What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Monica Lennon would be a very effective leader of Scottish Labour and for this reason she will not win.

Yup.

Scottish Labour needs to wake up and realise that it needs to change.

Continuing with the likes of Sarwar, Bailie & Brown is the problem.

I suspect Lennon is merely a stalking horse to avoid the suspicion that Scottish Labour is so devoid of talent that Sarwar is the only candidate in town.
And whilst that may well be true, the problem will remain their policies - devotion to Trident, approval of Brexit, branch office of London, and above all head-burying contempt for the defining issue in Scottish politics.

I’m surprised Lennon has gone for it. She would be a better leader in isolation than Sarwar but if she somehow fluked a win she’d be getting briefed against from day one.

I haven’t paid my dues in about 9 months so I don’t think I’ll even qualify to vote anymore.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I’m surprised Lennon has gone for it. She would be a better leader in isolation than Sarwar but if she somehow fluked a win she’d be getting briefed against from day one.

I haven’t paid my dues in about 9 months so I don’t think I’ll even qualify to vote anymore.

Wow you were a fully paid up member of 'Scottish' Labour only nine months ago?  I don't think I've ever met a real bona fide nutcase before.  

That must have been pretty rough taking all those L's eh, you have had the skelping of a lifetime the last six years, and its been absolutely beautiful.

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Wow you were a fully paid up member of 'Scottish' Labour only nine months ago?  I don't think I've ever met a real bona fide nutcase before.  

Could you consider calming your jets a tad? You're not so much coming across as passionate about independence as a total arsehole. 

That must have been pretty rough taking all those L's eh, you have had the skelping of a lifetime the last six years, and its been absolutely beautiful.

You repeatedly ask strangers on a forum if they like sucking cock and what their genital preferences are

Eta: oh and respond to digs about your posting style by calling people rapists

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yeah, what we really should be doing is going after people who leave the Labour party. Go back where you came from, our side's full up buddy.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Monica Lennon would be a very effective leader of Scottish Labour and for this reason she will not win.

I've read the bit in bold over and over, but I still have no grasp of the concept, I'm afraid.

Much like Scottish Labour, amirite?

6 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Also she's indicated support for an independence referendum.

She's also said she wants ScotLab to be independent (sic) of the party down south, should she make this the focus of her campaign?

I'd say yes but then I'm unlikely to vote Labour this side of Independence.

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

She's successfully brought about a law change that benefits women and she's extremely hostile to the dinosaurs in the party. If she was leader she would set about purging them and making the party attractive to young people. It would not earn her any friends but it would be a good thing for the leader of a party with no immediate hopes of power to do.

I was going for the "So long since they had one, it's hard to imagine what it would look like" joke...

So far Lennon has the support of two MSPs - one of them notably being Neil Findlay - while Sarwar has the backing of 11 MSPs and the MP. You need 4 nominations from MSPs or MPs to stand, so Lennon might not even make it to the ballot papers. I suspect a couple of other MSPs will nominate her, if only to create a contest and avoid a coronation that I doubt even Sarwar wants.

Ballot Box Scotland are running an excellent page on it here: http://ballotbox.scot/scottish-parliament/scottish-labour-leadership-election-2021 

I'd never vote for her, but TBF Monica Lennon is very visible on our local Facebook group and on more than one occasion had stepped in to personally sort out issues people have had. 

Recently, during the snow, a young single mother was without heating in a council flat and slc were being fucking arseholes about it. ML sorted it within half a day. I was pretty impressed tbh 

The problem with the people who decide the Labour leadership is that they simultaneously

1. only consider how 'electable' the public will find each candidate and
  2. have no fucking feel for what the public think... at all.
Edited by Gordon EF