lennon. Both as a more genuine character, and not in the 'New' Labour mould, and also having a more realistic opinion of the constitutional question.

I'm guessing that the only people disappointed by SLab's new appointment are Labour party members. The Tories and SNP will be happy enough that Labour's decline is being appropriately managed.

Bit of a minter that there's no sign of the Greens becoming Scotland's third party TBH, but still hope for fruitcakes like those wee bigoted family parties.

53 minutes ago, G51 said:

So it turns out Keir Starmer is a shit.

https://novaramedia.com/2021/03/02/keir-starmer-is-a-long-time-servant-of-the-british-security-state/

Some pretty sickening stuff in here, none of which will likely surprise anyone. Still though, would have been nice to know this before he became Labour leader.

To be honest, I'm at the point whereby I couldn't give shiny shite about the particulars of Westminster politicians. The entire thing is irredeemably corrupt, and the only thing that concerns me now is Scotland uncoupling itself from an increasingly English Nationalist state, in which even the 'left' have to pander to jingoistic, flag-waving morons who have a hard-on for military fetishism and worship the past. 

For decades the UK has been gradually descending into the sort of place that I just don't want to be part of, and the UK parties are now reflective of that in the sort of people they are electing to lead. This is a case of 'you get the politicians you deserve' as much as it is Starmer pandering to anything for me, so it's unsurprising to learn that England is getting politicians that are reflective of an insular, xenophobic, and narrow-minded outlook in the wider population, and that rather than attempting to stand up to it and correct it, they're going for the far more cowardly option of jumping on the bandwagon. 

It was a total disappointment of a Labour government that convinced me of the need for Independence, and I've never really held any hope that Labour would somehow find a way to change my mind on that. As you say, I'm not remotely surprised that Starmer is turning out to be every bit the self-owning facepalm that New Labour was.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 hours ago, G51 said:

So it turns out Keir Starmer is a shit.

https://novaramedia.com/2021/03/02/keir-starmer-is-a-long-time-servant-of-the-british-security-state/

Some pretty sickening stuff in here, none of which will likely surprise anyone. Still though, would have been nice to know this before he became Labour leader.

Impressive to come out of a punitive justice issue looking more authoritarian than Theresa May

So it turns out his instruction to abstain on the decriminalisation of torture, rape and murder by the state wasn't borne out of an abhorrent approach to political expediency in thinking it was necessary to ignore all principles to appeal to the electorate. As a point of principle he just genuinely believes that torture is good, actually.

This story coming along at the same time as the Liverpool scabbing which also has a whiff of racism about it and his net favourability going negative, while the Tories rise in the polls. Is there a chance the centre of the party will start turning against him with him being Labour's IDS and never making it as far as an election?

Edited by Dunning1874

He's almost done I think. A genuine galaxy brain idea by the right of the party to annoint someone who only appeals to Guardian commentators and was going to continue the civil war and purge the left, rather than build bridges.

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

So it turns out his instruction to abstain on the decriminalisation of torture, rape and murder by the state wasn't borne out of an abhorrent approach to political expediency in thinking it was necessary to ignore all principles to appeal to the electorate. As a point of principle he just genuinely believes that torture is good, actually.

This story coming along at the same time as the Liverpool scabbing which also has a whiff of racism about it and his net favourability going negative, while the Tories rise in the polls. Is there a chance the centre of the party will start turning against him with him being Labour's IDS and never making it as far as an election?

Same with that little creep David Miliband all the Fantasy Politics nerds obsessed over. A gormless looking creep who probably enjoyed presiding over extradition.

35 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

He's almost done I think. A genuine galaxy brain idea by the right of the party to annoint someone who only appeals to Guardian commentators and was going to continue the civil war and purge the left, rather than build bridges.

Everyone that sincerely believed he had a better chance of winning an election than Corbyn should be committing ritual seppuku when he goes. This country would have a much healthier media climate if we killed a random 5% of the commentariat who called any major event wrong. There'd have been no one left from Brexit let alone something like the Iraq War.

11 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Same with that little creep David Miliband all the Fantasy Politics nerds obsessed over. A gormless looking creep who probably enjoyed presiding over extradition.

He's absolutely up there with Miliband and Jack Straw types who genuinely get aroused by the idea of approving such acts to look tougher than the Tories. Just a fundamentally appalling human being.

So they think increasing corporation tax is austerity and they oppose it as to aid the recovery no one should be paying more, even businesses making massively increased profits. However they're fine with low paid workers having to pay more?

Pasokification is on the way.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

So they think increasing corporation tax is austerity and they oppose it as to aid the recovery no one should be paying more, even businesses making massively increased profits. However they're fine with low paid workers having to pay more?

Pasokification is on the way.

I was just about to post that. Absolutely unreal. 

The Tories have been raising the personal allowance as an acknowledgement that real wages have been in decline or stagnant for a decade. Now we are another going to have a decade of no wage rises without any relief.

As you say it hits the lowest paid hardest. Sickening. 

Working for minimum wage is going to be magic for the next 4+ years, now that it's going to be slowly reducing. I don't think most people realise exactly how close to the breadline that actually is.

I guess there's always prostitution. Any takers? No?