What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

What a useless dick default_laugh.png

Thank god we’ve got the adults back in the room offering forensic opposition.

Just listen to that intelligent discourse:

Giving the people what they really want, not nationalised broadband, or ensuring the hungry are fed, but real politics, like letting the ruling classes do whatever they want with no consequences. On yerself Sir Keef.

Give Sir Keir a couple of years to blandly merge himself into the centrist political pool and he'll come out alright come next general election time imo.

Certainly will perform better than Corbyn, he's definitely playing a longer game and I don't necessarily think it will work, the whole out torying the tories approach might win back red wall voters but I can't see them making much inroads anywhere else. 

Give Sir Keir a couple of years to blandly merge himself into the centrist political pool and he'll come out alright come next general election time imo.
 Certainly will perform better than Corbyn, he's definitely playing a longer game and I don't necessarily think it will work, the whole out torying the tories approach might win back red wall voters but I can't see them making much inroads anywhere else. 

He might do better than 2019 but he won’t match 2017 and definitely won’t win power. You can take to the bank.

Just now, NotThePars said:

He might do better than 2019 but he won’t match 2017 and definitely won’t win power. You can take to the bank.

Do you know the numbers loosely off hand for 2017? Not membership surges or anything like that just seats won. 

I doubt Keir will match it but I need to see the figures again to have an idea. He might win power if the Tories collapse or if Bojo gets bored, there's a lot of time and space before the next GE, having said that I'm not claiming he would deffo win one, it would be very close if he were to win, nothing like the Blair era. 

My maw still wants Ed Miliband to return like the prodigal son. 

What a folks thoughts on Monica Lennon? See she has called for Hancock to resign while Starmer isn’t bothered.

Sometimes I get the feeling Monica is a closet independence supporter.
If Monica Lennon were to win the leadership race, I think it would have a more detrimental effect on independence.
She could keep soft no's on her side, and she might persuade some soft Labour voting yes's to change. She appears to be more in tune with Labour and ex Labour voters in Scotland.
And she doesn't appear to be an arsehole.
It won't happen though, as Sarwar is the Labour leaderships choice.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

What a folks thoughts on Monica Lennon? See she has called for Hancock to resign while Starmer isn’t bothered.

Sometimes I get the feeling Monica is a closet independence supporter.

Aye, she is one of these people where you think "How are you a unionist?". And I mean that as a compliment to her.

1 hour ago, jakedee said:

If Monica Lennon were to win the leadership race, I think it would have a more detrimental effect on independence.
She could keep soft no's on her side, and she might persuade some soft Labour voting yes's to change. She appears to be more in tune with Labour and ex Labour voters in Scotland.
And she doesn't appear to be an arsehole.
It won't happen though, as Sarwar is the Labour leaderships choice.

I think that could go one of two ways. It could simply highlight the futility of the situation as in, 'look you can have the exact kind of Labour leader you want in Scotland but it won't make a blind bit of difference". If Monica Lennon is the type of leader you want, the only way she's going to be able to achieve anything significant is in an independent Scotland. Whilst in the union, all she'll ever be able to do is mitigate somewhat against a Westminster government who'll inevitably have to chase after and cater to a bunch of gammon Brexiteers south of the border.

I think that could go one of two ways. It could simply highlight the futility of the situation as in, 'look you can have the exact kind of Labour leader you want in Scotland but it won't make a blind bit of difference". If Monica Lennon is the type of leader you want, the only way she's going to be able to achieve anything significant is in an independent Scotland. Whilst in the union, all she'll ever be able to do is mitigate somewhat against a Westminster government who'll inevitably have to chase after and cater to a bunch of gammon Brexiteers south of the border.

I don’t know much about her but when I’ve seen her talk/read stuff she has said - she doesn’t come across as a staunch, raging unionist.

Agree with you that there is a limit to what she can achieve with Scottish Labour. I can see her not getting the leadership post and then at a later point coming out in support of independence. She’s not an idiot - she will become disillusioned with Keir Starmer and Labour soon enough.

Scottish Labours would see a significant rise in popularity if they distanced themselves from Starmers Labour and announced they were open to the idea of independence.

6 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I don’t know much about her but when I’ve seen her talk/read stuff she has said - she doesn’t come across as a staunch, raging unionist.

Agree with you that there is a limit to what she can achieve with Scottish Labour. I can see her not getting the leadership post and then at a later point coming out in support of independence. She’s not an idiot - she will become disillusioned with Keir Starmer and Labour soon enough.

Scottish Labours would see a significant rise in popularity if they distanced themselves from Starmers Labour and announced they were open to the idea of independence.

Why would anyone that's pro Indy switch from SNP/Greens to Scottish Labour because they support Independence? I'd imagine such a move would lose them the slim amount of voters they actually have at the moment.